The Kia EV6 is now on sale in Australia, with two trim levels and two drivetrain options available across a total of three model variants.
UPDATE, 11/07/2022 – Kia Australia has bumped up the asking price of the EV6 by $4600.
“An increase in costs globally and locally, such as raw materials, production and logistical costs, has resulted in an adjustment to the local recommended retail price of the EV6 range,” said a Kia Australia spokesperson in a statement.
“Our objective at Kia Australia is to ensure the pricing is still acceptable to the market place and most importantly the consumer.”
In addition to this price rise, Kia Australia has confirmed it will not offer price protection to current EV6 order holders who ordered before the price rise.
Kia’s local division has adopted the EV6’s global naming strategy for the Australian line-up, encompassing ‘Air’ and ‘GT-Line’ trim levels. The all-out 430kW EV6 GT will bolster the range either late in 2022 or early in 2023.
Pricing starts at $72,590 before on-roads for the entry-level EV6 Air RWD, pricing it out of contention for various State electric vehicle subsidies.
Single-motor RWD is standard on Air and GT-Line models, with the latter also available with a more powerful dual-motor AWD electric drivetrain. All versions in Australia come as standard with a long-range 77.4kWh battery, good for up to 528km of range (EV6 Air).
Kia Australia has already gone on record confirming around 500 units will be available to the Australian market in 2022, staggered throughout the course of the year.
Unlike sister brand Hyundai, the EV6 will be available to purchase via the brand’s national dealer network rather than a direct online sales model.
- 2022 Kia EV6 Air RWD: $72,590 (+$4600)
- 2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD: $79,590 (+$4600)
- 2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD: $87,590 (+$4600)
All prices exclude on-road costs
Kia EV6 RWD models are powered by a 168kW/350Nm electric motor mounted on the rear axle.
The GT-Line AWD, meanwhile, features a second motor on the front axle making for system outputs of 239kW and 605Nm.
Kia claims the EV6 RWD will accelerate from 0-100km/h in 7.3 seconds, while the dual-motor AWD version drops that significantly to 5.2 seconds.
All versions of the Kia EV6 in Australia are fitted with a long-range 77.4kWh high-voltage lithium battery pack. There’s a smaller 58kWh battery available in select overseas markets, but that’s not on the cards here for the time being.
The EV6 Air has the longest range claim (up to 528km) thanks to its lighter single-motor powertrain and smaller 19-inch wheels, while the GT-Line RWD quotes 504 kilometres on its 20-inch wheel package. Finally, the EV6 GT-Line AWD quotes a respectable 484km.
As for charging, the Kia EV6’s 800V charging architecture means it supports up to 350kW DC fast charging – at this rate it takes as little as 18 minutes to go from 10 to 80 per cent.
The EV6 measures 4680mm long (4695mm GT-Line), 1880mm wide (1890mm GT-Line) and 1550mm tall, with a 2900mm wheelbase.
Further, both RWD and AWD models will offer a maximum 1600kg braked towing capacity.
The EV6 will be covered by Kia Australia’s seven-year/unlimited-kilometre new vehicle warranty, with high-voltage components such as the battery, e-motors and on-board charger warrantied for seven years or 150,000 kilometres.
The Kia EV6 earned a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on testing conducted by Euro NCAP.
It scored 90 per cent for adult occupant protection, 87 per cent for child occupant protection, 64 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 88 per cent for safety assist.
The Kia EV6 comes standard with the following:
- AEB with pedestrian/cyclist/junction assist
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane Following Assist (active centring)
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Front-centre airbag
- Intelligent speed limit assist
- Multi Collision Braking
- Front/rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Tyre pressure monitoring
EV6 GT-Line models add:
- Blind Spot View Monitor
- 3D surround-view cameras
- Power child lock
EV6 Air highlights:
- 77.4kWh long-range battery
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- LED headlights (reflector-type)
- LED daytime running lights
- LED tail lights
- Acoustic windscreen
- Solar glass (windscreen and doors)
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Flush door handles
- Power-folding mirrors
- Dial-type shifter
- Paddle shifter for regen braking
- Leatherette steering wheel trim
- Cloth/leatherette upholstery
- Power driver lumbar adjustment
- Remote-folding second-row seats
- LED interior lighting
- V2L interior power outlet
- Auto power windows (front)
- Dual curved 12.3-inch displays (infotainment + cluster)
- Satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (wired)
- Wireless phone charger
- USB chargers in front seatbacks
- 12V outlet in luggage area
- Smart key with push-button start
- Dual-zone climate control
- Electro-chromatic rear-view mirror
EV6 GT-Line adds:
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Acoustic front window glass
- Rear privacy glass
- Auto-folding flush door handles
- GT-Line exterior styling
- V2L exterior
- ‘Wide’ sunroof (GT-Line AWD only)
- Leatherette/suede seat upholstery
- Stainless steel luggage area sill plate
- 64-colour ambient interior lighting
- Active Sound Design (engine sound modes)
- Augmented reality head-up display
- 14-speaker Meridian audio
- Power driver seat with 2-position memory
- Premium Relaxation Seats (front)
- Heated/ventilated front seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Remote Smart Park Assist
- Power tailgate
- Blind Spot View Monitor
- 3D surround-view camera system
- Snow White Pearl*
- Aurora Black Pearl*
- Runway Red
- Yacht Blue*
- Steel Grey* (EV6 Air only)
- Glacier* (EV6 Air only)
- Moonscape** (EV6 GT-Line only)
*Premium paint costs an additional $520
**Matte finish incurs an additional premium
MORE: Everything Kia EV6