With Renault Koleos sales increasing even as it nears the end of its lifecycle, the French brand has bolstered its line-up with a new Zen 4×4 variant.
Announced late last year along with price increases of up to $2900 across the range, the Zen 4×4 has joined the rest of the Koleos range in receiving yet another price increase.
UPDATE, 22/05/2023 – We’ve updated this article with the latest Koleos price increases.
Announced in March, prices are up by between $500 and $800. Late last year, Renault increased prices of the Zen 4×2 by $2900, the base Life by $2000, and Intens models by $200.
Features now standard across the range for the 2023 model year include blind-spot monitoring, front and side parking sensors, rear privacy glass, chrome exterior highlights, auto-folding side mirrors, interior ambient lighting, sun visors with illuminated mirrors, and a height-adjustable front passenger seat.
Life and Zen variants also receive a new 18-inch alloy wheel design.
The mid-spec Zen variant, besides receiving a new 4×4 option, now has LED reversing lights, dynamic rear indicators, a hands-free power tailgate, 8.7-inch portrait touchscreen infotainment system, chrome ‘Koleos’ door sill plates, black leather upholstery, one-touch folding rear seats, and park assist.
The range-topping Intens now receives an eight-speaker Arkamys 3D sound system like the rest of the range, instead of the previous Bose sound system. Sand Grey Nappa leather has also been removed from the Intens’ option list.
All three Koleos trim levels are now no longer available with front fog lights and the wide-view driver’s side mirror.
Koleos sales jumped 31.8 per cent last year to 2552 units, its best year since 2018. That result saw it beat the Ford Escape (2179 sales), Peugeot 3008 (722 sales) and Skoda Karoq (979 sales), and come close to besting the Volkswagen Tiguan (2658 sales).
The current generation was launched in 2016. Since then, its Nissan X-Trail platform-mate has entered a new generation, and yet Renault has yet to commit to a third-generation Koleos.
“[The] Koleos continues as is, product run this and next year and after that we don’t know,” Renault Australia boss Glen Sealey told CarExpert earlier this year.
- 2023 Renault Koleos Life: $37,500 (+$500)
- 2023 Renault Koleos Zen 4×2: $42,500 (+$800)
- 2023 Renault Koleos Zen 4×4: $45,000 (+$800)
- 2023 Renault Koleos Intens 4×2: $46,000 (+$800)
- 2023 Renault Koleos Intens 4×4: $48,500 (+$800)
All pricing is before on-road costs.
Powering the entire 2023 Renault Koleos range is a 2.5-litre naturally aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine producing 126kW of power and 226Nm of torque.
This is mated to a continuously-variable transmission (CVT) with drive sent to the front wheels only in 4×2 models and through an all-wheel drive system in 4×4 models.
Renault claims that 4×2 models can do the 0-100km/h sprint in 9.5 seconds, whereas 4×4 models can do the 0-100km/h sprint in 9.8 seconds. Flat out you’ll be doing 200km/h.
Official fuel consumption figures for the 2023 Renault Koleos are 8.1L/100km in 4×2 models and 8.3L/100km in 4×4 models.
The Koleos runs on 91 RON regular unleaded petrol and all models have a 60L fuel tank.
The 2023 Renault Koleos measures in at 4673mm long, 1843mm wide, and 1667mm tall, with a 2705mm wheelbase.
Boot space with the rear seats upright is 493L, which can be expanded to 1707L with them folded.
The 2023 Renault Koleos is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty with five years of roadside assist.
Logbook servicing is required every 12 months or 30,000km, whichever comes first, with the first five capped-price services costing a total of $2750.
The Renault Koleos has a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on testing conducted in 2017.
It received an adult occupant protection score of 84 per cent, child occupant protection score of 79 per cent, vulnerable road user protection score of 62 per cent, and a safety assist score of 52 per cent.
All 2023 Renault Koleos models come with the following standard safety features:
- Front, side and curtain airbags
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Forward collision warning
- Lane-departure warning
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear-view camera
- Front, rear and side parking sensors
- Tyre-pressure monitoring
The 2023 Renault Koleos Life comes standard with the following features:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- 17-inch steel spare wheel
- Chrome lower side body and rear bumper highlights
- Satin grey roof rails
- Shark fin antenna
- Rear privacy glass
- Auto-folding and heated side mirrors
- Automatic LED headlights
- LED daytime running lights
- Rear fog light
- Rain-sensing window wipers
- 7.0-inch landscape touchscreen infotainment system
- 7.0-inch TFT LCD digital instrument cluster
- Wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- DAB+ digital radio
- Eight-speaker Arkamys 3D sound system
- Dual-zone climate control
- Heated and cooled front cupholders
- Two front USB-A ports
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Automatic ‘walk away’ door locking
- Front LED cabin lights
- Customisable interior lighting
- Sun visors with illuminated mirror
- Black cloth and leatherette upholstery
- Height adjustable front seats
The Zen adds the following:
- LED reversing lights
- Sweeping rear indicators
- Chrome ‘Koleos’ door sill plates
- Hands-free powered tailgate
- 8.7-inch portrait touchscreen infotainment system
- Satellite navigation
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Rear LED cabin lights
- Black leather upholstery
- Electrically-adjustable driver’s seat with electric lumbar support
- Heated front seats
- One-touch folding rear seats
- Park assist
- Hill descent control (4×4 model only)
The range-topping Intens adds:
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Electric panoramic sunroof
- Side mirror tilting when reversing
- Black Nappa leather upholstery
- Electric front passenger seat
- Memory and massage driver seat
- Ventilated front seats
- Tilting front headrests
The 2023 Renault Koleos is available in the following exterior paint colours:
- Millesim Red
- Metallic Black
- Metallic Grey
- Metallic White
Every colour except for Millesim Red costs an additional $800.