Details of the 2022 Toyota RAV4 line-up have been confirmed ahead of first deliveries during the first quarter of 2022, with the top-selling range to gain more variants and the wider availability of hybrid technology.
Hybrid power will now be offered on all RAV4 trim levels, with the top-spec Edge AWD finally getting a petrol-electric option, while a new XSE mid-tier grade will offer both 2WD and AWD hybrid drivetrains.
As reported a couple of months ago, the existing GX, GXL, Cruiser and Edge models also get a range of equipment and aesthetic enhancements for 2022. The base GX manual has been dropped due to “low customer demand”.
Prices are slightly down for GX grades while GXL, Cruiser and Edge variants are all slightly dearer for 2022.
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 GX 2WD: $34,300 (-$395)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 GX 2WD Hybrid: $36,800 (-$270)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 GX AWD Hybrid: $39,800 (-$270)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 GXL 2WD: $37,825 (+$410)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 GXL 2WD Hybrid: $40,325 (+$410)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 GXL AWD Hybrid: $43,325 (+$410)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 XSE 2WD Hybrid: $42,825 (NEW)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 XSE AWD Hybrid: $45,825 (NEW)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 Cruiser 2WD: $42,500 (+$1585)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 Cruiser 2WD Hybrid: $45,000 (+$1585)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 Cruiser AWD Hybrid: $48,000 (+$1585)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 Edge AWD: $49,820 (+$905)
- 2022 Toyota RAV4 Edge AWD Hybrid: $52,320 (NEW)
All prices exclude on-road costs
Petrol 2WD versions of the RAV4 are powered by a 2.0-litre naturally-aspirated petrol engine developing 127kW of power at 6600rpm and 203Nm of torque between 4400-4900rpm, driving the front wheels via a standard CVT automatic.
The outgoing model’s six-speed manual option for lower grades has been dropped for 2022, however, all petrol models pick up idle stop/start for the new model year to enhance fuel efficiency.
RAV4 2WD Hybrid models pair a 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated petrol engine with an electric motor and battery pack, good for a system output of 160kW.
Opting for an AWD Hybrid adds an extra e-motor on the rear axle boosting maximum power to 163kW, and also adds a Trail mode which alters throttle, wheel braking and torque distribution to enhance traction on low-grip surfaces.
Finally, the Edge AWD petrol is the sole variant that offers the larger 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine teamed with an eight-speed auto and standard all-wheel drive, developing 152kW (6600rpm) and 243Nm (4000-5000rpm).
Toyota Australia hasn’t confirmed updated fuel consumption figures for the MY22 RAV4 range, though we can use the outgoing line-up as a guide:
- RAV4 2WD 2.0 CVT: 6.5L/100km
- RAV4 AWD 2.5 8AT: 7.5L/100km
- RAV4 2WD Hybrid CVT: 4.7/100km
- RAV4 AWD Hybrid CVT: 4.8L/100km
We’ll likely see a slight improvement to the official figures quoted by petrol-only models given the introduction of idle stop/start technology.
Toyota Australia hasn’t noted any changes to dimensions. The MY21 RAV4 measures 4615mm long, 1690mm tall and 1865mm wide, with a 2690mm wheelbase.
The kerb weight of the 2.0-litre petrol RAV4 ranges from 1515kg for the base manual to 1620kg for the Cruiser CVT.
The 2.5-litre model tips the scales at 1705kg, while the base front-wheel drive hybrid is 1650kg and the base AWD hybrid is 1705kg. The heaviest model is the Cruiser AWD Hybrid at 1745kg.
The Toyota RAV4’s boot space measures 580L with the rear seats up and with a space-saver spare. A full-size spare is optional only in GX models.
Towing capacity varies. Braked towing capacity is 480kg in 2WD hybrid models, 800kg in 2.0-litre models, and 1500kg in AWD hybrid and 2.5-litre models.
Unbraked towing capacity is 750kg in all bar the 2WD hybrid models, where it’s 480kg.
The 2022 Toyota RAV4 is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Stick to your annual service schedule and the company extends the engine and driveline warranty to seven years, while hybrid batteries are covered for up to 10 years provided logbook maintenance is conducted during that period.
Toyota Australia also offers up to five years (60 months) or 75,000km of capped-price servicing, with intervals of 12 months/15,000km for the RAV4.
All RAV4 engine variants cost $230 per service for the first five visits under the capped-price servicing program.
The Toyota RAV4 wears a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on tests conducted in 2019.
It scored of 93 per cent for adult occupant protection, 89 per cent for child occupant protection, 85 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 83 per cent for safety assist.
The following safety features are standard across the range:
- AEB with pedestrian/daytime cyclist detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Reversing camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Lane departure warning
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- Traffic sign recognition
- Front, front-side and curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Trailer sway control
For 2022 the RAV4 Edge gains rear cross-traffic assist, as well as low-speed AEB in forward and reverse for static objects when parking.
RAV4 GX highlights:
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Satellite navigation
- 4.2-inch multi-information display
- DAB digital radio
- 17-inch alloy wheels (NEW design)
- Heated, power-folding exterior mirrors
- 60/40 split-fold rear seats and centre armrest
- Dual-zone climate control (hybrid only)
- LED headlights (parabolic, auto-levelling in petrol; projector in hybrid)
- Automatic high-beam
- Automatic headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Five USB ports
- Leatherette-wrapped steering wheel
- Front/rear carpet mats
- Space saver spare tyre
- Rear mudflaps
- Electronic parking brake
- DAB+ radio (NEW)
- Rear seat belt reminders (NEW)
- LED interior lighting (NEW)
RAV4 GXL adds:
- 18-inch alloy wheels (NEW design)
- ‘Premium’ grille and bumper combo
- Privacy glass
- Leatherette-wrapped shifter
- Self-dimming rear-view mirror
- Dual-zone climate control
- Keyless entry and start
- Wireless phone charging
- Reversing camera with active guide lines
- Front mudflaps
- Roof rails
- Illuminated interior door switches (NEW)
RAV4 XSE adds:
- Hybrid only (2WD + AWD available)
- Black exterior accents
- Black two-tone roof finish
- 18-inch alloy wheels in gloss black
- Black headliner and pillar garnish
- Leather-accented door trims
- Ambient lighting (model specific)
- Softex ‘premium’ seat upholstery
- Heated front seats
- 10-way power adjustment with lumbar support (driver)
- 7.0-inch driver supervision display
- Electric tailgate
RAV4 Cruiser adds:
- 19-inch alloy wheels (Cruiser 2WD)
- 18-inch alloy wheels in gloss black (Hybrid, NEW design)
- Auto power-folding mirrors
- Power sunroof
- Power tailgate
- 10-way power driver’s seat
- Ambient lighting
- Nine-speaker JBL sound system
- Surround-view camera
- Heated front seats
- Leather upholstery
- Digital rear-view mirror (NEW)
- Heated/ventilated front seats (NEW)
- 8-Way power adjustment (front passenger)
RAV4 Edge adds:
- Model-specific exterior styling
- Off-road mode selector dial
- Hill-descent control
- Softex ‘premium’ upholstery
- Rear cross-traffic assist (NEW)
- Parking support brake (NEW)
All RAV4 Hybrid variants also score a new projector-type LED headlight design which “features three clear segments housing the high/low beams, the turning lights, and the combined daytime running, parking and clearance lights”.
- Premium paint: $675
- Satellite navigation (GX Hybrid): $1000
- Satellite navigation + full-size spare (GX Hybrid): $1300
- Panoramic sunroof (Edge AWD petrol): $1300
MORE: Everything Toyota RAV4