It mightn’t be the first thing to think about it when you buy a new ute, but resale values can effectively protect your investment over a longer period of time.
- Predicted values supplied by Glass’s Guide
- Best future value for 4x2 - Mitsubishi Triton
- Best future value for 4x4 - Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series
The market for used vehicles at the moment is terrifying, with people paying well over the odds, and in recent times used car values have been at historically high levels. Those values are now sliding, according to the Moody’s Analytics Used Car Price Index, but utes remain a strong part of the pre-owned vehicle market.
A lot of factors make up whether you will achieve good resale value on your vehicle. Two of the big determining factors include whether or not the vehicle has had its service history fully documented, and if it has any remaining factory warranty.
Just a few other considerations for resale values include:
- Is it in good condition?
- Any paint issues?
- Body or panel damage?
- How much registration remaining?
- Does the interior present well?
- Are there any accessories fitted?
- Has the vehicle been smoked in?
- How much life left in the tyres?
- Any major upcoming servicing costs?
As for getting out the crystal ball and trying to figure out what the ute with the best resale is going to be in the future? That’s a bit more difficult, but we’ve put together a table of data below for used utes and their forecasted projected values.
The data we drew on for this comes from Glass’s Guide, and we’ve gone with predicted values based on three years/50,000km.
The specification levels we’ve selected are popular models in 4x2 and 4x4 derivations where eligible, and we’ve listed the list price (MSRP or drive-away) to give you an idea of the drop in value expected over a period of time. Most are dual-cab versions as that’s where the majority of sales are.
Note: this data is for indicative purposes only. Any data herein is not intended to indicate any guaranteed value and is based on research by a third party.
Resale values after three years or 50,000km
4x2 Workmate dual-cab Hi-Rider 2.4 diesel auto pick-up - $42,795 MSRP
- Resale $24,400 or 56.0% of purchase
4x4 SR5 dual-cab 2.8 diesel auto pick-up - $61,930 MSRP
- Resale $40,400 or 65.0% of purchase
Toyota LandCruiser 70
4x4 GXL single-cab 4.5 diesel manual cab-chassis -$74,650 MSRP
- Resale $66,000 or 88.3% of purchase
4X2 XLS dual-cab Hi-Rider 2.0 diesel auto pick-up - $46,730 MSRP
- Resale $29,300 or 63.0% of purchase
4x4 Wildtrak dual-cab 3.0 diesel auto pick-up $70,190 MSRP
- Resale $45,800 or 65.0% of purchase
4x2 GLX dual-cab 2.4 diesel auto pick-up - $40,440 MSRP
- Resale $28,200 or 70.0% of purchase
4x4 GLS dual-cab 2.4 diesel auto pick-up - $51,490 MSRP
- Resale $37,300 or 72.1% of purchase
4x2 SX dual-cab High-Ride 3.0 diesel auto pick-up - $44,200 MSRP
- Resale $25,000 or 57.0% of purchase
4x4 X-Terrain dual-cab 3.0 diesel auto pick-up
- Resale $50,300 or 75.1% of purchase
4x2 XT dual-cab 3.0 diesel auto pick-up - $47,310 MSRP
- Resale $29,700 or 63.0% of purchase
4x4 GT dual-cab 3.0 diesel auto pick-up - $62,510 MSRP
- Resale $40,700 or 65.0% of purchase
4x2 ST dual-cab 2.3 diesel auto pick-up $47,205 MSRP
- Resale $29,600 or 63.0% of purchase
4x4 ST-X dual-cab 2.3 diesel auto pick-up $60,195 MSRP
- Resale $39,200 or 65.0% of purchase
GWM Cannon Ute
4x2 Cannon dual-cab 2.0 diesel auto pick-up $35,990 drive-away
- Resale $22,000 or 61.0% of purchase
4x4 Cannon-X dual-cab 2.0 diesel auto pick-up - $45,490 drive-away
Resale $28,900 or 63.9% of purchase
4x4 Max Luxe 2.0 diesel auto pick-up - $47,884 drive-away
- Resale $30,400 or 63.9% of purchase
4x4 Ultimate dual-cab 2.2 diesel auto pick-up - $40,400 MSRP
- Resale $23,100 or 56.8% of purchase
4x4 Laramie 5.7 petrol auto pick-up $119,900 MSRP
- Resale $78,200 or 65.0% of purchase
*You have no doubt noticed that the table above does not include Volkswagen Amarok data, as Glass’s Guide did not have research on the new-generation model to forecast future resale values at the time of writing. Once this information has been provided, we will update this story.
As stated, these are just indicative potential values that you might see when it comes to resale for the above mentioned utes.