The 2021 Genesis G80 launches next month, priced from $84,900 before on-road costs.
Our launch review of the Genesis G80 goes live later this month. In the meantime, we’ve pulled forward pricing and spec information.
The second generation of Genesis’ largest sedan offered locally – the larger G90 is off-limits to us – will offer a choice of just two variants here with two new engines.
The 2.5T is powered by a turbocharged 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine producing 224kW of power and 422Nm of torque, mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Above it sits the 3.5T, which is powered by a twin-turbocharged 3.5-litre V6 engine producing 279kW of power and 530Nm of torque. It’s priced at $99,900 before on-roads.
The 2.5T is available only with rear-wheel drive while the 3.5T is exclusively all-wheel drive, though both engines are available with both drive types in overseas markets.
Also off-limits to us, at least for now, is the 2.2-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine sold in South Korea.
Both 2021 G80 models benefit from local suspension tuning, with the 3.5T adding adaptive suspension with brand-first road preview technology.
This uses the front windscreen-mounted camera to scan for speed bumps and potholes, adjusting the suspension accordingly.
In addition to its adaptive suspension and bigger engine, the 3.5T also features 20-inch alloy wheels in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (up from 19-inches and Pilot Sport 4 tyres), plus bigger brakes.
The 2.5T uses 345mm ventilated discs up front and 325mm solid discs at the rear, plus single piston brake calipers. The 3.5T, in contrast, features 360mm and 345mm discs (ventilated all-round) and four-piston Monobloc calipers.
While the price is up considerably from last year’s G80 range, which started at $68,900, even the base 2.5T expands on last year’s Ultimate trim that was priced at $88,900 list.
Standard equipment on all 2021 G80 models includes leather and real wood trim, a 14.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and satellite navigation, a panoramic sunroof, head-up display, and heated and ventilated front seats.
The satellite navigation also features an augmented reality view, which uses a combination of surround-view camera footage, map data, and object recognition from the windscreen camera and front radar.
There’s the wide array of active safety technology expected of a large luxury sedan, including forward-collision avoidance assist with pedestrian and cyclist detection, evasive steering assist, junction turning and junction crossing functions, and lane-change oncoming and side functions.
A $13,000 luxury package, available on both variants, adds LED matrix headlights, quilted Nappa leather upholstery, suede headlining, Remote Smart Parking Assist, and other niceties like heated, ventilated and power-adjustable outboard rear seats.
It also adds a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster that features stereoscopic 3D technology, using a cluster-mounted camera to detect the driver’s eyes. Also displayed in the cluster is the blind-spot camera when changing lanes.
A full breakdown of equipment is viewable below.
Eleven exterior colours are available, two of which are matte finishes that cost an extra $2000.
There are five interior colourways available, four of which are two-tone; black is the only single-tone scheme. There are also two open-pore real wood trims available.
Those ranges open at $95,900 and $96,900 before on-roads, respectively, with the 520i and E200 using considerably less powerful 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engines.
- 2021 Genesis G80 2.5T: $84,900
- 2021 Genesis G80 3.5T AWD: $99,900
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2021 Genesis G80 2.5T is powered by a turbocharged 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine producing 224kW of power and 422Nm of torque, mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. It’s rear-wheel drive.
The G80 3.5T uses a twin-turbocharged 3.5-litre V6 engine producing 279kW of power and 530Nm of torque, mated to an eight-speed automatic and all-wheel drive.
The 2021 Genesis G80 consumes 8.6L/100km in the 2.5T and 10.7L/100km in the 3.5T. Both models require 95RON premium unleaded fuel.
The 2.5T has a 65L fuel tank and the 3.5T a 73L tank.
The 2021 Genesis G80 measures 4995mm long, 1925mm wide and 1465mm tall, with a 3010mm wheelbase.
It has 424L of luggage space with a space-saver spare underneath.
The 2021 Genesis G80 has yet to be tested by ANCAP.
All models come standard with the following safety features:
- 10 airbags, including a front centre side airbag
- Active bonnet
- Autonomous emergency braking and forward-collision avoidance assist with pedestrian and cyclist detection, evasive steering assist, junction turning and junction crossing functions, and lane-change oncoming and side functions
- Blind-spot monitoring and side/rear collision avoidance assist
- Driver-attention warning
- Lane-keeping assist
- Lane-following assist
- Rear cross-traffic collision avoidance assist
- Rear occupant alert
- Safe exit warning
Models equipped with the luxury package add reverse parking collision avoidance assist.
The 2.5T comes standard with:
- 14.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, DAB+ digital radio and satellite navigation
- Leather upholstery
- Real wood trim
- 19-inch alloy wheels in Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres
- Power hands-free boot lid
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go
- Surround-view camera
- 12-inch head-up display
- 12-way power front seats with driver’s memory and four-way lumbar
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Power tilt-and-telescoping steering column
- Remote start
- Proximity entry with push-button start
- Wireless phone charging
- Dual-zone climate control with rear-seat temperature controls
- 21-speaker, 1050W Lexicon by Harman premium sound system
The 3.5T adds:
- Adaptive suspension
- 20-inch alloy wheels in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres
The $13,000 Luxury Package adds:
- Intelligent Front Lighting System with matrix LED headlights
- Soft-close doors
- Quilted Nappa leather upholstery
- Suede headliner and pillars
- Tri-zone climate control
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Smart and Remote Smart Parking Assist
- 18-way power driver’s seat with massaging
- Heated, ventilated and power-adjustable outboard rear seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Power rear sunshade
- Rear-seat entertainment system with dual 9.2-inch touchscreens
Genesis offers perhaps the most generous after-sales package in the luxury car market. There’s five years or 50,000km of free scheduled servicing, a five-year unlimited kilometre warranty, five years of 24/7 roadside assistance.
Genesis also includes a concierge service where it will pick up your G80 for scheduled servicing and leave you with a Genesis courtesy vehicle.