Tesla has recalled the 2014-18 Model S and 2016-18 Model Y to fix a problem with an 8GB embedded multimedia card.
According to Tesla, the ‘eMMC’ could malfunction over time. If a problem occurs:
- The central display may black out and not recover after restarting the touchscreen
- There may be loss of certain functionalities, including rearview backup camera, exterior turn signal lighting and windshield defogging and defrosting controls
- A vehicle alert to contact Service may appear
“The loss of these functions may increase the risk of an accident resulting in injury to the vehicle occupants and other road users,” Tesla says in its recall notice.
- A total of 2508 cars are included in the recall
- Affected Model S vehicles were sold between 1 May, 2014 and 30 June, 2018
- Affected Model X vehicles were sold between 1 January, 2017 and 30 June, 2018
- A VIN list of affected vehicles are attached here
- The original recall notice is attached here
Tesla will contact affected owners and advise them to have the faulty eMMC replaced. Concerned owners can check out this website for more information.