Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has released pricing and specifications for its heavily revised ‘T6.1’ generation Transporter line-up, ahead of first deliveries commencing in November.
Like the related California, Caravelle and Multivan models, the new Transporter gets revised looks inside and out, is available with a raft of new infotainment and driver assistance technologies, and comes with a huge range of options.
Transporter SWB Van
- SWB TDI250 5MT: $38,990
- SWB TD340 6MT: $41,990
- SWB TDI340 DSG: $44,990
- SWB TDI340 DSG 4Motion: $47,990
- SWB TDI450 DSG: $50,990
- SWB TDI450 DSG 4Motion: $53,990
Transporter LWB Van
- LWB TDI340 6MT: $44,990
- LWB TDI 340 DSG: $47,990
- LWB TDI340 DSG 4Motion: $50,990
- LWB TDI450 DSG: $53,990
- LWB TDI450 DSG 4Motion: $56,990
- SWB TDI340 DSG: $51,490
- SWB TDI340 DSG 4Motion: $54,490
- LWB TDI340 DSG: $54,490
- LWB TDI340 DSG 4Motion: $57,490
Transporter Chassis – with factory tray
- Single Cab LWB TDI450 DSG: $55,490
- Single Cab LWB TDI450 DSG 4Motion: $58,490
- Dual Cab LWB TDI450 DSG: $57,490
- Dual Cab LWB TDI450 DSG 4Motion: $60,490
All prices are before on-road costs. TDI340 4Motion models coming in Q1 2021
All Transporter models are powered by a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine in varying states of tune.
TDI250 models develop 81kW and 250Nm, and are exclusively mated to a five-speed manual.
TDI340 models develop 110kW and 340Nm and offer six-speed manual and seven-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic options, with the latter also available with 4Motion all-wheel drive.
Finally, the TDI450 develops 146kW and 450Nm and is solely available with a DSG, with the option of 4Motion all-wheel drive as well.
Volkswagen Australia hasn’t confirmed fuel consumption data for the updated Transporter range.
The current-generation Transporter hasn’t been tested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP.
However, the entire range gets autonomous emergency braking, driver fatigue detection, hill-start assist, multi-collision brake, stability and traction control, ABS with Brake Assist, as well as driver and front passenger front and front-side/head airbags.
All van models score a reversing camera, too, though the chassis models miss out.
Short-wheelbase van models measure 4904mm long, 1904mm wide and 1978mm tall, with a 3000mm wheelbase.
Internally, the short-wheelbase variants offer a maximum load length of 2575mm, max load height of 1410mm, and a max load width of 1700mm. There’s also 1244mm between the arches.
The long-wheelbase vans are 5304mm long, 1904mm wide, and 1976mm tall with a 3400mm wheelbase.
Inside, the long-wheelbase van offers a max load length of 2975mm, max load height of 1410mm, max load width of 1700mm, and there’s 1244mm between the arches.
Details like payload weights are still to be announced.
Despite the various body styles on offer, the Transporter line-up offers the following common standard equipment:
- ‘H7’ twin halogen headlights with daytime-running lights
- Auto headlights and rain-sensing wipers
- Steel wheels
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with height and reach adjustment
- ‘Double grid’ cloth seats in Titanium Black
- 6.5-inch Composition Colour radio system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- LED interior lighting
- Cruise control with speed limiter
- Manual air-conditioning
- Electric folding exterior mirrors
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Driver Fatigue Detection
- Hill-start assist
- Multi-Collision Brake
- Electronic stabilisation programme (ESP)
- Traction control (TCS)
- ABS with Brake Assist
- Driver and front passenger front and side/head airbags
- Reversing camera (not Cab Chassis)
There’s a catalogue of optional features too long to list, including a range of body modifications, roof heights, interior features, load area add-ons, driver assistance features, functional equipment, suspension upgrades, and seat conversions.
Servicing and Warranty
The Volkswagen Commercial range is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Service pricing for the 6.1 range is still to be confirmed, though the outgoing range offers three- and five-year service plans.
For three years of maintenance the Care Plan is priced at $1450, while the five-year option is $2300 including a free first service.