The updated 2021 Lexus LS goes on sale from January 20, priced from $195,953 plus on-road costs in Australia.
In hybrid models, the lithium-ion battery pack and electric motor have had their ‘range of operation’ expanded, which Lexus claims results in “smoother and more linear acceleration in city driving” and reduced noise levels.
Lexus LS500 models get a revised piston design for the twin-turbo V6 engine which helps to reduce noise when the engine is cold, while other modifications to the chassis and mechanicals reduce weight and make for a “smoother, more comfortable ride”.
F Sport variants also gain new safety technologies previously reserved for the flagship Sports Luxury grade, including active steering assist, speed reduction on corners for the lane tracing assist function, front cross-traffic alert and junction AEB.
All models now get a digital rear-view mirror for the first time, and there’s a new 12.3-inch widescreen infotainment unit with touch functionality. The LS now joins the updated IS in offering Lexus Connected Services – company speak for online functions and services through the infotainment system.
Rounding out the 2021 changes are a new seat cushion and seam design to further increase comfort, and there’s new personalisation option both inside and out.
- 2021 Lexus LS500 F Sport: $195,953 (+$1817)
- 2021 Lexus LS500h F Sport: $195,953 (+$1565)
- 2021 Lexus LS500 Sports Luxury: $201,078 (+$1442)
- 2021 Lexus LS500h Sports Luxury: $201,078 (+$1190)
All prices exclude on-road costs
2021 Lexus LS500 models employ a 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6 petrol engine developing 310kW of power at 6000rpm and 600Nm of torque between 1600 and 4800rpm.
Acceleration from 0-100km/h takes a claimed 5.0 seconds with top speed quoted at 250km/h.
Meanwhile, the LS500h pairs a 220kW/350Nm 3.5-litre naturally-aspirated V6 with a 132kW electric motor, making for a system power output of 264kW. Lexus and Toyota tend to not quote combined torque outputs for their hybrid models.
The hybrid completes the 0-100 dash in 5.4 seconds, and can also hit a top speed of 250km/h.
Lexus claims the LS500h V6 hybrid will consume just 6.6L/100km on the combined cycle.
Opting for the LS500 twin-turbo V6 raises that claimed figure to 9.5L/100km.
In F Sport guise, the Lexus LS500 measures 5235mm long, 1900mm wide, 1450mm tall and has a 3125mm wheelbase.
The LS500 F Sport weighs 2240kg (kerb), while the LS500h F Sport is slightly heavier at 2280kg (kerb).
Luggage space is quoted at 480L for both the LS500 and LS500h.
Like the wider Lexus line-up, the LS500 and LS500h are covered by a four-year, 100,000-kilometre warranty with 48 months of roadside assistance.
The purchase of a Lexus LS also gets customers access to the company’s premier Encore Platinum Owner benefits program – a three-year subscription encompassing capped-price servicing, service loan cars, hotel partnerships and exclusive member-invite events, as well as vouchers for valet parking and the Lexus On Demand program which allows owners to book another vehicle when travelling.
Scheduled maintenance is required every 12 months or 15,000 kilometres, whichever comes first. The first three visits will cost $595 each.
The Lexus LS currently remains unrated by both ANCAP and its Euro NCAP equivalent.
Regardless, the LS comes with a full suite of Lexus Safety System+ assistance features. Standard safety equipment includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist (daylight) detection
- Lane-keeping assist with lane tracing assist and curve speed reduction
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Road sign assist
- Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic assist
- Front cross-traffic alert with junction AEB
- Front lateral side pre-collision system
- Active steering assist
- 10 airbags
Opting for the Sports Luxury grade ups the airbag count to 12.
Highlights for all Lexus LS models include:
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and satellite navigation
- DAB+ radio
- DVD player, USB (x4) and AUX input
- 23-speaker Mark Levinson audio with subwoofer
- Colour head-up display
- Adaptive suspension
- Height-adjustable multi-link front and rear air suspension
- Front and rear parking sensors with front cross-traffic alert and rear cross-traffic assist
- LED headlights with adaptive high-beam
- LED daytime running lights (DRLs) with sequential indicators
- Tilt and slide moonroof
- Touchless (foot sensing) power boot lid
- Keyless smart entry (all doors) with smart key card
- Soft-close doors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Illuminated door handles with front puddle lights
- Auto retractable, heated and self-dimming exterior mirrors with memory
- Digital rear-view mirror
- Lexus climate concierge with infrared body temperature sensors
- Heated and ventilated front seats with rear heated outer seats
- 28-way power-operated front seats with memory
- Driver’s seat with easy access functions
- Heated steering wheel
- Smart start and push-button start
- Electric rear sunshade
- Adaptive cruise control
- Surround-view camera
- Lexus Connected Services including automatic collision notification, SOS emergency call and stolen vehicle tracking
Lexus LS F Sport unique features:
- 20-inch dark metallic alloy wheels
- F Sport badging, grilles and dark metallic accents
- High performance brake package
- Dynamic rear steering
- Variable gear ratio steering
- Active front and rear stabilisers (LS500 only)
- Dual-zone climate control
- LFA-style 8.0-inch digital instrumentation with slide-out meter ring
- Leather-accented seats and ornamentation
- F Sport seats
- F Sport steering wheel, shift lever, clock and pedals
- 10 SRS airbags
Lexus LS Sports Luxury unique features:
- Sports Luxury 20-inch hollow chamber alloy wheels
- Quad-zone climate control
- 8.0-inch Sports Luxury digital instrumentation
- Semi-aniline leather-accented interior
- Choice of unique ornamentations, some at additional cost
- Front seat relaxation system
- Dual 11.6-inch HD rear seat entertainment screens with HDMI input
- Power-operated outboard rear seats with memory
- Rear seat (passenger side) with full recline function and ottoman
- Rear-seat massage System for outboard seats
- Rear armrest with touchscreen climate, audio and massage controls
- Electric rear side sunshades
- Rear cooler box (LS500 only)
- Rear ventilated outer seats
- Front seat easy access seatbelt buckles
- 12 SRS Airbags (additional rear-seat cushion airbags)
Click the images for the full gallery