BMW has detailed Australian pricing and specifications for its seventh-generation 7 Series flagship sedan, as well as the all-electric i7.
UPDATE, 18/04/2023 – BMW Australia has confirmed pricing for the new i7 M70, due here in the fourth quarter of 2023. It has also confirmed 740i pricing is up by $4000 and i7 xDrive60 pricing is up by $9000.
Customer deliveries commenced in the fourth quarter of 2022, and the range will be completed with the i7 M70 due in the fourth quarter of 2023.
Pricing starts at $272,900 before on-road costs for the 740i and extends to $344,900 before on-roads for the i7 M70 xDrive.
This new-generation 740i has a price more than $20,000 higher than that of the outgoing 740Li, but BMW says the new model “offers significantly expanded level of specification, technology and dynamic capability”.
As detailed previously, the i7 is the first time the 7 Series has been available with all-electric power. It rivals the likes of the Mercedes-AMG EQS 53 4Matic+ ($328,400 before on-road costs).
The 2023 BMW 740i is powered by a 3.0-litre twin-turbo inline-six-cylinder petrol engine with a 48V mild-hybrid system, with total system outputs of 280kW of power and 540Nm of torque.
This 48V mild-hybrid system is able to produce up to 9kW and 200Nm and is used as a starter motor to fire up the combustion engine.
It’s also able to act as a generator and recuperate kinetic energy during coasting and braking at a rate of up to 15kW.
The all-electric i7 xDrive60 is powered by a dual-electric motor setup which produces 400kW and 745Nm. It’s mated to a 106kWh battery pack and BMW claims it has a range of up to 625km on the WLTP cycle.
The i7 M70 xDrive also has a dual-motor powertrain and 106kWh battery pack, but boasts maximum outputs of 485kW and 1100Nm and range of up to 560km.
BMW says it has tuned the all-wheel drive system, steering, dampers and stability systems specifically for the M70.
It rides on adaptive two-axle air suspension with electronically controlled dampers and automatic self-levelling, with M-specific air springs tailored to increase the number of vibrations on each axle to provide a “noticeably direct connection to the vehicle body”.
Integral Active Steering and the Executive Drive Pro chassis package, the latter of which includes active roll stabilisation, are standard.
All i7 owners also receive a third-generation BMW Wallbox as standard, as well as a complimentary five-year Chargefox charging subscription.
This new BMW 7 Series is larger in every single dimension than the outgoing model and has a number of new design elements.
The front end of the new 7 Series is dominated by a humongous double-kidney grille that’s illuminated and is flanked by a split headlight setup with adaptive LED technology and Swarovski crystal internals.
The 7’s side profile is described as “monolithic” by the German automaker, and has an angular interpretation of the company’s Hofmeister kink.
As with other recent new models and refreshes from BMW, the 7 Series and i7 features a Curved Display containing a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a 14.9-inch infotainment touchscreen.
Another notable new interior feature is the 31.3-inch 8K BMW Theatre screen for rear passengers which folds down from the headliner. It’s available as standard on the i7 and optional on the 740i.
There a number of different sustainable interior elements BMW has used throughout the interior of the new 7 Series including synthetic yarn floor covering, as well as recycled PET bottle trim for the headliner and pillars.
- 2023 BMW 740i: $272,900 (+$4000)
- 2023 BMW i7 xDrive60: $306,900 (+$9000)
- 2023 BMW i7 M70 xDrive: $344,900
All prices include GST and LCT but exclude on-road costs.
The 2023 BMW 740i is powered by a 3.0-litre twin-turbo inline-six-cylinder petrol engine with a 48V mild-hybrid system, with total system outputs of 280kW of power and 540Nm of torque. This is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission, with drive sent to the rear wheels only.
BMW claims the 740i can do the 0-100km/h sprint in 5.4 seconds.
The all-electric flagship i7 xDrive60 uses a dual-motor all-wheel drive electric powertrain with total system outputs of 400kW and 745Nm. It’s mated to a 106kWh battery pack.
BMW claims it can do the 0-100km/h sprint in 4.7 seconds.
The BMW i7 M70 xDrive also features a dual-motor all-wheel drive powertrain. Total system torque is 1015Nm in Sport mode, with total system power of 485kW and torque of 1100Nm when M Launch Control or the M Sport Boost function is activated.
BMW claims a 0-100km/h time of 3.7 seconds.
The BMW 740i has claimed combined cycle fuel economy of 7.9L/100km.
The i7 xDrive60 has an electric range of up to 625km according to WLTP testing and has a maximum DC fast-charging speed of 195kW. BMW says the i7 xDrive60 can charge from 10 per cent to 80 per cent in 34 minutes.
Range is slightly lower in the i7 M70 xDrive, with a maximum claimed WLTP range of 560km.
Both i7 models also come standard with a third-generation BMW Wallbox for home charging, as well as a complimentary five-year Chargefox subscription.
The 2023 BMW 7 Series and i7 measure 5391mm long, 1950mm wide, and 1544mm tall with a 3215mm wheelbase.
Compared to the outgoing long-wheelbase model, the new range-topping sedan is 123mm longer, 48mm wider, 65mm taller, and has 5mm longer wheelbase. The 7 Series is now offered globally in a single length, instead of short- and long-wheelbase variants.
The 740i offers 540L of boot space whereas the i7 xDrive60 has 500L.
