The new Volkswagen Amarok has been priced for Australia.
UPDATE, 29/06/2023 – Our review of the entry-level Volkswagen Amarok Core TDI405 has recently gone live. We’ve updated and pulled forward this story with all the latest details.
With a starting price of $52,990 before on-roads, following the axing of the manual Core, the new Amarok promises to be a much safer, higher-tech proposition than its venerable predecessor.
Three engines are offered: a 2.0-litre single turbo-diesel four-cylinder, 2.0-litre bi-turbo four-cylinder diesel, a 3.0-litre turbo-diesel V6, and a 2.3-litre turbocharged petrol engine.
Volkswagen currently offers five trim levels: Core, Life, Style, PanAmerica, and Aventura.
- 2023 Volkswagen Amarok Core TDI405 4Motion six-speed auto: $52,990
- 2023 Volkswagen Amarok Life TDI500 4Motion 10-speed auto: $56,990
- 2023 Volkswagen Amarok Style TDI500 4Motion 10-speed auto: $66,990
- 2023 Volkswagen Amarok Style TDI600 4Motion 10-speed auto: $70,990
- 2023 Volkswagen Amarok Panamericana TDI600 10-speed auto: $75,990
- 2023 Volkswagen Amarok Aventura TDI600 4Motion 10-speed auto: $79,990
- 2023 Volkswagen Amarok Aventura TSI452 4Motion 10-speed auto: $79,990
The entry-level TDI405 engine in the Amarok is a 2.0-litre single-turbo four-cylinder diesel making 125kW of power and 405Nm of torque. It’s sent to the road through a six-speed manual or automatic transmission, along with a 4Motion four-wheel drive system with selectable 2H, 4H, and 4L modes.
The TDI500 has a bi-turbo 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel making 154kW of power and 500Nm of torque, mated with a 10-speed automatic transmission and selectable four-wheel drive.
The TDI600 packs a 3.0-litre turbocharged V6 diesel making 184kW of power and 600Nm of torque, mated with a 10-speed automatic and full-time four-wheel drive.
The only petrol options is the TSI452, which is a turbocharged 2.3-litre petrol engine making 222kW of power and 452Nm of torque. It’s mated with a 10-speed automatic and full-time four-wheel drive.
|Core 2.0T||Single Turbo 2.0L four-cylinder||125kW and 405Nm||Diesel||8L/100km|
|Life 2.0TT||Bi-Turbo 2.0L four-cylinder||154kW and 500Nm||Diesel||7.2L/100km|
|Style 2.0TT||Bi-Turbo 2.0L four-cylinder||154kW and 500Nm||Diesel||7.2L/100km|
|Style 3.0D||Single Turbo 3.0L V6||184kW and 600Nm||Diesel||8.4L/100km|
|PanAmericana 3.0D||Single Turbo 3.0L V6||184kW and 600Nm||Diesel||8.4L/100km|
|Aventura 3.0D||Single Turbo 3.0L V6||184kW and 600Nm||Diesel||8.4L/100km|
|Aventura 2.3T||Single Turbo 2.3L four-cylinder||222kW and 453Nm||Petrol||9.9L/100km|
All models will have an 80L fuel tank.
The new Amarok measures 5350mm long, up 96mm on the previous model. It has a 3270mm wheelbase, and is 1910mm wide and and 1888mm tall.
Braked towing capacity is up to 3500kg and there’s a 6500kg gross combined mass. Payload is up to 1024kg depending on model.
Fording depth has increased from 500 to 800mm and thanks to the now-shorter overhangs, the front angle of approach figure is now 29 degrees, the departure angle is 21 degrees, and the ramp angle is 21 degrees.
The Amarok is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty like the wider Volkswagen range.
Logbook servicing is required every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first.
The first five services are priced at $329, $329, $414, $329, and $400, respectively – totalling $1801. Volkswagen Australia also offers a five-year Care Plan which costs $1800.
The Volkswagen Amarok was awarded a five-star ANCAP safety rating against the 2020-2022 testing protocols.
This result was drawn from testing of the closely related Ford Ranger, with additional frontal offset and side impact tests conducted on the Amarok by Euro NCAP, which has harmonised testing protocols with ANCAP.
The Amarok scored 86 per cent for adult occupant protection, 93 per cent for child occupant protection, 74 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 83 per cent for safety assist.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- 9 airbags
- AEB incl. Pedestrian, Cyclist detection
- Lane-keep assist
- Swerve Steer assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- Intelligent Speed Limiter
- Speed sign recognition
- Reversing camera
- Front, rear parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitoring
Amarok Life adds:
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go
Amarok Style adds:
- Surround-view cameras
- Park assist
Standard equipment on the Amarok Core includes:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Front disc, rear drum brakes
- Locking rear differential
- Electric folding side mirrors
- Side steps
- Mud flaps
- 2 x front tow hooks
- Steel underbody protection
- Plastic fuel tank protection
- Tow bar
- 12-pin trailer plug
- Black side mirrors, door handles
- Manually locking tailgate
- 6 x tie-down points in tub
- Exterior tie-down rails
- Cargo box LED lighting
- Automatic LED headlights
- Rain-sensing window wipers
- Automatic high-beam
- Halogen tail lights
- 8.0-inch digital instrument cluster
- 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Four-speaker sound system
- Apple CarPlay, Android Auto (wired, wireless)
- DAB+ digital radio
- Wireless charger
- Single-zone air-conditioning
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Plastic steering wheel
- Vinyl flooring
- Grey headliner
- Fabric upholstery
- 6-way manual driver seat
- 4-way manual front passenger seat
Moving to the Amarok Life brings:
- Rear disc brakes
- LED front fog lights
- Body colour side mirrors and door handles
- Heated, power-folding side mirrors with puddle lamps
- Locking wheel nuts
- Tailgate lift assist
- Power tailgate lock
- Privacy glass
- Six-speaker sound system
- Electric park brake
- Leather steering wheel
- Carpet flooring
- Eight-way manual front seats
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
Moving to the Amarok Style adds:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Chrome side mirrors and door handles
- Plastic tub liner
- Stainless steel sports bar
- 12V socket in tub
- LED matrix headlights
- LED tail lights
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- 12.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Dual-zone climate control
- Rear air vents
- Insulated windshield
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Alarm system
- Leather-look dashboard and door inserts
- ArtVelour microfibre upholstery
- Heated front seats
- 10-way electric driver’s seat
- Surround-view camera
- Park Assist
The Amarok PanAmericana adds:
- 18-inch black alloy wheels
- All-terrain tyres
- Dynamic suspension
- Black side mirrors and door handles
- Panamericana decal
- Black sports bar and steps
- Soft tonneau cover
- Roof rails
- Spray-in tub liner
- Eight-speaker Harman Kardon sound system
- Black headliner
- Leather upholstery
- Powered passenger seat
The Amarok Aventura brings:
- Chrome bumpers, mirror, handles
- Rear sailplane
- Electric roller cover
- Leather seats (Savona)
- Clear White
- Bright Beige metallic
- Deep Red metallic
- Midnight Black metallic
- Bright Blue metallic
- Light Grey metallic
- Dark Grey metallic
- Mid Blue metallic
Clear White is standard, with the others costing an additional $990.