Australia’s best-selling light SUV, the Mazda CX-3, is getting some minor tweaks for the 2022 model year.
UPDATE, 09/05/2022 – Mazda Australia increased the before on-road asking price for CX-3 models by $200 as part of a range-wide price increase in April 2022.
A Mazda Australia spokesperson said this price increase is due to supply chain constraints, as well as production costs. There has been no specification changes.
Pricing for the Mazda CX-3 range now starts at $23,390 before on-road costs for the Neo Sport manual, and extends to $39,690 before on-road costs for the Akari LE AWD.
Mazda first increased by the pricing for the CX-3 range between $300 and $700 in November 2021, and again by $100 on some models in February 2022.
In the transition to the 2022 model year, Mazda has axed the manual Akari variant from the local line-up, though you can still get a manual in every other trim level bar the Maxx Sport LE and top-spec Akari LE.
sTouring, Akari and Akari LE trims also receive gloss black painted body cladding as part of this minor update.
The entire CX-3 range now has rear seat belt reminders to conform with the latest Australian Design Rule (ADR) regulations.
The updated range began arriving in Australia in December 2021.
The Mazda CX-3 is currently the top-selling light SUV by a fair margin. From January to October 2021, Mazda sold 11,640 examples according to VFACTS.
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Neo Sport manual: $23,390 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Neo Sport automatic: $25,390 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Maxx Sport manual: $25,390 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Maxx Sport automatic: $27,390 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Maxx Sport LE automatic: $28,140 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Maxx Sport AWD automatic: $29,390 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 sTouring manual: $30,090 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 sTouring automatic: $32,090 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 sTouring AWD automatic: $34,090 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Akari automatic: $37,190 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Akari AWD automatic: $39,190 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Akari LE automatic: $37,690 (+$200)
- 2022 Mazda CX-3 Akari LE AWD automatic: $39,690 (+$200)
All prices exclude on-road costs
Unchanged for the 2022 model year, Australian-delivered Mazda CX-3 models are exclusively powered by a 2.0-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine, developing 110kW of power at 6000rpm and 195Nm of torque at 2800rpm.
The Skyactiv-G petrol engine is available with six-speed manual and six-speed automatic transmissions depending on variant, as well as standard front- or optional all-wheel drive – the latter exclusively available in conjunction with the six-speed auto.
Claimed combined cycle fuel economy figures for the 2022 Mazda CX-3 are as follows:
- Front-wheel drive manual: 6.6L/100km
- Front-wheel drive automatic: 6.3L/100km
- All-wheel drive automatic: 6.7L/100km
All versions can run on 91 RON regular unleaded petrol and are equipped with idle start/stop technology.
Front-wheel drive variants are fitted with a 48L fuel tank, whereas all-wheel drive variants have a 44L fuel tank instead.
The 2022 Mazda CX-3 measures in at 1765mm wide, 1535mm tall, and 4275mm long with a 2570mm wheelbase.
Luggage capacity for both FWD and AWD models is rated at 264L with all five seats in place, expanding to 1174L with the second row folded.
Braked towing capacity is 1200kg for all models.
The Mazda CX-3 is covered by the Japanese manufacturer’s five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty with roadside assistance for the same period.
Scheduled maintenance is required every 12 months or 10,000km (whichever comes first), with the first five services capped at $331, $391, $331, $391 and $331.
Additional items include the cabin air filter ($100) which needs to be replaced every 40,000 kilometres, while brake fluid replacement will add $71 every 24 months or 40,000km.
The Mazda CX-3 wears a 2015-stamped five-star ANCAP safety rating, based on older test criteria.
It managed 36.44 out of 37.00 points, including perfect scores in the Side Impact and Pole tests, and 15.44 out of 16.00 in the Frontal Offset assessment.
All 2022 Mazda CX-3 models receive the following safety equipment:
- Six airbags (front, front-side and curtain)
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB) with day- and night-time pedestrian detection
- Reversing camera
- Rear parking sensors
Stepping up to the Maxx Sport variants and above yields the following safety features:
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
For safety features like lane departure warning, driver attention monitoring and traffic sign recognition, you’ll need to step up to the mid-range sTouring at a minimum, while the Akari models get adaptive cruise control with stop/go, adaptive headlights and a surround-view camera.
The base Neo Sport comes with the following standard features:
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- DAB+ radio
- Six-speaker sound system
- 16-inch steel wheels with wheel covers
- Halogen headlights
- Power folding mirrors
- Height-adjustable front seats
- Black cloth upholstery
- 60/40 rear split folding seats
- Electric park brake with hold function
- Keyless entry and start
- Rear seat belt warning (NEW)
The Maxx Sport gains:
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear centre armrest
- Leather-wrapped shifter and steering wheel
- Overhead sunglasses storage
- Climate control
- Satellite navigation
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear-cross traffic alert
The Maxx Sport LE gains:
- Tan suede-like and white ‘Maztex’ leatherette upholstery
- Unique 16-inch alloy wheels
- Gloss black mirrors and front grille
The sTouring includes:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Heated body-coloured mirrors
- LED daytime running lights
- LED front fog lights
- LED headlights with auto high-beam
- LED tail lights
- Black ‘Maztex’ and black cloth upholstery
- Head-up display
- Driver attention alert
- Front parking sensors
- Traffic sign recognition
- Lane departure warning
- Gloss black painted body cladding (NEW)
The Akari gains:
- Power sunroof
- Heated front seats
- 10-way power driver’s seat with memory
- Black or white leather upholstery
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Surround-view camera
- Matrix LED headlights
The Akari LE includes:
- 18-inch ‘Bright’ alloy wheels
- Dark russet Nappa leather upholstery
- Dark russet centre console, centre and door armrests with white stitching
- White metallic air vent rings
- White door and dashboard trim inserts
There are now nine exterior paint colours to choose from.
- Platinum Quartz Metallic (NEW)
- Ceramic Metallic
- Deep Crystal Blue Mica
- Eternal Blue Mica
- Jet Black Mica
- Snowflake White Pearl Mica
- Polymetal Grey Metallic
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
- Machine Grey Metallic
The last three cost an additional $495.
MORE: Everything Mazda CX-3