The 2023 Peugeot 508 GT Sportswagon Plug-in Hybrid has arrived Down Under, priced from $82,915 before on-road costs.
On sale now, the 508 SW PHEV joins the existing 508 Fastback PHEV, commanding a $1305 premium. Compared to the non-hybrid 508 GT Sportswagon, the PHEV is about $17,000 dearer – ouch.
It’s also worth noting Peugeot Australia is launching the pre-facelift 508 SW PHEV as a new 2023 model, despite a facelifted version being revealed nearly six months ago – it’s currently unconfirmed for the local market.
“Following the global reveal of the next iteration of 508, anticipated launch details for the Australian market will be confirmed in due course,” said a spokesperson for Peugeot Australia.
Beyond the larger 530L-1780L luggage area (versus 487L-1537L for the Fastback), the Sportswagon effectively mirrors its sibling’s specification.
Power in the 2023 Peugeot 508 Sportswagon Plug-in Hybrid comes from a 133kW/300Nm 1.6-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine teamed with an 81kW/320Nm electric motor and 11.8kWh lithium battery.
Drive is sent to the front axle via an eight-speed automatic transmission.
System outputs are quoted at 165kW and 360Nm, with WLTP-certified electric range listed at 55km. Combined fuel consumption, meanwhile, is rated at 1.5L per 100km with CO2 emissions of 34.2g/100km.
As for charging, the 508 SW PHEV features a 3.7kW onboard charging system, which allows the battery pack to be replenished from 0-100 per cent in as little as 3.5 hours at maximum charge capacity.
Like the Fastback, the Sportswagon offers several drivetrain modes to tailor the electrified drive system to the driver’s tastes or the driving conditions.
- Electric Mode: When sufficiently charged, this is the default mode for Peugeot plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
- Hybrid Mode: Hybrid mode allows the driver to utilise the most efficient combination of electric or internal combustion engine depending on driving style and the type of road during the journey.
- Sport Mode: This takes full advantage of maximum engine torque. Sport mode allows the driver to combine the power of both engines to enjoy a dynamic driving experience with firmer suspension and firmer electric power steering.
- Comfort Mode: Comfort mode combines all the benefits of Hybrid mode with the additional comfort of electronically controlled active suspension.
Prepaid service packages are available too, priced at $1200 for three years, or $2100 for five. Intervals are listed at 20,000 kilometres or 12 months – whichever comes first.
Comfort and convenience
- 4 drive modes: Comfort, Electric, Hybrid and Sport
- Parking sensors front, rear
- 180-degree reversing camera with top-down view
- Configurable 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Wireless phone charging
- 4 x USB sockets (2 x front, 2 x rear)
- Multi-function leather steering wheel
- “Aikinite” copper stitching
- GT badging
- Multi-function trip computer
- External temperature gauge
- Front central console with 2 cupholders
- Rear armrest incl. ski flap, two cupholders
- Nappa leather seat trim with ‘Aikinite’ copper top-stitch
- Heated front seats with multi-point massage function
- Electric 8-way driver’s seat incl. memory (two positions)
- Electric 8-way front passenger seat
- Semi-automatic parking assist
- Keyless entry
- Electric parking brake
- Remote central locking
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning with allergen, dust and pollen filter
- Rear centre console ventilation system
- Fixing rings (x4) in load area
- myPEUGEOT app (downloadable from app store)
- 10-inch HD capacitive central touchscreen
- 3D Satellite Navigation
- Bluetooth connectivity
- FM/DAB radio
- Focal premium 10-speaker sound system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Voice recognition
Unique electric vehicle features
- Mode 2 cable for vehicle battery charging with storage bag
- Exclusive ‘Hybrid’ badging on the rear
Metallic paint: $690
- Nera Black
- Artense Grey
- Platinum Grey
Premium paint: $1050
- Elixir Red
- Pearl White
- 1.6L Turbocharged PureTech Petrol
- Cubic capacity: 1598 (cc)
- Cylinders: 4
- Max power: 133kW @ 6000rpm
- Max torque: 300Nm @ 3000rpm
BATTERY & ELECTRIC MOTOR
- Lithium-ion battery
- Capacity: 11.8kWh
- Max power: 81kW
- Max torque: 320Nm
- Electric WLTP test range: 55km
- Max power: 165kW
- Max torque: 360Nm
- Onboard Charger: 3.7kW
- Single Phase 32A Wallbox (7.4kW) 0-100%: approx 3.5 hours
- Three Phase 16A Wallbox (11kW) 0-100%: approx 3.5 hours
- Domestic 10A Electric Plug (2.3kW) 0-100%: approx 5.7 hours
- Electronic 8-speed Efficient Automatic Transmission (eEAT8)
CONSUMPTION AND EMISSIONS
- Combined Cycle: 1.5L/100km
- CO2 Emissions: 34.2 (g/km)
- Fuel Tank: 43 L
WHEELS & TYRES
- Wheel size and tyre: 18″ – 235/45 R18
- Tyre repair kit
EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS (mm)
- Length: 4750
- Width (mirrors open): 2079
- Width (mirrors closed): 1907
- Height: 1410
- Wheelbase: 2800
BOOT VOLUME (LITRES)
- With rear seats in place: 530L
- To roof height with rear seats folded: 1,780L
- Maximum towing weight – braked trailer: 1340
- Maximum towing weight – unbraked trailer: 745
MORE: Everything Peugeot 508