The 2020 Mazda CX-5 is available in 14 variants with pricing ranging from $29,770 before on-road costs for the manual front-drive Maxx to $49,670 before on-roads for the diesel AWD Akera.
Available since early 2017, the second-generation CX-5 is the second-most popular medium SUV in Australia.
Accounting for 14.9 per cent of sales in its segment, the CX-5 sits behind only the Toyota RAV4 (22.0 per cent).
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.0L petrol manual FWD: $30,980
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.0L petrol FWD: $32,980
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.5L petrol AWD: $35,980
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.0L petrol FWD: $36,290
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.5L petrol AWD: $39,290
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Touring 2.5L petrol AWD: $40,980
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.2L diesel AWD: $42,290
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Touring 2.2L diesel AWD: $43,980
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT 2.5L petrol AWD: $46,090
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 Akera 2.5L petrol AWD: $48,330
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT 2.5T petrol AWD: $48,590
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT 2.2L diesel AWD: $49,090
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT 2.5T petrol AWD: $50,830
- 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT 2.2L diesel AWD: $51,330
All prices exclude on-road costs
At the end of the day, the price you pay at the dealership will be dependent on a number of factors such as when you want to buy (is the dealership chasing sales?), the age of the model you’re purchasing (is a new generation model being launched soon) and of course your strength as a negotiator.
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 Maxx and Maxx Sport are available with a 2.0–litre four–cylinder engine with 115kW and 220Nm. It can be paired with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic.
A 2.5-litre four-cylinder with 140kW and 252Nm with a six-speed automatic is an option on the Maxx and Maxx Sport, and standard on the Touring, GT and Akera.
The 170kW/420Nm 2.5-litre turbocharged four–cylinder petrol engine is an option on the highly-specified GT and Akera grades.
All trim lines except the base CX-5 Maxx can be fitted with a 140kW/450Nm 2.2-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel.
CX-5 models fitted with the 2.0-litre petrol engine are front-wheel drive as standard, all other variants are all-wheel drive.
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 with front-wheel drive uses 6.9L/100km on the combined cycle when fitted with either transmission.
The naturally-aspirated 2.5-litre petrol CX-5 drinks 7.4L/100km, while the turbocharged 2.5-litre is rated at 8.2L/100km.
The most economical model in the CX-5 range is the 2.2-litre diesel, which drinks 5.7L/100km.
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 measures 4550mm long, 1675mm or 1680mm tall and 1840mm wide, with a 2700mm wheelbase.
Weights for the Mazda CX-5 start at 1316kg for the 2.0-litre manual and top out at 1756kg for the range-topping Akera turbo-diesel.
The Mazda CX-5’s boot has a luggage capacity of 442L with the rear seats up and 1342L when they’re folded down.
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 has an ANCAP safety rating of five stars, with scores of 95 per cent in adult occupant protection, 80 per cent in child occupant protection, 78 per cent in vulnerable road user protection, and 59 per cent in safety assist.
All 2020 CX-5s come standard with autonomous emergency braking and night-time pedestrian detection, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, lane-keeping assist, rear parking sensors, and adaptive cruise control.
Higher-end models have front parking sensors, and traffic sign recognition.
The Mazda CX-5 Maxx comes with the following standard features:
- 17-inch steel wheels with 225/65 tyres
- Automatic LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Electric mirrors with power folding
- Reclining rear seats with 40/20/40 split back rest
- Leather steering wheel and gear knob
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 6-speaker sound system
- Push-button start
- Rear parking sensors
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Automatic high beam
- Lane keeping assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- Electric parking brake
Moving up to the Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport you gain:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- LED front fog lights
- Dual-zone climate control
- Self-dimming rear view mirror
- Satellite navigation
- Rear centre arm rest with USB ports
The Mazda CX-5 Touring adds:
- Heated wing mirrors with auto-folding
- Head-up display
- Faux leather and suede seats
- Keyless entry
- Front parking sensors
- Traffic sign recognition
Move up to the Mazda CX-5 GT and you also enjoy:
- 19-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Adaptive headlights
- Power tilt-slide sunroof
- Powered tailgate
- Leather seats (black or white)
- 10-speaker Bose audio system
- 10-way electric driver’s seat with memory, heating
- Six-way electric front passenger’s seat
The range-topping Mazda CX-5 Akera gains:
- 19-inch dark alloy wheels
- Surround view camera system
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated rear seats (outboard only)
- Heated steering wheel
- Interior ambient lighting
- 7.0-inch multi-information display
- Dark russet Nappa leather seats
- Black headliner
- Frameless rear view mirror
The 2020 Mazda CX-5’s base services are priced between $324 and $386, with 12-month or 10,000km intervals for the first five years.