The updated Mazda CX-5 is on sale now, with pricing kicking off just north of $30,000. Prices are up by between $1000 and $1500 across the range.
Along with a massaged look inspired by the smaller CX-30 SUV, the CX-5 range includes a rugged-looking Touring specification and a more distinctive Akera model atop the range.
Under the skin, Mazda says it has given the CX-5 a stiffer structure and revised the suspension. It also says “road noise has also been greatly reduced, particularly when driving on rough surfaces such as gravel”.
The engine range has carried over unchanged for 2022, meaning buyers are offered a choice between 2.0-litre and 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated petrol, 2.5-litre turbocharged petrol, and 2.2-litre turbo-diesel engines.
The model line-up has been trimmed from 16 models to 12. The base Maxx is now only offered with a 2.0-litre engine and front-wheel drive, the diesel Maxx Sport and Touring are gone, and the GT model has been axed.
Buyers are still offered the sportier-looking GT SP for 2022.
The new CX-5 goes head-to-head with the Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, and Nissan X-Trail. It will also sit below the upcoming rear-wheel drive Mazda CX-60, which promises to be a more premium car, from later in 2022.
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.0L FWD manual: $32,190 (+$1000)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.0L FWD: $34,190 (+$1000)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.5L FWD: $37,990 (+$1500)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.5L AWD: $40,490 (+$1000)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Touring 2.5L AWD: $42,380 (+$1100)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Touring Active 2.5L AWD: $42,680 (new)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Touring Active 2.2d AWD: $45,680 (new)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 GT SP 2.5 AWD: $48,790 (+$1300)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 GT SP 2.5 turbo AWD: $51,290 (+$1300)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Akera 2.5 AWD: $50,680 (+$1300)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Akera 2.5T AWD: $53,180 (+$1300)
- 2022 Mazda CX-5 Akera 2.2d AWD: $53,680 (+$1300)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Power in the 2022 Mazda CX-5 comes from a carryover range of engines.
The base CX-5 Maxx is powered by a 2.0-litre Skyactiv-G naturally-aspirated four-cylinder petrol developing 115kW of power at 6000rpm and 200Nm of torque at 4000rpm.
There’s a choice of three engines on models sitting above it in the range. There’s a petrol and all-wheel drive combination available, featuring a larger 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G four-cylinder naturally-aspirated petrol bumping outputs to 140kW at 6000rpm and 252Nm at 4000rpm.
GT SP and Akera models can be had with a 2.5-litre turbocharged version of the four-pot petrol, outputting 170kW at 5000rpm and 420Nm at 2000rpm.
Finally, the 2.2-litre twin-turbo four-cylinder diesel continues for 2022, available on Touring Active, GT and Akera grades. Outputs for the oiler are 140kW at 4500rpm and 450Nm from 2000rpm.
All 2.0-litre models are front-wheel drive, and buyers get a choice of six-speed manual and automatic transmissions.
All other models come mated with a six-speed automatic. The 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated petrol is available with all- and front-wheel drive, while diesel and turbocharged models are all-wheel drive only.
Combined fuel economy in the CX-5 with a 2.0-litre petrol engine is 6.9 litres per 100km. Moving to the 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated petrol ups that figure to 7.4 litres per 100km with all-wheel drive.
Opting for the turbo petrol ups fuel use to 8.2L/100km, while the diesel uses as little as 5.7L/100km on the combined cycle.
All versions are fitted with idle stop/start technology, and all petrol versions are designed to run on 91 RON regular unleaded.
The 2022 Mazda CX-5 measures 4575mm long, 1845mm wide and 1675mm tall, with a 2700mm wheelbase.
Boot space is a claimed 438 litres with the rear seats in place, and 1340L with the 40/20/20 folding rear bench sitting flat.
Maximum towing capacity is rated between 1800kg and 2000kg depending on engine variant.
All versions of the Mazda CX-5 wear a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on testing carried out in 2017.
The CX-5 scored 95 per cent for adult occupant protection, 80 per cent for child occupant protection, 78 per cent for pedestrian protection, and 59 per cent for safety assist.
Dual frontal, side chest and side head (curtain) airbags are standard across the range, as are:
- Autonomous emergency braking (Forward/Reverse) with pedestrian detection (Forward)
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Driver attention alert
- Auto high-beam
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go (stop/go auto only)
- Rear parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitoring
Mazda backs its range with a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty and five years of roadside assist.
Service intervals and prices for the updated CX-5 haven’t been revealed, but they’re unlikely to have changed from those of the pre-update model which required maintenance every 12 months or 10,000km.
Five years of capped-price servicing in the pre-update model cost a combined $1805.
Standard equipment on the CX-5 Maxx includes:
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/65 tyres
- Automatic LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Power-folding mirrors
- Rear seats with reclining function and 40/20/40 split-fold backrest
- Black cloth seat trim
- 8.0-inch touchscreen (MZD Connect)
- 7.0-inch digital instrument binnacle
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- AM/FM radio, DAB+
- Electric parking brake with Auto Hold
- Leather-wrapped gear shift knob and steering wheel
- Push-button start
Moving to the Maxx Sport brings:
- Dual-zone climate control
- Paddle shifters
- Rear-view mirror with auto-dimming
- Rear seats with centre armrest storage and USB charging ports
- Satellite navigation
- Traffic sign recognition
Moving to the Touring brings:
- Body-coloured, heated mirrors with auto-fold
- Black Maztex/Black Grand Luxe synthetic suede seat trim
- Keyless entry
- Front parking sensors
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Reversible cargo floorboard
Moving to the Touring Active brings:
- 17-inch alloy wheels (grey metallic)
- Green accented seat trim
- Side mirror caps in piano black
The GT SP gains:
- 19-inch alloy wheels (black metallic) with
- 10.25-inch widescreen infotainment display (Mazda Connect)
- Adaptive headlights
- Black headliner
- Power sliding and tilt-glass sunroof
- Hands-free kick-operated power tailgate
- Heated, powered front seats with driver memory
- Black leather seat trim with contrast red stitching
- Premium Bose 249-watt amplifier and 10 speakers (including subwoofer)
The range-topping Akera has:
- 19-inch alloy wheels (brilliant dark)
- Surround-view camera
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated outer rear seats
- Dark russet Nappa leather seat trim
- Heated steering wheel
- Ambient lighting
- Frameless rear-view mirror
- Real wood door and dashboard trim inserts
- Unique overhead console
MORE: Everything Mazda CX-5