GWM has been busily expanding the Haval Jolion line-up since its launch in 2021, with the latest addition being a more affordable hybrid option.
The Lux Hybrid, priced at $36,990 drive-away, undercuts the flagship Ultra Hybrid by $3000. First shipments are beginning to arrive and order books are open, with vehicles arriving in showrooms in “the coming weeks”.
It follows the S, announced late last year and also priced at $36,990 drive-away. Instead of a hybrid powertrain, the S has a more powerful version of the standard turbocharged 1.5-litre four, plus sporty styling cues and multi-link independent rear suspension.
Sales of the Jolion have continued to grow, with 8217 examples delivered last year. That saw it outsell stalwart small SUVs like the Honda HR-V (4717 sales), Jeep Compass (1862), Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross (5973) and Suzuki Vitara (3114).
It also came extremely close to overtaking the Kia Seltos (8504 sales).
- 2023 GWM Haval Jolion Premium: $28,490
- 2023 GWM Haval Jolion Lux: $30,990
- 2023 GWM Haval Jolion Ultra: $33,990
- 2023 GWM Haval Jolion S: $36,990
- 2023 GWM Haval Jolion Lux Hybrid: $36,990
- 2023 GWM Haval Jolion Ultra Hybrid: $40,990
All prices are drive-away.
The Haval Jolion Premium, Lux and Ultra use a turbocharged 1.5-litre four-cylinder engine producing 110kW of power and 220Nm of torque, mated with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
The S upgrades to a turbo 1.5-litre with 130kW and 270Nm, also mated with a seven-speed dual-clutch auto.
The Lux Hybrid and Ultra Hybrid use a hybrid powertrain, mating a 110kW/250Nm electric motor with a 70kW/125Nm 1.5-litre four-cylinder engine for total outputs of 139kW and 375Nm. It uses what the brand calls a Dedicated Hybrid Transmission, which comprises the electric motor and gearbox.
All Jolion models are front-wheel drive.
The 2023 Haval Jolion uses 8.1L/100km on the combined cycle with the standard 1.5-litre turbo, 5.0L/100km with the hybrid, and 7.5L/100km with the S’s more powerful engine.
All models have a 55L fuel tank.
The GWM Haval Jolion measures 4472mm long, 1841mm wide and 1574mm tall, with a 2700mm wheelbase.
Luggage space measures 430L in petrol models and 390L in the hybrids, expanding to 1133L and 1069L respectively with the rear seats folded.
All models have a space-saver spare wheel bar the hybrids.
Braked towing capacity is 1500kg across the range.
The GWM Haval Jolion is backed by a seven-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Servicing is required every 12 months or 15,000km.
In petrol Jolions, the first five services are capped at $210, $250, $350, $450 and $290, or $1550 in total over five years.
In hybrid models, the first five services are capped at $225, $250, $400, $550 and $225, or $1650 in total over five years.
The GWM Haval Jolion has a five-star rating from ANCAP, based on testing conducted in 2022.
It received an adult occupant protection rating of 90 per cent, a child occupant protection rating of 84 per cent, a vulnerable road user protection rating of 64 per cent, and a safety assist rating of 92 per cent.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Driver attention monitoring
- Lane-keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Safe exit warning
- Traffic jam assist
- Traffic sign recognition
- Front, front-side and curtain airbags
- Centre airbag
- Reversing camera with rear parking sensors
Lux and above get a surround-view camera.
The Premium comes standard with the following equipment:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Roof rails
- Hill descent control
- Halogen headlights
- Cloth upholstery
- 3.5-inch instrument cluster screen
- Keyless entry and start
- 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Four-speaker sound system
- Rear air vents
- Front and rear USB outlets
The Lux and Lux Hybrid add:
- LED headlights
- Rear privacy glass
- Comfort-Tek leatherette upholstery
- 7.0-inch instrument cluster screen
- Six-speaker sound system
- Dual-zone climate control
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Automatic anti-glare rear-view mirror
The Ultra and Ultra Hybrid add:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Panoramic sunroof
- 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Head-up display
- One-touch up/down for all four windows
- Key fob window close function
The S adds:
- Multi-link independent rear suspension
- 18-inch black alloy wheels
- Black exterior mirrors, roof rails, bumper trim
The Lux Hybrid and Ultra Hybrid feature a unique front fascia with their own grille, blue headlight trim, and other changes.
Hamilton White is the standard finish across the Jolion range, with the following colours a $495 option:
- Smoke Grey
- Vivid Green (Premium, Lux, Ultra)
- Golden Black
- Mars Red
- Azure Blue
- Glacier Blue (Lux Hybrid, Ultra Hybrid)