The 2022 Isuzu D-Max range has grown.
Isuzu will introduce a new engine, a new trim level, and new body styles to existing model grades when the 2022 D-Max touches down early in 2022.
Plenty of buyers are waiting for their 2021 D-Max to arrive from the factory in Thailand, and could be waiting into next year.
In some cases, that means the car that will be the updated 2022 model, not the 2021.
Isuzu says anyone who ordered their car before July 31 will have their price locked in, even if the price of the 2022 car delivered has jumped.
At the bottom end of the range, the 4×2 SX Cab Chassis is now available with a more efficient 1.9-litre turbo-diesel engine.
It’s aimed at big fleet buyers running lots of cars, which spend lots of time idling on the roadside rather than hauling heavy loads. The price of entry has dropped from $33,200 to $31,200 before on-road costs.
The SX is now also available with a Space Cab Chassis, for more cabin space than a single-cab model and a longer tray than the crew-cab.
In the mid-range, the LS-M and LS-U are now available as Crew Cab Chassis models with a choice of steel or alloy trays. The LS-U cab chassis goes head-to-head with the Toyota HiLux SR5 cab chassis.
At the top end of the range, a new LS-U+ model slots between the LS-U and the X-Terrain.
It’s designed to offer most of the kit the X-Terrain has inside at a lower price, and without that model’s aggressive exterior design.
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Single Cab Chassis SX 1.9 manual: $31,200 (new)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Single Cab Chassis SX 1.9: $33,200 (new)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Single Cab Chassis SX manual: $33,200
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Single Cab Chassis SX: $35,200
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Space Cab Chassis SX: $38,700 (new)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Chassis SX: $41,700
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute SX: $42,900
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute LS-U: $51,400 (+$1500)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Single Cab Chassis SX manual: $41,200
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Single Cab Chassis SX: $43,200
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Space Cab Chassis SX manual: $44,700
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Space Cab Chassis SX: $46,700
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Chassis SX manual: $47,700
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Chassis SX: $49,700
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute SX manual: $48,900
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute SX: $50,900
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute LS-M manual: $52,000
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Chassis LS-M: $52,800 (new)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute LS-M: $54,000
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Space Cab Ute LS-U: $56,400 (+$1500)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute LS-U manual: $57,400 (+$1500)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute LS-U: $59,400 (+$1500)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Chassis LS-U: $58,200 (new)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute LS-U+: $61,900 (new)
- 2022 Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab Ute X-Terrain: $65,900 ($62,990 drive-away)
All prices exclude on-road costs unless otherwise specified.
New for 2022 in the D-Max range is a 1.9-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine making 110kW of power and 350Nm of torque.
It’s available with a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions.
Most of the 2022 Isuzu D-Max range is powered by a 3.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine producing 140kW of power and 450Nm of torque.
A six-speed manual is offered on some trim grades, while a six-speed torque converter automatic is available across the range.
The 1.9-litre turbo-diesel D-Max hasn’t been homologated for Australia yet, and doesn’t have a claimed fuel usage figure.
Combined fuel economy of the 2022 Isuzu D-Max 3.0 ranges between 7.7L and 8.0L/100km depending on the variant.
Four-wheel drive models feature switchable 2H, 4H, and 4L options plus a standard locking rear differential.
The dual-cab 2021 Isuzu D-Max with an integrated tray measures 5280mm long and 1870mm wide, or 1880mm wide in the range-topping X-Terrain.
The entire range has a 3125mm wheelbase, and the tallest D-Max X-Terrain measures 1810mm high.
Approach angle is 30.5 degrees, departure angle is 24.2 degrees, and ramp-over angle is 23.8 degrees, while Isuzu claims an 800mm wading depth.
The 3.0-litre D-Max will tow a 3500kg braked trailer and has a 350kg maximum down ball load, and payload varies from 970kg in the X-Terrain to 1320kg in the Single Cab Chassis SX.
The 1.9-litre model has a 2800kg braked towing capacity with the manual, and 3000kg with the automatic. Unbraked towing capacity is 750kg.
Maintenance for the D-Max is required every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first.
The first seven years of servicing will cost you a combined $3373, laid out below:
- 15,000km: $389
- 30,000km: $409
- 45,000km: $609
- 60,000km: $509
- 75,000km: $299
- 90,000km: $749
- 105,000km: $409
The D-Max is backed by a six-year, 150,000km warranty, and comes with seven years of roadside assist.
Standard equipment on the D-Max SX includes:
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay, wired Android Auto
- 4.2-inch trip computer display
- Cloth upholstery
- Manual air-conditioning
- 17-inch steel wheels
Moving to the LS-M brings:
- ‘High-grade’ cloth upholstery
- Rear USB connector
- Rear parking sensors (new)
- Seat back pockets
- Fold-down central armrest
- Six-speaker audio system
- Bi-LED headlights
- LED daytime running lights
- Body-coloured mirrors
- 17-inch alloy wheels
Jumping to the LS-U adds:
- 9.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with wireless Apple CarPlay, wired Android Auto, factory satellite navigation
- Keyless entry and start (new)
- Factory-fitted tow bar receiver (new)
- Tub liner (new, ute models)
- Rear parking sensors
- Powered lumbar support for driver’s seat
- Leather-trimmed gear knob
- Soft-touch door trim
- Soft central armrest lid
- Vanity mirrors for driver, passenger
- Carpet flooring
- Side steps
- LED rear lights
- 18-inch alloy wheels
The LS-U+ gains:
- Leather-accented seats
- Black interior trim highlights
- Heated front seats
- Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Heated door mirrors
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Finally, the range-topping X-Terrain packs:
- Front parking sensors
- Leather-accented seats
- Heated front seats (new)
- Factory-fitted tow bar (new)
- Red and black interior accents (new)
- Remote engine start
- Eight-speaker sound system
- Unique exterior trim
- 18-inch black-finish alloy wheels
The 2022 D-Max range will be offered in eight colours. All except Mineral White come at a $500 premium.
- Mineral White
- Basalt Black mica
- Cobalt Blue mica
- Mercury Silver metallic
- Obsidian Grey metallic
- Marble White pearl (LS-U/X-Terrain)
- Magnetic Red mica (LS-U/X-Terrain)
- Volcanic Amber metallic (X-Terrain)