The time taken for a used car to be sold in Australia continues to fall from the highs experienced just three months ago, but overall sales dropped in February despite more listings appearing.

    February 2024 sales data released by the Australian Automotive Dealer Association (AADA), compiled by data firm AutoGrab, shows there were 179,448 used vehicles under 10 years old sold last month, a drop of more than 2000 (or 1.2 per cent) compared to January 2024.

    This is despite used car listings rising by 1.3 per cent to 286,329, with 57.6 per cent put up for sale privately and the remaining 42.4 per cent sitting on dealer lots.

    “Overall, the used car market seems to be presenting opportunities for consumers interested in buying a used car,” AADA CEO James Voortman said.

    “A strong start to 2024 new car deliveries is flowing down into the used car market, with a slight rise of 1.3 per cent in the number of vehicles listed for sale in the month.”

    On average, it’s taking 44 days for a used car to sell – significantly down on 52 days in November 2023, and the lowest point since the 40.5 days recorded in March 2023.

    The used vehicle sales charts continue to be dominated by the Ford Ranger and Toyota HiLux, reflecting the new vehicle market.

    While its average retained value has dropped slightly, the Suzuki Jimny remains the slowest-depreciating used vehicle in Australia, with a retained value of 128.9 per cent – ahead of the Toyota LandCruiser, Toyota 86, Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris.

    Best-selling used cars – February 2024

    While the top five order is unchanged, the Mitsubishi Triton surpassed the Toyota RAV4 as the sixth best-selling used vehicle last month.

    Further down the order, the Volkswagen Golf slipped out of the top 10 rankings, replaced by the Toyota LandCruiser.

    ModelSales (February 2024)Change from JanuaryAverage days to sell
    Ford Ranger4933+4.1%44.1
    Toyota HiLux3922+3.5%44.1
    Toyota Corolla3459+2.4%30.4
    Hyundai i302463-4.1%31.0
    Toyota Camry2304+1.6%35.0
    Mitsubishi Triton2290+2.7%43.3
    Toyota RAV42168-3.1%35.4
    Mazda 32146-2.4%32.1
    Mazda CX-52070-1.1%41.7
    Toyota LandCruiser1937+5.8%50.9

    Used car sales by state – February 2024

    As can be expected, the most populous state had the highest number of used vehicles sold, with about 8500 more cars finding new homes in New South Wales compared to Victoria.

    Victoria was the only region where sales increased (albeit by just 0.4 per cent) while Tasmania’s used vehicle market experienced a 9.3 per cent drop.

    State/territoryVehicles listedVehicles sold
    QLD61,735 39,122

    Sales by vehicle type – February 2024

    Listed for saleTotal sales
    Passenger cars101,29973,423
    Vans and buses95185126

    Sales by fuel type – February 2024

    The largest rise in vehicle sales by fuel type last month came from electric vehicles (EVs), with the 1232 examples sold in February representing a 7.1 per cent increase.

    By contrast, there were 115,468 petrol vehicles sold (down 2.2 per cent), 56,114 diesels (up 0.1 per cent), and 6280 hybrids (up 4.6 per cent).

    LPG-powered vehicles continued to outsell plug-in hybrids on the used market, recording 219 and 135 sales respectively.

    Plug-in hybrid (PHEV)271135

    MORE: Used car sales rise in strong start to 2024
    MORE: Australia’s best-selling used cars in December 2023
    MORE: Australia’s used car sales results for 2023 revealed

    Jordan Mulach

    Born and raised in Canberra, Jordan has worked as a full-time automotive journalist since 2021, being one of the most-published automotive news writers in Australia before joining CarExpert in 2024.

    Buy and Lease
    Uncover exclusive deals and discounts with a VIP referral to Australia's best dealers
    Uncover exclusive deals and discounts with a VIP referral to Australia's best dealers