The Mazda CX-5 loses its turbo-diesel engine for 2024, but some models have picked up new features.
Prices are also up across the now petrol-only range by between $370 and $620.
Customer deliveries of the updated range will begin in January 2024.
Mazda says both this year and last, the now-defunct 2.2-litre twin-turbo-diesel accounted for less than four per cent of CX-5 sales. It was available only in flagship Akera and mid-range Touring Active trims, the latter of which has been dropped after just under two years on sale.
The twin-turbo four-cylinder diesel lives on in the related three-row CX-8, which is unchanged for 2024.
The entry-level G20 Maxx gains wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto, and the screen now has touch functionality while you are using these smartphone mirroring apps.
The G25 Touring gets new 19-inch black machined alloy wheels, while it now exclusively features Maztex upholstery on its seats instead of a Maztex/suede combo.
All GT SP and Akera models receive a hands-free power tailgate and a new grille exclusive to these trim levels.
The flagship Akera keeps its Dark Russet Nappa leather upholstery, but loses its wood inlays in favour of unspecified “attractive new inlays”.
Finally, Platinum Quartz replaces Sonic Silver in the CX-5 colour palette.
The CX-5 isn’t the only Mazda that has received a pared-down range of late.
The death of the diesel CX-5 leaves an ever-shrinking array of diesel options in the mid-sized SUV segment.
The Mitsubishi Outlander and Nissan X-Trail lost their diesels with their most recent redesign, while the lower-volume Peugeot 3008 and SsangYong Korando have also recently lost their oil-burner options.
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G20 Maxx: $36,560 (+$450)
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G25 Maxx Sport: $40,280 (+$370)
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G25 Maxx Sport AWD: $42,780 (+$370)
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G25 Touring AWD: $44,920 (+$620)
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G25 GT SP AWD: $50,280 (+$370)
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G25 Akera AWD: $52,470 (+$370)
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G35 GT SP AWD: $52,780 (+$370)
- 2024 Mazda CX-5 G35 Akera AWD: $54,970 (+$370)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Power in the 2024 Mazda CX-5 comes from a range of carryover engines.
The base CX-5 G20 Maxx is powered by a 2.0-litre Skyactiv-G naturally aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine producing 115kW of power and 200Nm of torque.
The other available engines are a 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G naturally aspirated four-cylinder petrol with outputs of 140kW and 252Nm, and a 2.5-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol with 170kW and 420Nm.
All models are now mated with a six-speed automatic transmission exclusively. The 2.0-litre engine is only available with front-wheel drive, the 2.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol is available with front- or all-wheel drive, and the 2.5-litre turbocharged petrol models are all-wheel drive only.
Combined cycle fuel economy in the 2024 Mazda CX-5 with the 2.0-litre petrol engine is 6.9 litres per 100km, while the 2.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol uses 7.2 litres per 100km in front-wheel drive guise and 7.4 litres per 100km with all-wheel drive.
Opting for the 2.5-litre turbo petrol ups fuel use to 8.2 litres per 100km.
All CX-5 models are fitted with idle stop/start technology and run on 91 RON regular unleaded fuel.
The 2024 Mazda CX-5 measures 4575mm long, 1845mm wide, and 1675mm tall, with a 2700mm wheelbase.
Boot space is a claimed 438 litres with the rear seats in place, and 1340 litres with the 40/20/40 folding rear bench sitting flat.
Maximum towing capacity is rated between 1800kg and 2000kg, depending on engine variant.
Mazda backs its range with a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty and five years of roadside assist.
The company recently increased its servicing intervals to 12 months or 15,000km (up from 10,000km), and offers seven years or 105,000km of capped-price servicing.
Current service pricing is as follows:
- G20: $334, $509, $396, $509, $334, $570, $334
- G25: $341, $515, $402, $515, $341, $576, $341
- G35: $354, $528, $439, $830, $354, $613, $354
The Mazda CX-5 wears a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on testing carried out in 2017.
It scored 95 per cent for adult occupant protection, 80 per cent for child occupant protection, 78 per cent for pedestrian protection, and 59 per cent for safety assist.
The 2024 Mazda CX-5 comes standard with the following safety features:
- Dual frontal, side chest and curtain airbags
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Pedestrian detection
- Rear AEB
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Driver attention alert
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Reverse camera
- Rear parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitoring
Maxx Sport and up get traffic sign recognition, Touring and up get front parking sensors, and the GT SP and Akira get Mazda’s Cruising and Traffic Support system.
The 2023 Mazda CX-5 Maxx comes standard with the following standard features:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic LED headlights
- Automatic high-beam
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Body-coloured side mirrors with power folding
- 7.0-inch TFT CLD digital instrument cluster
- 10.25-inch infotainment system (Mazda Connect)
- DAB+ digital radio
- Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (NEW)
- Six-speaker sound system
- Head-up display
- Two front USB-C ports
- Push-button start
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Leather-wrapped gear shifter
- Electric parking brake with auto-hold
- Keyless window open function
- Black cloth upholstery
- Rear seat reclining function
The Maxx Sport adds:
- LED tail lights
- Satellite navigation
- Dual-zone climate control
- Rear air vents
- Paddle shifters
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Rear centre armrest
- Two rear USB-A ports
The Touring adds:
- Power-folding, heated exterior mirrors
- Wireless phone charger
- Keyless entry
- Black Maztex upholstery (NEW)
- 19-inch alloy wheels (NEW)
The GT SP adds:
- LED daytime running lights
- Unique grille
- Adaptive Front-Lighting System
- Single-pane sunroof
- Hands-free power tailgate
- 10-speaker Bose premium sound system
- Cruising and Traffic Support
- Black leather upholstery with red stitching
- Heated front seats
- 10-way power driver’s seat with two-position memory
- Six-way power passenger seat
The flagship Akera adds:
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Surround-view camera
- Heated steering wheel
- Interior ambient lighting
- Dark Russet Nappa leather upholstery
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated outboard rear seats
The 2024 Mazda CX-5 is available in the following exterior paint colours:
- Soul Red Crystal metallic
- Eternal Blue mica
- Deep Crystal Blue mica
- Jet Black mica
- Rhodium White metallic
- Sonic Silver metallic
- Zircon Sand metallic
- Machine Grey metallic
- Polymetal Grey metallic
- Platinum Quartz metallic
Metallic finishes cost an extra $795.
MORE: Everything Mazda CX-5