The 2022 Isuzu D-Max range has grown.
Isuzu will introduce a new engine, a new trim level, and new body styles to existing model grades when the 2022 D-Max touches down.
UPDATE, 1/4/2022 – Isuzu Ute Australia has confirmed it has increased pricing across the range from April 1, 2022 citing increased production and logistics costs. We’ve updated the price list below.
Previously set for an early 2022 introduction, Isuzu says all bar the 1.9-litre SX Single Cab Chassis 4×2 will be available from December 1, 2021. That particular variant will be available in early January.
Plenty of buyers are still waiting for their 2021 D-Max to arrive from the factory in Thailand, and could be waiting into next year.
In some cases, that means the car that will be the updated 2022 model, not the 2021.
Isuzu announced earlier this year that anyone who ordered their car before July 31 will have their price locked in, even if the price of the 2022 car delivered has jumped.
At the bottom end of the range, the 4×2 SX Cab Chassis is now available with a more efficient 1.9-litre turbo-diesel engine.
It’s aimed at big fleet buyers running lots of cars, which spend lots of time idling on the roadside rather than hauling heavy loads. The price of entry has dropped from $33,200 to $31,200 before on-road costs.
The SX is now also available with a Space Cab Chassis, for more cabin space than a single-cab model and a longer tray than the crew-cab.
In the mid-range, the LS-M and LS-U are now available as Crew Cab Chassis models with a choice of steel or alloy trays. The LS-U cab chassis goes head-to-head with the Toyota HiLux SR5 cab chassis.
At the top end of the range, a new LS-U+ model slots between the LS-U and the X-Terrain.
It’s designed to offer most of the kit the X-Terrain has inside at a lower price, and without that model’s aggressive exterior design.
To help make room, Isuzu has also discontinued two variants for 2022: the SX Space Cab Ute 4×2 auto and SX Crew Cab Ute 4×4 manual have been discontinued for 2022.
All 4×4 models have a higher gross combination mass (GCM) of 6000kg, up 50kg on 2021 models.
The entire range also benefits from a new steering wheel switch that’ll turn off all lane support systems if you hold it for two seconds.
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX single cab chassis 1.9-litre manual 4×2: $32,200 before on-roads, $31,990 drive-away (up $1000 and $2000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX single cab chassis 1.9-litre auto 4×2: $34,200 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX single cab chassis manual 4×2: $34,200 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX single cab chassis auto 4×2: $36,200 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX space cab chassis auto 4×2: $39,700 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX crew cab chassis auto 4×2: $42,700 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX crew cab ute auto 4×2: $44,200 (+$1300)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-U crew cab ute auto 4×2: $53,000 (+$1600)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX single cab chassis manual 4×4: $42,200 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX single cab chassis auto 4×4: $44,200 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX space cab chassis manual 4×4: $45,700 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX space cab chassis auto 4×4: $47,700 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX crew cab chassis manual 4×4: $48,700 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX crew cab chassis auto 4×4: $50,700 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max SX crew cab ute auto 4×4: $52,200 (+$1300)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-M crew cab ute manual 4×4: $53,300 (+$1300)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-M crew cab chassis auto 4×4: $53,800 (+$1000)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-M crew cab ute auto 4×4: $55,300 (+$1300)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-U space cab ute auto 4×4: $58,000 (+$1600)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-U crew cab ute manual 4×4: $59,000 (+$1600)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-U crew cab chassis auto 4×4: $59,500 (+$1300)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-U crew cab ute auto 4×4: $61,000 (+$1600)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max LS-U+ crew cab ute auto 4×4: $63,500 (+$1600)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max X-Terrain crew cab ute auto 4×4: $67,500 before on-roads, $64,990 drive-away (up $1600 and $2000)
All prices exclude on-road costs unless otherwise specified.
New for 2022 in the D-Max range is a 1.9-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine making 110kW of power and 350Nm of torque.
It’s available with a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions.
Most of the 2022 Isuzu D-Max range is powered by a 3.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine producing 140kW of power and 450Nm of torque.
A six-speed manual is offered on some trim grades, while a six-speed torque converter automatic is available across the range.
