The 2021 Toyota RAV4 is available in 11 different variants, with pricing ranging from $32,695 before on-road costs for the GX 2WD manual to $48,915 before on-roads for the 2.5-litre Edge AWD.
Australia’s best-selling SUV enters 2021 unchanged in terms of pricing and specification following a minor update last August that added numerous features to the base GX.
The Toyota RAV4 continues to offer a choice of three powertrains, one of which is a hybrid. The hybrid is available with either front- or all-wheel drive, though it isn’t available in top-spec Edge trim.
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 GX manual: $32,695
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 GX CVT: $34,695
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 GX Hybrid: $37,070
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 GXL CVT: $37,415
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 GXL Hybrid: $39,915
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 GX AWD Hybrid: $40,070
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Cruiser CVT: $40,915
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 GXL AWD Hybrid: $42,915
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid: $43,415
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Cruiser AWD Hybrid: $46,415
- 2021 Toyota RAV4 Edge AWD: $48,915
All prices exclude on-road costs
The 2021 Toyota RAV4 range has two petrol options: a 2.0-litre four-cylinder producing 127kW of power and 203Nm of torque, and a 2.5-litre four-cylinder with 152kW and 243Nm.
The 2.0-litre is available with a six-speed manual or continuously variable transmission (CVT) while the 2.5-litre is only fitted with an eight-speed automatic.
There are two hybrid variants: a front-wheel drive model with a total power output of 160kW, and an all-wheel drive (AWD) version with 163kW.
Both hybrid models use a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine in conjunction with their electric motors.
The hybrid all-wheel drive system features an electric motor on the rear axle, essentially allowing for on-demand traction down back without hindering fuel economy.
The 2021 Toyota RAV4 2.0-litre manual uses 6.8L/100km on the ADR combined city and highway cycle, while the CVT is rated at 6.5L/100km.
Fuel economy in the front-drive RAV4 Hybrid is just 4.7L/100km on the combined cycle, while the all-wheel drive hybrid drinks at a rate of 4.8L/100km.
The 2.5-litre Edge consumes 7.5L/100km.
All models run on 91RON regular unleaded fuel and have a 55L fuel tank.
The 2021 Toyota RAV4 measures 4615mm long, 1690mm tall and 1865mm wide, with a 2690mm wheelbase.
The kerb weight of the 2.0-litre petrol RAV4 ranges from 1515kg for the base manual to 1620kg for the Cruiser CVT.
The 2.5-litre model tips the scales at 1705kg, while the base front-wheel drive hybrid is 1650kg and the base AWD hybrid is 1705kg. The heaviest model is the Cruiser AWD Hybrid at 1745kg.
The Toyota RAV4’s boot space measures 580L with the rear seats up and with a space-saver spare. A full-size spare is optional only in GX models with an automatic transmission.
Towing capacity varies. Braked towing capacity is 480kg in 2WD hybrid models, 800kg in 2.0-litre models, and 1500kg in AWD hybrid and 2.5-litre models.
Unbraked towing capacity is 750kg in all bar the 2WD hybrid models, where it’s 490kg.
The 2021 Toyota RAV4 is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
It requires servicing every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first. The first four services cost $215 each.
The 2021 Toyota RAV4 has an ANCAP rating of five stars based on testing conducted in 2019, with scores of 93 per cent in adult occupant protection, 89 per cent in child occupant protection, 85 per cent in vulnerable road user protection, and 83 per cent in safety assist.
The following safety features are standard across the range:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and daytime cyclist detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Reversing camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Lane-departure warning
- Lane-tracing assist (excludes manual GX)
- Adaptive cruise control (high speed-only on manual GX)
- Traffic sign recognition
- Front, front-side and curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Trailer sway control
The RAV4 GX comes with the following standard features:
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and satellite navigation
- 4.2-inch multi-information display
- DAB digital radio
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Heated, power-folding exterior mirrors
- 60/40 split-fold rear seats and centre arm rest
- Dual-zone climate control (hybrid only)
- LED headlights (parabolic, auto-levelling in petrol; projector in hybrid)
- Automatic high-beam
- Automatic headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Five USB ports
- Leatherette-wrapped steering wheel
- Front/rear carpet mats
- Space saver spare tyre
- Rear mudflaps
- Dual exhaust outlets
- Electronic parking brake
Moving to the RAV4 GXL brings:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- ‘Premium’ grille and bumper combo
- Privacy glass
- Leatherette-wrapped shifter
- Self-dimming rear-view mirror
- Dual-zone climate control
- Keyless entry and start
- Wireless phone charging
- Reversing camera with active guide lines
- Front mudflaps
- Roof rails
- Dual oval exhaust outlets
The RAV4 Cruiser adds:
- 19-inch alloy wheels (18-inch gloss-black wheels in hybrid models)
- Auto power-folding mirrors
- Power sunroof
- Power tailgate
- 10-way power driver’s seat
- Ambient lighting
- 7.0-inch multi-information display
- Nine-speaker JBL sound system
- Surround-view camera
- Heated front seats
- Leather upholstery
The range-topping RAV4 Edge gains:
- Unique bumper, grille and wheel arch protector designs
- Off-road mode selector dial
- Hill-descent control
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Softex leatherette upholstery
A panoramic sunroof is optional on the Edge.