There’s a new Caddy on the course.
The redesigned Mk5 Volkswagen Caddy is in showrooms in August 2021, now riding the MQB platform and featuring a diesel-only range.
UPDATE, 5/8/2021 – We’ve updated this article and brought it forward to reflect the Caddy is now on sale.
The new generation won’t launch with petrol engines though they’re expected to arrive later this year.
There are nine different powertrains on offer in Europe but just two will be available at launch: a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder with 75kW of power and 280Nm of torque, badged TDI280, and the more powerful TDI320 with 90kW and 320Nm.
Volkswagen will continue to offer the new Caddy in two lengths, and in cargo van, crew van and people mover variants.
People mover variants will offer an expanded suite of standard active safety technology including blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert.
The Caddy range also upgrades to a newer infotainment system with an 8.25-inch touchscreen. A 10.0-inch touchscreen will be optional in people mover models.
Exterior dimensions have grown, with the short-wheelbase cargo van up 92mm in overall length to 4500mm.
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo TDI280 manual: $34,990
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo Maxi TDI280 manual: $36,990
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo TDI320 auto: $37,990
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy Cargo Maxi TDI320 auto: $39,990
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy Crewvan TDI320 auto: $43,990
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy Maxi TDI320 auto: $45,490
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy Life Maxi TDI320 auto: $49,990
- 2021 Volkswagen Caddy California Maxi TDI320 auto: $54,990
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2021 Volkswagen Caddy is powered by a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine producing 75kW of power and 280Nm of torque in TDI280 variants and 90kW of power and 320Nm of torque in TDI320 variants.
The TDI280 is only available with a six-speed manual transmission, while the TDI320 is only available with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Fuel economy figures have yet to be released for the 2021 Volkswagen Caddy.
The 2021 Volkswagen Caddy in short-wheelbase guise measures 4500mm long on a 2755mm wheelbase with a 1797mm long and 1230mm wide cargo bay. It’s 1856mm tall and 2100mm wide including the mirrors.
In Cargo Maxi variants, it measures 4853mm long and 1860mm tall with a 2970mm wheelbase and a 2150mm long cargo compartment. Exterior width and cargo bay width is identical to the short-wheelbase.
Payload is up to 724kg in short-wheelbase Cargo models and 754kg in the Cargo Maxi.
The 2021 Volkswagen Caddy is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Volkswagen offers capped-price servicing and the option of three- and five-year pre-paid service packs.
The redesigned Caddy has yet to be tested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP. The closely-related Golf has a five-star rating based on testing carried out in 2019.
All 2021 Volkswagen Caddy models come standard with the following equipment:
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Driver attention monitoring
- Reversing camera
- Rear parking sensors
Crewvan and people mover variants add lane-keep assist, junction assist for the AEB, and rear curtain airbags, while people mover variants exclusively add:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
The Caddy Cargo comes standard with the following features:
- 8.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Cruise control
- Automatic headlights
- Electric parking brake
- Single passenger-side sliding door (short-wheelbase)
- Dual sliding doors (Maxi)
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Two USB-C ports
- 12V sockets in front and rear cabin
- LED interior lighting
In addition to three rear seats, the Crewvan adds:
- Heated, power-adjustable mirrors
- Height-adjustable front seats with four-way power lumbar
The Caddy Maxi people mover adds:
- Seven seats
- LED tailgate surround lighting
- Fabric door trim armrests
The Life Maxi adds:
- Digital Cockpit digital instrument cluster
- Dual-zone climate control
- Keyless start
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Front parking sensors
- Adaptive cruise control (includes stop/go on auto models)
The California Maxi adds:
- 17-inch gloss-black alloy wheels
- Foldable bed
- Rear-side window storage bags
- Dimmable LED interior lighting
- Foldable table and two chairs
Overseas models are pictured throughout.