The much-anticipated Kia EV6 GT will be priced around $100,000 – leaked third-party pricing data shows a $99,950 RRP – making it the brand’s fastest, most expensive car to date.
The EV6 GT is a powerful beast. Front and rear axle drive motors deliver power of 430kW and peak torque of 740Nm, slashing the zero to 100km/h time to around 3.5 seconds and upping top speed to 260km/h.
The power output of the EV6 GT is thereby 80 per cent higher than that of the next most powerful EV6 variant, the AWD dual-motor model, which has 239kW and 605Nm.
The EV6 GT sports an electronic limited-slip differential, and electronically controlled adaptive suspension, in which damping force is automatically adjusted according to the vehicle speed, road surface, cornering, stopping and acceleration requirements.
GT Drive Mode configures the e-motors, braking, steering, semi-active dampers, e-LSD and ESC systems into their most dynamic settings, while Drift Mode sends 100 per cent of torque to the rear wheels to achieve sideways drifting “with small steering angle”.
The GT also gains its own variable gear ratio steering system that builds weight progressively as speeds increase. There are 2.3 turns lock-to-lock, compared to 2.67 for the standard EV6.
Additional bracing has been added to the GT for increased body stiffness resulting in improved vehicle response speeds and more agile handling – an area the regular EV6 is already quite good in.
In July, Kia’s local arm detailed the local ride and handling tune program for the EV6 GT, which started at the Nurburgring in Germany and continued onto Australian roads.
In a sense, the EV6 will take over from the Stinger as the company’s performance halo, although the twin-turbo V6 liftback is destined to solider on for 2023 at the very least at this stage – though its longer-term future is less clear.
- 77.4kWh battery
- Twin motors – 430kW and 740Nm
- 21-inch alloy wheels
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres
- IFS LED headlights
- LED DRLs
- LED tail lights
- Sequential Indicators
- Acoustic film, solar privacy glass
- Auto-folding flush door handles
- Rain sensor
- V2L exterior
- Wide sunroof
- GT body design with green brake callipers
- Electronic controlled suspension
- Dial type shifter
- Paddle shifters (regen control)
- LED interior lighting
- V2L interior
- Artificial leather steering wheel
- 64-colour ambient mood lights
- Active sound design via speakers
- GT Mode button on steering wheel
- Artificial leather and suede bucket seats
- Heated steering wheel and seats
- Augmented reality head-up display
- Dual curved displays (12.3-inch x 2)
- Inbuilt navigation
- 14-speaker Meridian sound system
- Wireless phone charger
- Smart key and button start
- Dual-zone climate control
- Electro-chromatic mirror
- Remote Smart Park Assist
- Power tailgate
- AEB with junction turning
- Blind-spot detection
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-following assist
- Intelligent speed limit assist
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind Spot View Monitor
- 3D surround-view camera
MORE: Everything Kia EV6