The ‘6.1’ generation Volkswagen van range has been detailed for Australia, with orders open now ahead of first deliveries arriving in November.
Here, we’re breaking down the pricing and specs of the people mover line-up – including the Caravelle and Multivan.
- Trendline TDI340 LWB DSG: $58,990
- Comfortline Premium TDI340 SWB DSG: $61,990
- Comfortline Premium TDI340 SWB DSG 4Motion: $64,990
- Comfortline Premium TDI340 LWB DSG: $64,990
- Comfortline Premium TDI340 LWB DSG 4Motion: $67,990
- Cruise Special Edition TDI340 SWB DSG: $73,990
- Highline TDI450 SWB DSG: $84,990
- Highline TDI450 SWB DSG 4Motion: $87,990
- Comfortline Exec TDI450 LWB DSG: $87,990
All prices exclude on-road costs
The Caravelle and Transporter range are powered exclusively by a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel in Australia, available in two states of tune at launch.
TDI340 models develop 110kW and 340Nm, while TDI450 models make 146kW and 450Nm.
All of the 6.1 passenger models drive through a seven-speed DSG dual-clutch auto, with 4Motion models benefitting from the added traction of all-wheel drive.
Volkswagen hasn’t quoted Australian fuel consumption figures for the 6.1 range as yet.
The T6.1 Caravelle and Multivan haven’t been tested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP, however both feature active safety assists such as autonomous emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring, cross wind assist, rear cross-traffic alert, and a reversing camera.
Caravelle Trendline gets:
- 16-inch ‘Clayton’ alloy wheels
- ‘H7’ halogen headlights with daytime-running lights
- Auto headlights and wipers
- Body colour bumpers
- Electric heated/folding mirrors
- Nine seats
- Carpeted floor
- LED interior lighting
- ‘Quadtratic’ cloth upholstery in Titanium Black
- Sun visors with vanity mirrors
- 6.5-inch ‘Composition Colour’ display
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- USB/AUX/SD, Bluetooth
- 2 x USB-C ports
- Four-speaker sound
- Climatronic three-zone climate control
- Sun blinds in passenger compartment
- Heat-insulating windows
- Electromechanical steering
- Driver fatigue detection
- Cross Wind Assist
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert
- Multi Collision Braking System
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Electric child locks
Multivan Comfortline Premium adds:
- 17-inch ‘Devonport’ alloy wheels
- ‘Circuit’ cloth upholstery in Titanium Black
- 8.0-inch ‘Discovery Media’ navigation system
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Six-speaker sound
- ISOFIX mounts in second row
Full details of the Highline and Executive models are still to be announced.
As is the case with commercial vehicles like the Caravelle and Multivan, there’s a huge amount of customisation options available.
Metallic paints ask for $1720 extra, while an electric tailgate is an additional $890.
Buyers can also deck out their Caravelles and Multivans with heated seats, Digital Cockpit driver’s instruments, LED headlights, Park Assist, Lane Assist, adaptive cruise control, and more depending on specification.
Servicing and Warranty
The Volkswagen Commercial range is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Service pricing for the 6.1 range is still to be confirmed, though the outgoing range offers three- and five-year service plans.
The three-year plan costs $1450 for all Caravelle and Multivan models, while the five-year plan is $2300 including a free first service. Maintenance, for reference, is required every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first.