Volkswagen Australia is officially back in the premium passenger car market with the return of the Arteon.
The 2022 relaunch expands the range over the 2017-2019 model, which was sold with one engine (206TSI) in fastback/liftback guise.
UPDATE, 04/05/2022 – Volkswagen Australia is increasing the asking price for the Arteon between $1900 and $2500, depending on the variant, from June 1, 2022.
“Unfortunately due to global increases in production, supplier and transport costs, certain models will have an increased RRP from June 1, 2022,” said a Volkswagen Australia spokesperson in a statement.
“We strive to ensure that any cost increase is absorbed or – where it cannot be – kept to a minimum.”
UPDATE, 14/12/2021 07:00am – Volkswagen has announced updated pricing for the 2022 Arteon. Those prices have been added to the price list, and the changes have been put in brackets. The text of the story has been updated where required.
Now the range comes with two petrol engines including a base 140TSI. And as a welcome and on-the-surface surprising bonus – though we reported as much a few months ago – the new ‘shooting brake’ estate variant will come here for the first time, at a $2000 premium.
The Arteon fills a niche in the range, slotting in where the Volkswagen CC once sat. It serves as the brand’s closest offering to conventional luxury cars alongside the Touareg SUV.
The Arteon launched in Australia solely as a liftback in November 2017, and the company sold 1306 before putting the car on hiatus. According to VFACTS sales data, Volkswagen last sold one here in April 2020.
Supply for the 2022 Arteon will be limited, with a significant shipment of cars not due until April 2022.
- Arteon 140TSI Elegance liftback: $63,640 (+$1900)
- Arteon 140TSI Elegance Shooting Brake: $65,640 (+$1900)
- Arteon 206TSI R-Line liftback: $71,240 (+$2500)
- Arteon 206TSI R-Line Shooting Brake: $73,240 (+$2500)
All prices exclude on-road costs
The base Arteon 140TSI gets a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol producing 140kW of power and 320Nm of torque, mated to a seven-speed DSG automatic driving the front wheels. Expect a 0-100km/h time just under 7.9 seconds, or 8.0 seconds for the equivalent Shooting Brake version.
The more powerful 206TSI’s uprated 2.0-litre turbo tuned to develop a beefier 206kW and 400Nm, and also uses a seven-speed DSG to send the drive to all four wheels using Volkswagen’s 4Motion system. With its substantial gain in grunt, it slashes the 0-100km/h time to about 5.5 seconds for the liftback and 5.6sec for the Shooting Brake.
Alas for full-fledged performance devotees, the 235kW Arteon R offered in the UK won’t be coming. Volkswagen plans to launch the Golf R, T-Roc R, and Tiguan R in 2022, and clearly has enough Rs to be getting along with.
Nor will Europe’s plug-in hybrid (PHEV) come here, since tight factory allocation is being sent across Europe where demand for low-emissions cars is much higher.
The 2022 Volkswagen Arteon uses 6.2L/100km on the combined cycle in 140TSI models and 7.7L/100km in 206TSI models.
Both engines require 95RON premium unleaded.
The Volkswagen Arteon liftback measures 4866mm long, 1871mm wide and 1460mm tall, and sits on a 2835mm wheelbase.
European markets claim the wagon is 2mm taller but final figures are TBC for Australia. Likewise the UK market claims the wagon’s 590-litre boot is 27L more capacious.
The pre-facelift Arteon has a five-star ANCAP rating based on testing carried out in 2017.
It scored 96 per cent for adult occupant protection, 85 per cent for child occupant protection, 85 per cent for pedestrian protection, and 74 per cent for safety assist.
Both Arteon grades are fitted with Volkswagen’s branded ‘IQ.DRIVE’ active safety suite, comprising:
- Travel Assist with Adaptive Lane Guidance (steering between road lines)
- Front Assist with Pedestrian Monitoring (AEB)
- Lane-keep assist
- Emergency Assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- Side Assist (active blind-spot monitoring)
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Park Assist
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Driver attention monitoring
- 360-degree Proactive Occupant Protection
The Arteon 206TSI adds an alarm with SAFELOCK deadlocking.
Like all Volkswagens it’ll come with a five-year and unlimited-kilometre warranty, capped-price servicing due every calendar year or 15,000km, and with the option of pre-purchasing three and five-year service plans.
Pricing for the servicing plans are as follows:
|Three-year service plans||Five-year service plan|
This is a luxuriously specified vehicle.
The Arteon Elegance 140TSI includes:
- IQ.LIGHT matrix LED headlights
- LED tail lights with dynamic indicators
- 19-inch ‘Chennai’ alloy wheels with matching full-sized alloy spare
- Adaptive Chassis Control (active dampers)
- Easy open & close electric tailgate
- Power-folding mirrors with surround lighting and memory
- Digital Cockpit Pro (digital cluster)
- 9.2-inch navigation system with gesture and voice control
- Wired and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- DAB+ & AM/FM bands (liftback) or DAB+ & FM with no AM (wagon)
- Seats with Nappa leather-appointed trim
- Ventilated, heated and 12-way electric front seats with driver massage, easy entry and memory
- Three-zone climate control
- Area view 360-degree camera system
- Harmon Kardon premium sound system 10+1 speakers, 700W total power output, digital 16-channel amplifier and subwoofer
- Ambient interior lighting with 30 selectable colours
- Head-up display projected on a glass piece
The Arteon R-Line 206TSI gains extras such as:
- 4MOTION all-wheel drive
- 20-inch ‘Nashville’ alloy wheels with matching full size alloy spare
- Sports seats with integrated headrests and R-Line Carbon Nappa leather appointed trim
- Heated and 14-way electric front seats with driver massage, easy entry and memory function (No seat ventilation)
- R-Line front & rear bumpers, R-Line scuff plates in door apertures, roof liner black, R-Line multifunction sports steering wheel
Optional on both grades is a $2000 panoramic glass sunroof.
The following paint colours are no-cost:
- Kings Red Metallic
- Pyrite Silver Metallic
- Manganese Grey Metallic
- Deep Black Pearl Effect
- Kingfisher Blue Metallic (only Elegance)
- Lapiz Blue Metallic (only R-Line)
While Oryx White Pearlescent costs $800.