The Polestar brand is entering Australia with the Polestar 2, a high-riding electric hatchback.
The range will consist of standard- and long-range, single-motor variants, as well as a long-range dual-motor model.
With prices under $65,000 before on-road costs, the single-motor variants will fall under the threshold for the $3000 electric vehicle rebate in both New South Wales and Victoria.
UPDATE, 1/3/2022 – Polestar has removed Pixel LED headlights with adaptive high-beam and active cornering lights from the Pilot Pack due to chip shortages. It’s renamed the pack to Pilot Lite and reduced the price from $5000 to $3400.
Polestar will also offer a choice of three option packages – the Pilot Lite Pack, Plus Pack and Performance Pack – which are priced at $3400, $6000 and $8000, respectively.
All models come with free servicing and roadside assistance for five years while, like rival Tesla, there’ll be new features and system upgrades deployed over-the-air.
Polestar is launching here with a direct-to-consumer online sales model, though it’ll also feature physical stores and test-drive centres in “cities around Australia”. It also plans on using Volvo dealerships for servicing.
- 2022 Polestar 2 Standard Range Single Motor: $59,900
- 2022 Polestar 2 Long Range Single Motor: $64,900
- 2022 Polestar 2 Long Range Dual Motor: $69,900
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2022 Polestar 2 offers a choice of three electric powertrains.
The Standard Range Single Motor features a 69kWh battery and a front-mounted electric motor that produces 170kW of power and 330Nm of torque.
The Long Range Single Motor upgrades to a 78kWh battery, with outputs of 170kW and 330Nm.
The flagship Long Range Dual Motor also uses a 78kWh battery, but produces 300kW of power and 660Nm of torque.
0-100km/h times are 7.4 seconds for single-motor variants and 4.7 seconds for the dual-motor version.
The 2022 Polestar 2 has energy consumption of 17.1kWh/100km in the single-motor variants and 19.4kWh/100km in the Long Range Dual Motor.
Polestar claims range of up to 474km in the Standard Range Single Motor, up to 540km in the Long Range Single Motor, and up to 480km in the Long Range Dual Motor. These figures are based on the stricter WLTP test cycle.
The 2022 Polestar 2 measures 4606mm long, 1859mm wide (1985mm including the mirrors), and 1479mm tall, with the Performance package sitting at 1473mm tall. It has a 2735mm wheelbase.
It has a 405L boot and a 35L storage compartment up front.
Polestar claims a braked towing capacity of 1500kg for all models.
The Polestar 2 will be covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty with an eight-year, 160,000km battery warranty.
All models come with free servicing and roadside assistance for five years.
The Polestar 2 has a five-star Euro NCAP rating.
It received an adult occupant protection score of 93 per cent, a child occupant protection score of 89 per cent, a vulnerable road user protection score of 80 per cent, and a safety assist score of 86 per cent.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking with cyclist and pedestrian detection and steering assistance
- Oncoming Lane Mitigation (steers the car back into its lane if you veer into the path of an oncoming vehicle)
- Run-Off Road Mitigation (steers the car back onto the road if it detects you’ll veer off of it)
- Lane-keep assist
- Traffic sign recognition
- Driver attention monitoring
- Eight airbags
- Reversing camera with front and rear parking sensors
All Polestar 2 models come standard with the following equipment:
- 11.2-inch touchscreen Android Automotive infotainment system
- Eight-speaker 250W sound system
- Heated front seats
- Semi-electric front seats (manually-adjustable backrest)
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Dual-zone climate control
- Keyless entry and start
- Ambient lighting
- Embossed textile seats
- WeaveTech-accented steering wheel
- Polestar Digital Key (phone-based locking and unlocking)
- Hands-free power tailgate
- LED headlights
- 19-inch alloy wheels
The $3400 Pilot Lite Pack adds:
- Adaptive cruise control
- Pilot Assist
- Surround-view camera
- Side parking sensors
- Blind-spot assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- LED front fog lights
The $6000 Plus Pack adds:
- 13-speaker Harman Kardon sound system
- WeaveTech vegan upholstery
- Black Ash deco panels
- Fully-electric heated front seats with memory
- Heated rear seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated wiper nozzles
- Heat pump
- Panoramic roof
- Wireless phone charging
- Ambient lighting
The $8000 Performance Pack, available only on the Long Range Dual Motor, adds:
- Forged 20-inch alloy wheels
- Brembo brakes
- ‘Swedish gold’ interior and exterior details
- Adjustable Öhlins dampers
MORE: Everything Polestar 2