Peugeot’s rival to the Toyota HiAce and Hyundai Staria Load has been given an update for 2022.
With two engine options and two body style, it builds on the foundation laid by the Expert when it arrived in 2019. The updated model will be on Australian shores in the first quarter of 2022.
Unlike its rivals, however, Peugeot hasn’t moved to make a full range of active safety features standard range-wide.
The mid-range Expert Pro packs equipment such as autonomous emergency braking and blind-spot monitoring, but you’re left to go it alone in the base model.
In keeping with the reshuffle applied to the smaller Partner and larger Boxer vans, the range will open with the bare-bones City trim level, move through the Pro trim, and top out with the more car-like Premium option.
There’s also a limited-edition Sport model designed to serve as “a perfect and practical alternative to a dual-cab utility vehicle”.
The reshuffled range is part of Peugeot’s move to a broader model line-up for commercial vehicles, designed to look after a broader range of customers than its previous one-size-fits-all approach.
- 2022 Peugeot Expert City Short manual: $38,990
- 2022 Peugeot Expert Pro Long manual: $41,990
- 2022 Peugeot Expert Pro Short auto: $42,990
- 2022 Peugeot Expert Pro Long auto: $44,990
- 2022 Peugeot Expert Premium Short auto: $46,180
- 2022 Peugeot Expert Premium Long auto: $48,180
- 2022 Peugeot Expert Sport Short auto: $49,990
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Two engines are offered in the 2022 Peugeot Expert range.
All models except the Sport limited-edition are powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine with 110kW of power and 370Nm of torque.
It’s available with a six-speed manual or an eight-speed torque converter automatic.
The Sport is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine, but with outputs upped to 130kW and 400Nm.
It’s mated only with an eight-speed automatic.
Manual versions of the 2022 Peugeot Expert use a claimed 6.0L/100km on the combined cycle, opting for the eight-speed automatic ups that to 6.3L/100km.
The 2022 Peugeot Expert Short measures 4959mm long, 2204mm wide, and up to 1935mm tall.
Opting for the Long ups the body length to 5309mm. The wheelbase remains a constant 3725mm across the range, and the turning circle is 12.4m regardless of spec.
The load bay measures 1258mm wide between the arches, and the space is between 2512mm and 2862mm long.
Some models can accomodate up to 4024mm-long items on the passenger side using the Moduwork system.
There’s 5.3 cubic metres of load space in Short models, Long models up that to 6.1 cubic metres.
The Peugeot Expert hasn’t been rated by ANCAP or Euro NCAP.
The base Expert City doesn’t have much in the way of active safety technology, although all models have four airbags.
Standard safety equipment in the Expert Pro and above includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Forward-collision warning
- Blind-spot monitoring
The Peugeot Expert is backed by the same five-year, 200,000km warranty as the rest of the Peugeot Commercial range.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 20,000km, and the first five services in 110kW models will cost you a total of $3049, while the 130kW model will set you back $3864.
Standard kit in the base Expert City includes:
- 1.4-tonne payload
- Glazed cargo bay dividing bulkhead
- 16-inch steel wheels
- Dual sliding side doors
- Glazed 180-degree swinging rear barn doors with windscreen wipers and de-mister
- Reversing camera
- 5.3 cubic metre cargo bay with glazed dividing bulkhead
- Three front seats
Moving to the Expert Pro brings you:
- Choice between Short and Long body styles
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Rear parking sensors
- Automatic headlights and wipers
The Pro Premium packs:
- Moduwork mobile office pack
- Flip-down work table
- Under-seat storage
- Load-through hatch on passenger side
- Body-coloured exterior trim
- LED daytime running lights and front fog lights
- 17-inch silver alloy wheels
Finally, the range-topping Sport LE gets:
- 2.5-tonne braked towing capacity
- Unique ‘Sport’ decals
- 17-inch diameter black alloy wheels
- Xenon headlamps
- Head-up display
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Keyless entry and start
- Climate control air-conditioning