A new base model Hyundai Ioniq 6 has slashed the cost of entry to the electric sedan range by $8500, making it eligible for various state EV incentives.
The revised Ioniq 6 range can be ordered this month, with deliveries commencing in the first quarter of 2024. The range now opens at $65,500 before on-road costs.
The new base trim, simply called the Ioniq 6, features a 53kWh Standard Range battery, with a claimed 429km of range under the WLTP cycle.
That’s less than the 614km offered with the carryover 77.4kWh Extended Range battery, which is optional with this base trim.
The entry-level Ioniq 6 foregoes some of the Dynamiq’s niceties, such as its leather upholstery, projector LED headlights, head-up display and Bose sound system, but still offers the full complement of active safety and driver assist equipment.
Hyundai has yet to release any images of this new trim for the Australian market.
The brand has doubled the number of Ioniq 6 variants in Australia, and now offers the Dynamiq and Epiq trims with a choice of single-motor rear-wheel drive or dual-motor all-wheel drive powertrains.
All Ioniq 6 models now come standard with a heat pump and battery pre-conditioning as standard.
The heat pump draws on waste heat from other systems to warm the cabin, saving energy and thereby extending range, while the battery conditioning system allows you to pre-heat the battery to ensure optimal DC charging performance.
The Dynamiq gains 20-inch alloy wheels as standard, while the Epiq’s digital side mirrors are now a $3000 option instead of being standard fitment. Hyundai says the latter change was based on customer feedback, and the Epiq AWD is now $1788 cheaper.
The Vehicle to Load (V2L) outside adapter is now an optional accessory, but the inside adapter remains standard across the range.
- 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Standard Range RWD: $65,500 (NEW)
- 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Extended Range RWD: $71,500 (NEW)
- 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Dynamiq Extended Range RWD: $77,500 (+$3500)
- 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Epiq Extended Range RWD: $81,000 (NEW)
- 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Dynamiq Extended Range AWD: $82,000 (NEW)
- 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Epiq Extended Range AWD: $85,500 (-$1788)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
For 2024, there’s a choice of three different powertrains and two different batteries.
The base Hyundai Ioniq 6 features a single-motor rear-wheel drive powertrain with 111kW of power and 350Nm of torque when equipped with the Standard Range 53kWh battery.
Ioniq 6, Dynamiq and Epiq models with rear-wheel drive and the 77.4kWh battery have a more powerful 168kW/350Nm electric motor.
The Dynamiq and Epiq are also offered with a dual-motor all-wheel drive powertrain with 239kW and 605Nm.
Range is as follows:
- Ioniq 6 Standard Range: 429km
- Ioniq 6 Extended Range (with 18-inch wheels): 614km
- Ioniq 6 Extended Range (with 20-inch wheels): 545km
- Ioniq 6 Extended Range AWD (with 20-inch wheels): 519km
All models can be charged at up to 350kW using a DC charger, and will take 18 minutes to charge from 10 to 80 per cent.
With a 7kW AC charger, the Standard Range battery can go from 10 to 100 per cent in approximately 8hr 55min, while the Extended Range battery will take 11hr 45min.
The Hyundai Ioniq 6 measures 4855mm long, 1880mm wide and 1495mm tall on a 2950mm wheelbase.
The Ioniq 6 has 401L of boot space with underfloor storage, plus a 45L storage cavity under the bonnet. The latter shrinks to 14.5L in all-wheel drive models.
The Hyundai Ioniq 6 is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre vehicle warranty plus an eight-year, 160,000km high-voltage battery warranty.
Servicing is required every 24 months or 30,000km, whichever comes first. The first two services are capped at $560 respectively for all models.
The Hyundai Ioniq 6 has a five-star ANCAP rating, based on testing conducted in 2022.
It received an adult occupant protection rating of 97 per cent, a child occupant protection rating of 88 per cent, a vulnerable road user protection rating of 66 per cent, and a safety assist rating of 90 per cent.
All Ioniq 6 models come standard with the following safety equipment:
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Pedestrian, cyclist and car detection
- Junction assist
- Lane change oncoming and side function
- Evasive steering assist
- Direct oncoming function
- Blind-Spot View Monitor
- Blind-spot assist
- Driver attention warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane Following Assist (lane centring)
- Leading vehicle departure alert
- Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist (forward, side, reverse)
- Safe exit assist
- Surround-view camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
All models also feature the Bluelink suite of connected car services, which includes safety, security and convenience features such as:
- Automatic collision notification
- Emergency call (SOS) function
- Valet mode
- Voice control
- Calendar integration
- Remote functions
- Over-the-air updates
- Remote surround-view camera
The base Ioniq 6 comes standard with the following equipment:
- Heat pump
- Battery pre-conditioning
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Electronic park brake with auto hold
- Selectable drive modes (Eco, Normal, Sport, Snow)
- One-pedal drive mode
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 eco tyres
- Tyre mobility kit
- Automatic LED headlights
- Acoustic laminated windscreen and side door glass
- Solar control windscreen and front door glass
- Heated, power-folding exterior mirrors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Cloth upholstery
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Cloth knit headliner
- Power boot-lid
- Power windows with auto up/down for all four windows
- 10-way power driver’s seat with two-way lumbar support
- 60:40 split/fold rear seat
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Six-speaker sound system
- Wireless phone charger
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- 1 x USB-A outlet (front, for smartphone mirroring)
- 1 x front USB-C outlet, two rear USB-C outlets
- Adjustable ambient lighting
- Dual-zone climate control
- Proximity entry with push-button start
- Remote start
- Smart Parking Assist
- Remote Smart Parking Assist
- Vehicle to Load (V2L) function – interior
The Dynamiq adds:
- ‘Eco-processed’ leather upholstery
- Heated front seats
- 10-way power passenger seat with two-way lumbar
- Head-up display
- Eight-speaker Bose sound system
- Steering wheel interactive pixel ligthing
- Alloy pedals
- Rear privacy glass
- 20-inch alloy wheels in 245/40 Pirelli P Zero tyres
- Intelligent Front Lighting System (IFS) with projector LED headlights
The Epiq adds:
- Front ‘relaxation’ seats
- Driver’s seat memory
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated rear seats
- Heated steering wheel
Digital side-view mirrors are a $3000 option, exclusive to the Epiq.
Matte paint is a $1000 option, and is available only on the Dynamiq and Epiq.