Volkswagen has detailed the price and specifications of its longer-wheelbase, seven-seat Tiguan Allspace in mid-life updated form.
Compared to the Tiguan five-seater which has already been facelifted and launched, the seven-seat Allspace is built at a different factory, and runs on a different product cycle.
Volkswagen has indicated the updated Tiguan Allspace is slated to go on sale in May 2022.
The Tiguan Allspace range is very similar to the five-seater Tiguan range, kicking off with the 110TSI Life petrol, followed by the 132TSI and 162TSI petrol options. The range is capped off with the diesel 147TDI R-Line. There’ll be no seven-seat Tiguan Allspace R.
Pricing starts at $44,590 before on-road costs for the 110TSI Life and extends to $61,690 before on-road costs for the 147TDI R-Line.
Historically, the Tiguan Allspace has been roughly $2000 more expensive than the five-seater Tiguan, but this updated Tiguan Allspace costs between $3100 and $4200 more.
A revised exterior design with new front and rear bumpers, updated LED lighting at both ends including available matrix LED headlights, revised alloy wheels, and ‘Tiguan’ lettering on the tailgate all feature.
Inside, the 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace gets a new steering wheel with a Digital Cockpit Pro digital instrument cluster, as well as wired and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, DAB+ digital radio, a standard wireless phone charger, and a torch in the boot.
The Tiguan Allspace competes in the medium SUV segment, but only a few offer seven seats including the Mitsubishi Outlander, Honda CR-V, and Nissan X-Trail. However, it’s also cross-shopped against the Mazda CX-8, Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento.
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 110TSI Life: $44,590
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 132TSI Life: $48,590
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 162TSI Elegance: $56,990
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 147TDI Elegance: $58,490
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 162TSI R-Line: $60,190
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 147TDI R-Line: $61,690
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Powering the 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 110TSI Life is a 1.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine producing 110kW of power and 250Nm of torque. This is mated to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission and sends power to the front wheels only.
The 132 Life is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine producing 132kW and 320Nm.
162TSI variants are powered by a higher-output 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine producing 162kW and 350Nm.
147TDI variants are powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine with 147kW and 400Nm.
All 132TSI, 162TSI and 147TDI variants are mated to a wet dual-clutch transmission and Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel drive system.
Volkswagen hasn’t revealed official fuel economy figures yet for the Tiguan Allspace.
It’s expected to be slightly higher than the five-seat Tiguan. All petrol variants require a minimum of 95 RON premium unleaded petrol.
The 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace measures in at 4701mm long, 1839mm wide and 1665mm tall, with a 2790mm wheelbase. This means it’s 220mm longer than its five-seat sibling, and 109mm longer between the wheels.
Boot space with all the seats up is 230L, and with the two third-row seats folded is 700L. With the third and second row of seating folded there’s 1775L of boot space.
The 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Servicing is required every 12 months or 15,000km. Just like the Tiguan five-seater, Volkswagen offers two prepaid servicing options for the Tiguan Allspace: being three- and five-year plans.
The three-year plan costs $1500 regardless of the engine, and the five-year plan costs $2200 for the 110TSI, $2580 for 132TSI and 147TDI models, and $2700 for 162TSI models.
The 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace wears a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on testing carried out in 2016.
The Tiguan scored 96 per cent for adult occupant protection, 80 per cent for child occupant protection, 68 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 68 per cent for safety assist.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Lane-keeping assist
- Adaptive lane guidance
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Semi-autonomous parking assit
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Driver fatigue monitoring
The 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace Life variants come with the following standard features:
- 18-inch Kingston alloy wheels
- Space saver spare wheel
- 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with voice and gesture control
- Wired and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- DAB+ digital radio
- Satellite navigation
- 10.25-inch Digital Cockpit Pro
- Wireless phone charger
- Three-zone climate control with front and rear touch controls
- Automatic LED headlights
- Rain-sensing window wipers
- LED tail lights
- Electric folding and heated mirrors
- Power tailgate
- Torch in the boot
The Tiguan Allspace Elegance variants add the following:
- 19-inch Auckland alloy wheels
- 9.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with voice and gesture control
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Heated two outer second row seats
- Adaptive chassis control
- ID Light matrix LED headlights with dynamic indicators
- Privacy glass
- 30 colour ambient interior lighting
- Chrome and silver styling elements
The Tiguan Allspace R-Line variants add the following:
- 20-inch Misano alloy wheels
- Progressive steering
- Premium LED tail lights with dynamic indicators
- R-Line Vienna leather upholstery
- R-Line steering wheel with haptic steering wheel buttons
- R-Line front and rear bumpers
- R-Line side sills
- R-Line rear spoiler
- R-Line badges on front grille and side spears
- Stainless steel pedals
- Black headliner
The $5500 Luxury Package available on the Tiguan Allspace Life adds the following:
- Vienna leather upholstery
- Electrically adjustable driver seat with memory
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Panoramic electric opening glass sunroof.
The $2600 Sound and Vision Package available on the Tiguan Allspace Elegance and R-Line adds the following:
- Head-up display
- Surround-view camera
- Harman Kardon premium sound system
A panoramic glass sunroof is an option on the Elegance and R-Line ($2100).
Volkswagen hasn’t detailed the full range of exterior paint colours as of yet, but the following cost an additional $900.
- Pyrite Silver metallic
- Platinum Grey metallic
- Atlantic Blue metallic
- Deep Black pearl effect
King’s Red premium metallic paint also costs $1100.