Look out Ford Everest and Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, there’s a new kid on the block.
Built on the same bones as the D-Max ute, the 2022 Isuzu MU-X promises to be more comfortable, more powerful, and more capable than its popular predecessor.
UPDATE, 1/4/2022 – Isuzu has announced price increases across the MU-X range, citing increased production and freight costs. We’ve updated the price list below.
It’s also more expensive. Based on list price, the new MU-X will be at least $2700 more expensive than its predecessor when it arrives in Australian showrooms on August 2, 2021, with some variants up by as much as $9800.
Although it’s more luxurious than before, the 2022 MU-X remains a rugged off-roader with a focus on towing.
Along with its uprated 3500kg braked towing capacity and larger 80L fuel tank, it’s gained a rear locking differential to take it further off-road like its D-Max sibling.
Power still comes from a 3.0-litre turbo-diesel engine, albeit a heavily modified one compared to the engine in the current MU-X.
Shared with the D-Max, the 4JJ3-TCX engine makes 140kW of power and 450Nm of torque, and has a new block, cylinder head, crankshaft, and aluminium pistons. It also packs a new intake system and turbocharger for less lag down low.
It’s mated to a retuned Aisin six-speed automatic transmission as standard, designed to hunt less and be more decisive on the move.
The MU-X has a full range of active driver assists standard across the line-up, as part of what Isuzu calls its IDAS suite. A full list of inclusions features in the safety section below.
As for the luxuries? A full specification breakdown features at the bottom of the page, but the new MU-X is available with even more luxury features than the D-Max, including heated seats and tyre-pressure monitoring.
- 2022 Isuzu MU-X LS-M 4×2: $48,900 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu MU-X LS-M 4×4: $54,900 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu MU-X LS-U 4×2: $55,400 (+$1500)
- 2022 Isuzu MU-X LS-U 4×4: $61,400 (+$1500)
- 2022 Isuzu MU-X LS-T 4×2: $61,400 (+$1500)
- 2022 Isuzu MU-X LS-T 4×4: $67,400 before on-roads, $65,990 drive-away (up $2500 and $2000)
All prices exclude on-road costs unless otherwise noted.
Power in all 2022 Isuzu MU-X models comes from the same 3.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine as the D-Max ute, making 140kW and 450Nm.
In 4×2 models, it’s sent exclusively to the rear wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission.
The 4×4 adds a switchable four-wheel drive with high- and low-range, along with a locking rear differential. It’s auto-only, like the 4×2 model.
The 3.0-litre engine in the 2022 Isuzu MU-X uses a claimed 7.8L/100km on the combined cycle in 4×2 models, and a claimed 8.3L/100km on 4×4 models.
The 2022 Isuzu MU-X measures 4850mm long, 1870mm wide and 1815mm tall, with a 2855mm wheelbase.
That makes it 25mm longer, 10mm wider and up to 35mm lower than the current model, with a 10mm longer wheelbase.
The car’s turning circle has improved from 11.6m to 11.4m, while its approach, departure, and ramp-over angles have jumped to 29.2, 26.4, and 23.1 degrees respectively.
Ground clearance is 230mm in LS-M models, and 235mm in LS-U and LS-T guises. Wading depth is 800mm.
Boot space is 311L (+25L) with all three seating rows in place, 1119L (+68L) with the third row folded, and 2138L (-24L) with all three rows flat.
A full breakdown of the car’s towing statistics from the Isuzu media release is below:
The headline figure is the new 3500kg braked-towing capacity, up 500kg on the outgoing model.
It’s worth noting, however, the car’s Gross Combination Mass means a top-spec LS-T 4×4 towing a 3500kg trailer would only be able to carry an extra 225kg of passengers and luggage.
As always, it pays to do the maths on your load before hitting the road with the family.
The MU-X has a five-star safety rating from ANCAP, based on testing conducted in 2020 of the related D-Max.
It received an adult occupant protection score of 87 per cent, a child occupant protection score of 85 per cent, a vulnerable road user protection score of 69 per cent, and a safety assist score of 84 per cent.
The whole MU-X range comes with a full gamut of active safety features atop eight airbags, including:
- Autonomous emergency braking with turn assist (stops you turning into an oncoming car)
- Post-collision braking, which stops the car after a rear-end accident
- Forward collision warning
- Wrong-pedal braking, which stops if it thinks you’ve hit the accelerator instead of the brake
- Adaptive cruise with stop/go
- Traffic sign recognition
- Lane-departure warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Driver attention monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Trailer sway control
- Reversing camera and rear parking sensors
The MU-X is backed by a six-year, 150,000-kilometre warranty.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 15,000km, and costs $3373 over the first seven years to service.
Standard equipment in the LS-M includes:
- Electric park brake
- 17-inch alloy wheels with Dunlop AT25 All-Terrain tyres
- Black-trimmed door mirrors and door handles
- Black/grey grille
- Urethane steering wheel and shifter
- Cloth seat trim and carpet flooring
- Keyless entry and start
- 7.0-inch touchscreen with wireless Apple CarPlay and wired Android Auto, DAB+ digital radio
- Four-speaker sound system
- Manual air-conditioning with rear vents and controls
- Bi-LED headlights and LED daytime running lights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
Moving to the LS-U brings:
- 18-inch alloy wheels with Bridgestone 684II HT tyres
- Body-coloured door mirrors and handles
- Silver/chrome front grille
- Leather steering wheel, gear selector
- Electric lumbar support for driver
- Piano black, chrome/silver/cloth door trims
- Bronze, chrome dashboard trims
- Keyless entry and start with walk-away locking
- 9.0-inch infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay and wired Android Auto, factory satellite navigation, DAB+ digital radio
- Eight-speaker sound system
- Dual-zone climate control with rear vents and controls
- Auto-levelling, auto high-beam headlights
- LED fog lights
- LED tail lights
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Powered tailgate with remote entry
- Roof rails
- Rear privacy glass with chrome window trim
The Isuzu MU-X LS-T packs:
- 20-inch alloy wheels with machined finish
- Tungsten silver and chrome front grille
- Carpet flooring
- Quilted, leather-accented seats
- Quilted, leatherette door trims and centre console
- Heated front seats
- Eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat with adjustable lumbar
- LED ambient lighting, backlit gear selector
- Piano black, chrome interior trim
- Remote engine start
The range of colours on offer in the new MU-X is below.