The 2020 Kia Picanto is available in three different trim levels, with prices ranging from $14,190 before on-road costs for the base S manual to $17,990 before on-road costs for the GT. Kia regularly does drive-away offers, however.
The current Picanto is the second generation of the nameplate, though it’s the first generation sold here. It’s quickly come to dominate the micro car segment, last year holding just over 80 per cent market share in the segment.
- 2020 Kia Picanto S manual: $14,190 ($15,990 drive-away)
- 2020 Kia Picanto S auto: $15,790 ($16,990 drive-away)
- 2020 Kia Picanto GT-Line manual: $15,690 ($17,490 drive-away)
- 2020 Kia Picanto GT-Line auto: $17,290 ($18,490 drive-away)
- 2020 Kia Picanto X-Line manual: $16,190 ($17,990 drive-away)
- 2020 Kia Picanto X-Line auto: $17,790 ($18,990 drive-away)
- 2020 Kia Picanto GT: $17,990 ($18,990 drive-away)
If you are looking for a more accurate idea of pricing, you can build and price one of these up on the official website to determine drive away pricing. It’s also worth keeping an eye on the Kia offers page to see if there are any deals on at the moment.
The 2020 Kia Picanto range comes with a choice of two engines.
S, GT-Line and X-Line models have a naturally-aspirated 1.4-litre four-cylinder engine with 62kW and 122Nm, mated to either a four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmission.
The range-topping Picanto GT has a turbocharged 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine with 74kW and 172Nm. It’s mated exclusively to a five-speed manual transmission.
The 2020 Kia Picanto sips 5.0L/100km on the ADR combined city and highway cycle when equipped with the five-speed manual transmission.
Automatic models use slightly more fuel at 5.8L/100km, while the GT manual is narrowly the thriftiest Picanto with a combined rating of 4.8L/100km.
The 2020 Kia Picanto is the littlest Kia and one of the smallest cars on the market, measuring 3595mm long, 1485mm tall and 1595mm wide.
X-Line models are fractionally larger at 3670mm, 1500mm and 1625mm, respectively.
The Kia Picanto’s total luggage space is 255L or 1010L with the rear seats folded.
You can view the official specifications page to get a visual idea of dimensions
When the Kia Picanto was tested by ANCAP in 2017, it received a rating of four stars.
That rating was based on an adult occupant protection score of 87 per cent, child occupant protection of 64 per cent, pedestrian protection of 54 per cent and safety assist of 47 per cent.
All 2020 Kia Picanto models come standard with autonomous emergency braking with forward-collision warning, anti-lock brakes, and front, front-side and curtain airbags.
You can find more details and highlights on all the safety features on the official Kia Picanto page.
The base model Picanto S comes with the following standard features:
- Reversing camera and rear parking sensors
- 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Cruise control
- Power windows
Next up the rung is the Picanto GT-Line, which adds the following:
- GT-Line exterior package with contrasting body accents, dual exhaust tips and body kit
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Electric folding mirrors with indicators
- LED daytime running lights, while inside
- Alloy sports pedals
- Premium seats with red accents
- Leatherette-wrapped shifter and steering wheel.
The Picanto X-Line is similarly equipped, though it swaps out the GT-Line’s body kit for a more SUV-style one with black body cladding, chunkier wheels, and a slightly taller ride height.
The range-topping GT adds the following features:
- Turbocharged 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine
- Sports-tuned suspension and steering
- GT exterior package with contrasting body accents, dual exhaust tips and body kit
- Contrasting body accents
- Dual exhaust tips
All 2020 Kia Picanto models require servicing every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first, except for the Picanto GT which requires servicing every 12 months or 10,000km.
Kia offers seven years of capped-price servicing. The GT has an average service cost of $423, while all other Picantos have an average cost of $389.