BMW offers a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
The 2023 BMW 740i comes standard with a five-year BMW Service Inclusive package and the i7 xDrive60 comes with a six-year BMW Service Inclusive package. This particular service package includes all logbook service requirements.
The 2023 BMW 7 Series and i7 haven’t been crash tested yet by ANCAP or Euro NCAP.
Standard safety features include:
- 7 airbags incl. front-centre
- Active Protection inc. Attentiveness Assistant
- Active front headrests
- Driving Assistant Professional
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Lane change warning
- Lane departure warning
- Front, rear cross-traffic alert
- Rear collision prevention (AEB)
- Exit Warning
- Steering and Lane Control Assistant
- Auto speed limit assist
- Evasion Assistant
- Front Brake Intervention (AEB)
- Forward collision warning
- Parking Assistant Professional
- Parking Assistant
- Active Park Distant Control
- Lateral Parking Aid
- Surround View cameras
- Panorama View
- 3D View
- Reversing Assistant Professional (up to 200m)
- Object and line marking detection
- Automated Manoeuvre Assistant
- BMW Drive Recorder
- Speed limit recognition
- Speed limiter
- Tyre pressure monitor
The 2023 BMW 740i comes standard with the following features:
- 20-inch M alloy wheels
- M Sport package
- M front and rear bumpers
- M Sport brakes with dark blue calipers
- High-gloss black M side sills
- Rear-axle steering
- Adaptive two-axle air suspension
- BMW Crystal headlights with adaptive LED technology
- Illuminated Kidney Grille Iconic Glow
- Panoramic glass roof Sky Lounge
- BMW Individual metallic paintwork
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- 14.9-inch infotainment touchscreen
- Head-up display
- BMW CraftedClarity Glass iDrive controller, start/stop button, volume roller dial, gear selector and seat adjustment buttons
- M Carbon Fibre interior trim
- Travel & Comfort system
- USB-C ports behind the front seat backs
- Interior camera
- 20-speaker Bowers and Wilkins surround sound system
- Natural Interaction
- Interior camera
- BMW Individual leather ‘Merino’ upholstery
- Multifunctional front seats with heating, ventilation, lumbar support, head restraint height and width adjustment, and massage function
- Heat Comfort package
- Heated rear seats
- BMW Individual Alcantara Anthracite headliner
- Remote engine start
The all-electric i7 xDrive60 adds the following:
- 21-inch M alloy wheels
- Executive Drive Pro
- Active roll stabilisation
- Active roll comfort technology
- Automatic doors
- Acoustic protection for pedestrians
- BMW IconicSounds Electric
- 31.3-inch 8K BMW Theatre screen for rear passengers
- 35-speaker Bowers and Wilkins Diamond surround sound system
- Multifunction rear seats
- Executive Lounge rear console
- Rear seat entertainment experience
- BMW Individual Gran Lusso interior
- BMW Individual merino/wool-cashmere combination upholstery
- Five-year Chargefox charging subscription
- BMW third-generation wallbox
- Mode 2 domestic charging cable
- Mode 3 public charging cable
The i7 M70 xDrive adds:
- M performance tuning
- Executive Lounge Seating
- Ventilated rear seats
- Massaging rear seats
- BMW Individual Frozen metallic paint
A range of option packages are available.
The no-cost Design Pure Excellence package adds the following:
- Chrome exterior elements
- Grey brake calipers
The no-cost M Sport Pro package adds:
- M Sport brakes with black high-gloss calipers
- Black high-gloss M rear spoiler
- BMW Individual high-gloss shadow line on the grille frame and struts, rear apron trim and tail lights
The Connoisseur Lounge package ($27,900 for 740i, $9000 for i7 xDrive60) adds:
- Automatic doors (740i only)
- 31.3-inch 8K BMW Theatre screen for rear passengers (740i only)
- Executive Lounge seating
- Rear multifunction seats (740i only)
- Rear ventilated seats
- Massaging rear seats
- Executive lounge rear console (740i only)
- 40-speaker Bowers and Wilkins Diamond surround sound system
The no-cost M Performance package on the M70 adds:
- High-gloss black grille surround, grille struts
- High-gloss M Sport brakes
- High-gloss black rear spoiler, accent strip, rear apron inlay
There are also a range of different alloy and titanium wheels available, as well as different interior colourways and trim inlays.
The 2023 BMW 740i and i7 xDrive60 are available with the following exterior paint colours:
- Alpine White
- M Carbon Black metallic
- Black Sapphire metallic
- Sophisto Grey Brilliant Effect metallic (excludes M70)
- Mineral White metallic
- Oxide Grey metallic
- M Brooklyn Grey metallic
- Sparkling Copper Grey metallic (excludes M70)
- Aventurine Red metallic
- Space Silver metallic (excludes M70)
- Dravit Grey BMW Individual metallic
- Tanzanite Blue BMW Individual metallic
- Frozen Pure Grey BMW Individual metallic (+$2600)
- Frozen Deep Grey BMW Individual metallic (+$2600)
- Frozen Tanzanite Blue BMW Individual metallic (M70 only)
There are also a range of BMW Individual two-tone metallic paintworks available with either a Black Sapphire metallic or Oxide Grey metallic upper sections. These cost an additional $17,500.
M70 models can also be specified with BMW Individual Special Request Paintwork colours for the lower section.