The shapely CLS four-door coupe will only be available in Mercedes-AMG guise for 2022.
Mercedes-Benz Australia has axed the CLS450, leaving only the Mercedes-AMG CLS 53 4Matic+.
It has received a mid-cycle update that’s also brought with it a Limited Edition.
The CLS 53 and its Limited Edition counterpart are available to order now, with the former currently arriving in showrooms and the latter touching down in January.
Just 20 Limited Editions are coming to Australia out of a production run of 299 vehicles, priced at $197,600 before on-roads – $14,000 more than the regular CLS 53.
Additional equipment includes a steering wheel wrapped in Nappa leather and Dinamica microfibre, power-closing doors, and the AMG Dynamic Plus package which includes a Race drive program and Drift mode.
Visual tweaks include two-tone silver grey pearl and black Nappa leather upholstery, designo red seat belts, and carbon fibre trim inside, as well as 20-inch matte black alloy wheels, an extended AMG Night package and red brake callipers.
The only paint colours available are Cashmere White Magno and Selenite Grey Magno.
Visual changes to all 2022 Mercedes-AMG CLS models include a revised fascia, with a new front apron, a high gloss-black splitter, and a restyled grille.
The AMG Night Package is fitted as standard, with the exterior mirrors and side window surrounds finished in high-gloss black.
The CLS 53 rides on redesigned 20-inch alloy wheels, while inside there’s the latest generation of AMG steering wheel with enlarged touch control panels. You can also use one of the two AMG buttons to change your drive mode.
- 2022 Mercedes-AMG CLS 53 4Matic+: $183,600
- 2022 Mercedes-AMG CLS 53 4Matic+ Limited Edition: $197,600
Prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2022 Mercedes-AMG CLS is powered by a turbocharged 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine producing 320kW of power and 520Nm of torque. It’s mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.
Its 0-100km/h time is 4.5 seconds.
The 2022 Mercedes-AMG CLS uses 9.2L/100km on the combined cycle. It has an 80L fuel tank.
The 2021 Mercedes-AMG CLS measures 4994mm long, 1425mm tall and 1896mm wide on a 2939mm wheelbase. Dimensions are unlikely to change much for the 2022 model.
The 2022 Mercedes-AMG CLS requires servicing every 12 months or 25,000km, whichever comes first.
It’s offered with three- and five-year servicing plans, costing $2500 and $5100, respectively, and is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
The Mercedes-AMG CLS doesn’t have a rating from ANCAP.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Front cross-traffic assist
- Active Traffic Assist
- Lane-change assist
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Traffic sign assist
- Surround-view camera
- Front, side, curtain and driver’s knee airbags (nine in total)
- Adaptive cruise control
- Evasive steering assist
Standard equipment on the CLS 53 includes:
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Satellite navigation
- 13-speaker 590W Burmester sound system
- Head-up display
- Heated, power-adjustable front seats with memory
- DAB+ digital radio
- Nappa leather upholstery
- 64 colour-adjustable ambient lighting
- Wireless phone charging
- Rear privacy glass
- Nappa leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Open-pore black ash wood trim
- Paddle shifters
- Air Body Control air suspension
- AMG Performance selectable exhaust
- LED headlights with adaptive high-beam
- Keyless entry and start
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Carbon fibre exterior package with lip spoiler and mirror covers in carbon fibre
- Power-closing doors
The Limited Edition adds:
- Nappa leather/Dinamica-wrapped steering wheel
- AMG Dynamic Plus package with Race drive program, Drift mode
- Power-closing doors
- Two-tone silver grey pearl/black leather upholstery
- Carbon fibre interior trim
- Designo red seat belts
- Red brake callipers
- Extended AMG Night Package
- 20-inch matte black alloy wheels
The Limited Edition is available only in Cashmere White Magno or Selenite Grey Magno paint with a black and silver grey pearl interior.
The standard CLS 53 is available in the following finishes:
- High-tech Silver metallic
- Polar White non-metallic
- Spectral Blue metallic
- Graphite Grey metallic
- Mojave Silver metallic
- Obsidian Black metallic
- Selenite Grey metallic
- Designo Diamond White bright
- Designo Selenite Grey magno
Interior colourways comprise:
- Black Nappa leather and Dinamica microfibre (with or without red stitching)
- Macchiato Beige and Magma Grey Nappa leather
- Bengal Red and black Nappa leather
Open-pore grey ash wood trim is optional, with black open-pore ash wood standard on the CLS 53 and carbon fibre standard on the Limited Edition.