The new Mercedes-AMG C43 has ditched its twin-turbocharged six-cylinder for a smaller (more powerful) turbo four-cylinder, and its price has gone up.
Deliveries of the new C43 are expected to begin in mid-February.
It’s priced from $134,900 before on-road costs, or just over $20,000 more than the outgoing V6 model.
In the C43 and C63, the brand’s M139 four-cylinder petrol engine has been mounted longitudinally rather than transversely as in smaller AMG models.
In its default setting, the all-wheel drive system sends 69 per cent of the engine’s torque to the rear axle for a more natural rear-wheel drive feeling.
The C43 features rear-wheel steering as standard. The system turns the rear wheels in the opposite direction to the fronts to tighten the turning circle and sharpen up turn-in, and steers them in the same direction at higher speeds to make the car feel more stable.
Adaptive dampers are also standard, with three modes ranging from Comfort to Sport Plus.
- 2023 Mercedes-AMG C43: $134,900
Price excludes on-road costs.
The 2023 Mercedes-AMG C43 uses a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine producing 300kW of power at 6750rpm and 500Nm of torque at 5000rpm.
It features a 48V mild-hybrid system with a belt-driven starter generator (RSG), which can provide an additional boost of 10kW.
The engine is mated with a nine-speed automatic transmission, with a wet start-off clutch instead of a torque converter, and an all-whee drive system. Mercedes-AMG says torque distribution is split 31/69 on the front and rear axles.
Mercedes-AMG claims a 0-100km/h time of 4.6 seconds.
The 2023 Mercedes-AMG C43 uses 9.1L/100km on the ADR combined cycle and has a 66L fuel tank.
The 2023 Mercedes-AMG C43 measures 4791mm long, 1824mm wide and 1450mm tall on a 2865mm wheelbase.
It has 455L of luggage space.
Kerb weight is 1858kg.
The Mercedes-AMG C43 is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Mercedes offers three-, four- and five-year servicing plans for the regular C-Class and service intervals are 12 months or 25,000km – whichever comes first.
However, servicing prices for the C43 have yet to be confirmed.
Although AMG models are unlikely to ever be tested directly, the standard Mercedes-Benz C-Class wears a five-star ANCAP safety rating with a 2022 date stamp, based on tests conducted by Euro NCAP.
Category scores for the crash assessment included 91 per cent for adult occupant protection, 90 per cent for child occupant protection, 80 per cent for vulnerable road users and 82 per cent for safety assist.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- 10 airbags incl. front-centre airbag
- AEB with pedestrian/cyclist detection, junction assist
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Blind-spot monitoring with exit warning function
- Driver attention monitoring
- Evasive steering assist
- Lane-keep assist (steering assist)
- Surround-view cameras
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Semi-autonomous parking assist
- Active bonnet
- Speed limit assist
The C43 AMG comes standard with the following features:
- Mercedes-AMG interior package
- AMG seats in Artico leatherette and Microcut suede
- Silver-coloured aluminium gearshift paddles
- Artico leatherette dashboard, beltline upholstery
- AMG sport pedals
- AMG floor mats
- Illuminated door sills with AMG lettering
- AMG rotary steering wheel controls
- Power-adjustable front seats with memory
- Heated front seats
- Head-up Display
- Augmented reality for navigation
- Burmester® 3D surround sound system
- AMG Exterior Night package
- Mercedes-AMG exterior package
- Quad rounded exhaust tips
- 20-inch AMG light-alloy wheels
- Panoramic sunroof
- AMG Performance Sound
- Urban Guard vehicle protection Plus
- Adaptive suspension
- Rear-axle steering
That’s over and above features found in the C300, which includes:
- LED headlights with adaptive high-beam
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Active Parking Assist
- 11.9-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- DAB+ digital radio
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Ambient lighting
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Dual-zone climate control
- Keyless entry and start
- Leather upholstery
- Power boot-lid
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear privacy glass
- Wireless phone charger
The optional Performance Ergonomic Package ($3636) adds:
- AMG Performance steering wheel in Nappa leather and microfibre
- AMG Track Pace
- AMG Performance Front Seats (same as C63), red contrast stitching.
The Digital Light Package ($1678) adds Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus.
The C43 is available in the following colours at no cost:
- Polar White
- Graphite Grey Metallic
- High-tech silver Metallic
- Mojave silver Metallic
- Obsidian black Metallic
- Selentite grey Metallic
- Sodalite blue Metallic
- Spectral blue Metallic
Optional colours include:
- Patagonia Red Bright Metallic: $1048
- Opalite White Bright Metallic: $1048
A black leather interior is standard (including red stitching with the Performance Ergonomic Package), with the following interior colourways a no-cost option:
- Sienna Brown and black leather
- Power Red and black leather