Combined fuel economy of the 3.0-litre D-Max ranges between 7.7L and 8.0L/100km depending on the variant, while the 1.9-litre has a rating of 7.0L/100km.
Four-wheel drive models feature switchable 2H, 4H, and 4L options plus a standard locking rear differential.
The dual-cab 2021 Isuzu D-Max with an integrated tray measures 5280mm long and 1870mm wide, or 1880mm wide in the range-topping X-Terrain.
The entire range has a 3125mm wheelbase, and the tallest D-Max X-Terrain measures 1810mm high.
Approach angle is 30.5 degrees, departure angle is 24.2 degrees, and ramp-over angle is 23.8 degrees, while Isuzu claims an 800mm wading depth.
The 3.0-litre D-Max will tow a 3500kg braked trailer and has a 350kg maximum down ball load, and payload varies from 970kg in the X-Terrain to 1320kg in the Single Cab Chassis SX.
The 1.9-litre model has a 2800kg braked towing capacity with the manual, and 3000kg with the automatic. Unbraked towing capacity is 750kg.
The D-Max is backed by a six-year, 150,000km warranty, and comes with seven years of roadside assist.
Maintenance for the D-Max is required every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first.
The first seven years of servicing will cost you a combined $3513 in 3.0-litre models and $3223 in 1.9-litre models.
The Isuzu D-Max was tested by ANCAP in 2020 and earned a five-star rating.
That rating was based on an adult occupant protection score of 83 per cent, a child occupant protection score of 89 per cent and a safety assist score of 81 per cent. Vulnerable road user protection testing yielded a score of 69 per cent.
Every model comes standard with the following safety features:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Driver attention monitoring
- Forward collision warning
- Lane-departure warning
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Turn assist
- Traffic sign recognition
- Automatic high-beam
- Reversing camera
Automatic models also add wrong-pedal acceleration warning, adaptive cruise, and lane-keep assist.
Eight airbags are standard, including a central airbag designed to stop the passenger and driver’s flailing arms and heads crashing into each other in a serious side-impact crash.
Standard equipment on the D-Max SX includes:
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay, wired Android Auto
- 4.2-inch trip computer display
- Cloth upholstery
- Manual air-conditioning
- 17-inch steel wheels
Moving to the LS-M brings:
- ‘High-grade’ cloth upholstery
- Rear USB connector
- Rear parking sensors (new)
- Seat back pockets
- Fold-down central armrest
- Six-speaker audio system
- Bi-LED headlights
- LED daytime running lights
- Body-coloured mirrors
- 17-inch alloy wheels
Jumping to the LS-U adds:
- 9.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with wireless Apple CarPlay, wired Android Auto, factory satellite navigation
- Keyless entry and start (new)
- Factory-fitted tow bar receiver (new)
- Tub liner (new, ute models)
- Rear parking sensors
- Powered lumbar support for driver’s seat
- Leather-trimmed gear knob
- Soft-touch door trim
- Soft central armrest lid
- Vanity mirrors for driver, passenger
- Carpet flooring
- Side steps
- LED rear lights
- 18-inch alloy wheels
The LS-U+ gains:
- Leather-accented seats
- Black interior trim highlights
- Heated front seats
- Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Heated door mirrors
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Finally, the range-topping X-Terrain packs:
- Front parking sensors
- Leather-accented seats
- Heated front seats (new)
- Factory-fitted tow bar (new)
- Red and black interior accents (new)
- Vanity mirror lights (new)
- Remote engine start
- Eight-speaker sound system
- Unique exterior trim
- 18-inch black-finish alloy wheels
The 2022 D-Max range will be offered in eight colours. All except Mineral White come at a $500 premium.
- Mineral White
- Basalt Black mica
- Cobalt Blue mica
- Mercury Silver metallic
- Obsidian Grey metallic
- Marble White pearl (LS-U, LS-U+, X-Terrain)
- Magnetic Red mica (LS-U, LS-U+, X-Terrain)
- Volcanic Amber metallic (X-Terrain)
MORE: Everything Isuzu D-Max