Australia’s favourite 4×4 ute is being treated to a running technology update.
Ford Australia has announced details of the enhanced high-end variants in the 2020 Ranger ute line-up, which arrive in showrooms through the end of August.
After last week’s announcement of new versions at the lower end of the Ranger 4×4 family tree, Ford has confirmed the return of the Wildtrak X in updated 2020 guise, as well as technology upgrades for the Wildtrak and Raptor flagship models.
The Ford Ranger Wildtrak X is back for 2020, after a successful run at the end of the pre-update 2019 model life cylce.
Like its forebear, the Wildtrak X builds on the popular Wildtrak by offering a range of rugged enhancements benefitting both the already handsome looks and all-round capability.
Key changes from the 2019 model include new bi-LED projector headlights, which are claimed to offer 17 per cent better lighting penetration compared to the old car’s halogen units. With high beam, the new LED lights claim a 20 per cent improvement.
The Wildtrak X also picks up a power roller shutter as standard, activated via key gob, dash-mounted switch or by a button within the Ranger’s tub.
Rounding out the upgrades from the wider Ranger line-up is the standard inclusion of the FordPass Connect on-board modem, which brings a range of segment-first functions like remote start, remote unlock, vehicle locator and vehicle health check.
Distinguishing the Wildtrak X from standard Wildtrak models are unique 18-inch alloys in matte black with a +35mm offset, black fender flares, black nudge bar with LED light bar, and an A-pillar-mounted snorkel allowing the Wildtrak X to ‘breathe’ better on dusty roads and when wading through water – though the 800mm maximum wade depth remains the same.
The Wildtrak X costs $2000 over the standard Wildtrak, which is priced from $62,090 plus on-road costs for the Double Pickup 3.2-litre manual.
Beyond the return of the Wildtrak X, the Ranger Wildtrak and Ranger Raptor are back for the 2020 model year with FordPass Connect as standard.
Owners can access the FordPass Connect functions through the FordPass smartphone app, available now in the Apple and Google app stores.
Pricing starts from $62,090 for the five-cylinder Ranger Wildtrak manual, with the Ranger Raptor available from $77,190 – both excluding on-road costs.
The addition of FordPass Connect builds on the range-wide standardisation of autonomous emergency braking (AEB) with pedestrian detection in 2019. It’s worth noting when the Raptor first launched in 2018, AEB was not available.
“I know that for many of our customers with a spirit of adventure, it’s heartening right now that their Ranger Raptor or Ranger Wildtrak is at the ready, so they can take full advantage of it once the current situation eases,” said Andrew Birkic, President and CEO for Ford Australia and New Zealand.
“What’s more, we will be adding to what we offer in 2020 – not only with the updates to Ranger we’ve made this month, including FordPass Connect on every model, but with more lifestyle choices to take on that off-road adventure, to stand apart with the capability and assurance Ranger is known for.”
- XL Single Cab Chassis Low Rider 2.2 MT: $29,190
- XL Single Cab Chassis Hi-Rider 2.2 AT: $34,890
- XL Super Cab Chassis Hi-Rider 2.2 AT: $37,890
- XL Double Cab Chassis Hi-Rider 2.2 AT: $39,390
- XL Double Pickup Hi-Rider 2.2 AT: $40,790
- XLT Double Pickup Hi-Rider 3.2 AT: $51,540
- XLT Double Pickup Hi-Rider 2.0 Bi-Turbo AT: $53,040
- XL Single Cab Chassis 3.2 MT: $43,090
- XL Single Cab Chassis 3.2 AT: $45,290
- XL Super Cab Chassis 3.2 MT: $45,590
- XL Super Cab Chassis 3.2 AT: $47,790
- XL Super Pickup 3.2 AT: $49,190
- XL Double Cab Chassis 2.2 AT: $47,290
- XL Double Pickup 2.2 AT: $48,690
- XL Double Cab Chassis 3.2 MT: $47,590
- XL Double Cab Chassis 3.2 AT: $49,790
- XL Double Pickup 3.2 MT: $48,990
- XL Double Pickup 3.2 AT: $51,190
- XLS Double Pickup 3.2 MT: $50,290
- XLS Double Pickup 3.2 AT: $52,490
- Sport Double Pickup 3.2 MT: $53,540
- Sport Double Pickup 3.2 AT: $55,740
- XLT Super Pickup 3.2 AT: $57,440
- XLT Super Pickup 2.0 Bi-Turbo AT: $58,940
- XLT Double Pickup 3.2 MT: $57,240
- XLT Double Pickup 3.2 AT: $59,440
- XLT Double Pickup 2.0 Bi-Turbo AT: $60,490
- Wildtrak Double Pickup 3.2 MT: $62,090
- Wildtrak Double Pickup 3.2 AT: $64,290
- Wildtrak Double Pickup 2.0 Bi-Turbo AT: $65,790
- Raptor Double Pickup 2.0 Bi-Turbo AT: $77,190
All prices exclude on-road costs
- Prestige paint: $650
- Tough Bed Spray-in Bedliner (XL/XLS Double Cab P/U): $800 (NEW)
- Tough Bed Spray-in Bedliner (Sport/XLT Double Cab P/U): $300 (NEW)
- XL Heavy-Duty Suspension: $500
- XL 4×4 17-inch Continental A/T tyres: $500 (NEW)
- XL 4×4 Heavy-Duty Pack (Single C/C): $1600 (NEW)
- XL 4×4 Heavy-Duty Pack (Super Cab/Double C/C): $2000 (NEW)
- XL 4×4 Heavy-Duty Pack (Double Cab P/U): $1600 (NEW)
- XLS Premium Pack: $1500
- XLS 17-inch black alloy wheels: $750 (NEW)
- XLT Tech Pack: $800
- XLT leather-accented seats: $1500
- XLT 18-inch black alloy wheels: $750
- Wildtrak 18-inch black alloy wheels: $500
- Raptor decal pack: $750