The Hyundai Santa Fe range has received additional equipment, as well as price increases for 2022.
Hyundai says all models now come with a centre airbag as well as a multi-collision brake system, which works to bring the Santa Fe safely to a stop following an initial collision.
Prices are up by $850 on base and Highlander models, $1450 on the Active and $1700 on the Elite.
Those mid-range models have received additional changes beyond the extra safety equipment.
The Active has a new chrome exterior treatment, with chrome used on the grille, skid plate, door garnish, bumper moulding and door handles.
Elite models gain the heated front seats, LED tail lights and 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster previously exclusive to the Highlander.
All models also now include a third-row USB port.
Hyundai has yet to confirm pricing for the Santa Fe Hybrid, due here early in the second quarter of this year.
It has also yet to announce how many trim levels the hybrid will be available in, though we expect only all-wheel drive to be offered despite the availability of front-wheel drive hybrids in other markets.
Like the upcoming Kia Sorento hybrid, the hybrid Santa Fe will be powered by a 1.6-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine teamed with a 44.2kW electric motor and 1.49kWh lithium-ion polymer battery.
Combined power and torque outputs are rated at 169kW and 350Nm respectively, putting the hybrid between the existing V6 (200kW/331Nm) and 2.2-litre diesel (148kW/440Nm).
In terms of sales last year, the Santa Fe was neck-and-neck with its corporate cousin, the Kia Sorento: 5048 for the Hyundai, 5126 for the Kia.
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe V6: $45,550 (+$850)
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi: $49,050 (+$850)
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Active V6: $49,750 (+$1450)
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Active CRDi: $53,250 (+$1450)
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Elite V6: $56,000 (+$1700)
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Elite CRDi: $59,500 (+$1700)
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander V6: $62,550 (+$850)
- 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander CRDi: $66,050 (+$850)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe is offered with a choice of front- or all-wheel drive.
Front-wheel drive models are powered by a naturally-aspirated 3.5-litre petrol V6, mated with an eight-speed automatic transmission, which produces 200kW of power and 331Nm of torque.
All-wheel drive models use a 2.2-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder with 148kW and 440Nm, mated with an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic.
The 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe uses 10.5L/100km on the combined cycle with the V6 and 6.1L/100km with the diesel.
All models have a 67L fuel tank. V6 models run on 91RON regular unleaded fuel.
The 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe measures 4785mm long, 1900mm wide and 1685mm tall, with a 2765mm wheelbase.
Boot space is between 571L and 782L with the rear seats in place, depending on how far forward they’re slid. That expands to 1649L with the second row folded flat, and contracts to 130L with the third row in place.
Braked towing capacity is 2500kg, with a 200kg downball weight.
The 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Hyundai offers capped-price servicing, with the first five services costing $399 each in V6 models and $459 each in diesel models.
When the Hyundai Santa Fe was tested by ANCAP in 2018, it received a rating of five stars. Though it shifted to a new platform last year, the new Santa Fe won’t be re-tested.
Its rating was based on an adult occupant protection score of 94 per cent, child occupant protection of 86 per cent, pedestrian protection of 67 per cent and safety assist of 78 per cent.
All Santa Fes come standard with the following safety features:
- AEB with junction assist
- Multi-collision brake
- Blind-spot assist
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane Following Assist (Lane centring)
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Reversing camera
- Rear parking sensors
The Active gains Safe Exit Assist and front parking sensors, the Elite a radar-based rear occupant alert, and the range-topping Highlander a blind-spot camera view in the digital instrument cluster, reverse autonomous emergency braking, and Remote Smart Parking.
All models have front, front-side and curtain airbags plus a centre airbag for the first row, as well as curtain airbags for the second row.
The base Santa Fe packs the following standard features:
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 4.2-inch digital trip computer
- Reversing camera and rear parking sensors
- LED headlights and daytime running lights
- Wireless phone charging
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Electronic parking brake
- Automatic high-beam
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
The Santa Fe Active gains:
- Leather upholstery
- Dual-zone climate control
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Keyless entry and start
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear privacy glass
- Front parking sensors
- Power-folding exterior mirrors with puddle lamps
- Push-button gear selector with paddle shifters
- Keyless entry and start
- Chrome exterior treatment
- Paddle shifters
Next rung up is the Santa Fe Elite, which adds:
- 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- DAB+ radio
- Satellite navigation
- Harman/Kardon 10-speaker premium sound system
- Power tailgate
- 10-way power driver’s seat and eight-way power passenger’s seat
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Second-row sun shades
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Heated front seats
- LED tail lights
- Radar-based rear occupant alert
The range-topping Santa Fe Highlander adds the following features:
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Head-up display
- Remote Smart Parking Assist
- Surround-view camera
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- 14-way powered front seats
- Heated second-row seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Ambient lighting
- Aluminium interior trim
- LED projector headlights
- LED interior lighting
Premium paint is a $695 option range-wide, while the Elite is offered with a Cognac Brown leather interior for $295. The Highlander offers a Camel Beige finish leather interior for $295.