Home/Car News/Skoda

Skoda reveals Enyaq iV electric SUV, not locked in for Australia

The Volkswagen ID.4's Czech cousin has debuted, offering a choice of rear- or all-wheel drive, three battery sizes, five power outputs, and 10 interior design themes.

2 months ago
Comments
Previous News
Nissan 400Z rear-end teased in new sketch
Nissan 400Z rear-end teased in new sketch
William Stopford
Journalist

Skoda has revealed its first production vehicle on Volkswagen’s MEB electric vehicle platform, the Enyaq iV.

European deliveries will begin next Autumn, though Skoda Australia director Michael Irmer told CarExpert that in terms of local plans, “At the moment we don’t have a definite go and the timing yet, but we have clearly the intent to do it”.

When the Enyaq iV is introduced in Europe next year, it’ll offer a choice of rear- or all-wheel drive, three battery sizes, and five different power outputs. That also means it’ll be the first rear-drive, rear-wheel drive Skoda since the rear-engine 120 ended production in 1990.

The entry-level, rear-wheel drive Enyaq 50 iV produces 109kW of power, 220Nm of torque and does the 0-100km/h sprint in 11.4 seconds while achieving an electric range of 340km under the stricter WLTP standard. A 55kWh lithium-ion battery is standard.

At the top of the range is the Enyaq RS iV, which boasts all-wheel drive, 225kW of power and 460Nm of torque and reaches 100km/h in 6.2 seconds while achieving a range of 460km. It adds a second electric motor and uses a larger 82kWh lithium-ion battery.

The efficiency king is the mid-range Enyaq 80 iV with 510km of range. All Enyaq iV models are relatively slippery though, with a drag coefficient of 0.27.

The 82kWh battery in high-end Enyaq iVs can be charged from 5 to 80 per cent in 38 minutes using DC fast charging, while an AC wall box of up to 11kW will charge Enyaq iV models in 6-8 hours depending on the battery size.

Skoda is offering three free years of its Powerpass, which allows users to charge their vehicle at most of the 195,000 charging points in the European Union using just one card.

The range will launch with a special Founders Edition commemorating 125 years of Skoda. It’ll be limited to just 1895 units and will wear the glitzy new Crystal Face, also standard on the RS and optional on the 80 iV and 80x iV, which features a grille illuminated with 130 LEDs.

It also features 21-inch wheels, the largest in the Enyaq range which opens with 18-inch wheels.

Skoda claims that, due to its skateboard platform, the Enyaq has Kodiaq-rivalling interior-dimensions despite being shorter than the Octavia. It measures 4649mm long, 1616mm tall and 1879mm wide, slightly longer and wider than a Toyota RAV4.

The Enyaq iV’s Park Assist system can now brake the car automatically to avoid collisions in addition to controlling the steering and also allows you to record a frequently used route into a parking space so the system will remember. You’ll also be able to guide your Enyaq iV into tight spaces remotely via the Skoda Connect app on your smartphone.

Inside, the Enyaq employs what Skoda is calling “design selections” which replace existing trim levels. There are ten themed packages, each inspired by modern living environments; the 50 iV features the Studio theme, while Loft is standard from the 60 iV up and the RS features RS Lounge. Others include Lounge and Suite.

Lodge models feature seat covers made of 40 per cent new wool, with the other 60 per cent of the upholstery made from recycled PET bottles. The leather in the ecoSuite has been treated with olive leaf extracts instead of chemicals.

The standard infotainment system measures 10 inches, though a 13-inch unit is available. Also available is wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and wireless phone charging. The 5.3-inch Digital Cockpit is standard across the range, as are LED headlights and tail lights with Matrix LED headlights optional.


Share

Link copied!
Next News
2021 Hyundai Kona: Updated SUV here next year with more powerful N Line flagship
2021 Hyundai Kona: Updated SUV here next year with more powerful N Line flagship