The latest Audi A1 Sportback has been on the Australian market for a year now, with an overhauled design inside and out compared to the long-serving previous generation as well as the brand’s latest infotainment and safety tech.
Based on the same MQB A0 architecture as the Volkswagen Polo, the Audi A1 offers a range of three- and four-cylinder petrol engines in Australia, with the new platform affording much more space for passengers and luggage than its predecessor.
- 2021 Audi A1 30 TFSI: $32,350
- 2021 Audi A1 35 TFSI: $35,290
- 2021 Audi A1 40 TFSI S line: $46,450
All prices exclude on-road costs
Each 2021 Audi A1 trim level comes has its own unique powertrain.
The entry-level 30 TFSI is powered by a 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbo petrol engine familiar from various Volkswagen Group models, developing 85kW and 200Nm – on tap from 5500rpm and 2000 to 3500rpm respectively.
Next up is the 35 TFSI, which draws upon a 1.5-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol, outputting 110kW at 6000rpm and 250Nm between 1500 and 3500rpm.
Finally, there’s the 40 TFSI S line flagship, which is essentially Audi’s take on the Volkswagen Polo GTI hot hatch. Power comes from a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol offering 147kW at 6000rpm and 320Nm between 1500 and 4000rpm.
All models are front-wheel drive and use a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Audi claims the 30 TFSI will use just 5.4L/100km on the combined cycle.
Meanwhile, the 35 TFSI quotes usage of 5.8L/100km and the performance-oriented 40 TFSI S line claims to use 6.4L/100km.
All models feature idle stop/start technology, and require 95 RON premium unleaded as a minimum.
The 2021 Audi A1 measures 4029mm long, 1740mm wide and 1433mm tall, with a 2563mm wheelbase.
Behind the second row of seats, the A1 offers a healthy 335L of luggage capacity.
Despite its diminutive size the A1 boasts impressive safety credentials, achieving a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on tests conducted by Euro NCAP against 2019 criteria.
The baby Audi scored 95 per cent for adult occupant protection, 88 per cent for child occupant protection, 73 per cent for vulnerable and 82 per cent for safety assist.
Standard safety features include:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection (up to 250km/h for vehicles, 85km/h for vulnerable road users)
- Lane-departure warning with lane-keeping assist
- Driver attention monitoring
- Dual front, side chest and side head (curtain) airbags
The Audi A1 30 TFSI comes standard with the following equipment:
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Electric and heated side mirrors
- 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster
- 8.8-inch MMI radio touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 2 x USB outlets (1 x USB-A and 1 x USB-C)
- Six-speaker audio system (80W)
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
The Audi A1 35 TFSI adds:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Keyless entry with push-button start
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Interior lighting package
- Front centre armrest
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
The Audi A1 40 TFSI S line adds:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Red brake calipers
- Audi drive select with adaptive dampers
- S line exterior package
- LED headlights and tail lights
- Electric folding exterior mirrors
- 10.1-inch MMI touch navigation system
- Audi connect plus with wireless Apple CarPlay
- 10.25-inch virtual cockpit (fully configurable)
- Front sports seats
- Paddle shifters
- Dual-zone climate control
Several optional packages are available depending on variant.
The first is the Style Package, available on the 30 TFSI and 35 TFSI ($2990). It adds:
- LED headlights
- Rear dynamic indicators
- Interior lighting package (30 TFSI)
- LED colour interior lighting package (35 TFSI)
- Electric, heated and folding exterior mirrors with kerb function
- 17-inch alloy wheels (30 TFSI)
- 18-inch Audi Sport alloy wheels (35 TFSI)
Second is the Technik package ($3200) available for the 35 TFSI, which adds:
- 10.1-inch MMI navigation plus with MMI touch
- Audi connect plus services
- Wireless Apple CarPlay
- Audi virtual cockpit
- Audi sound system
- Luggage compartment package
The Premium plus package ($2990) is available for the flagship 40 TFSI S line, and includes:
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Park assist
- Sport front seats
- Leather-appointed upholstery
- Privacy glass
- Bang & Olufsen 3D sound system
- Luggage compartment package
- LED colour interior lighting package
- Heated front seats (three-stage)
Finally, the 40 TFSI S line can be had with the S line interior package ($1100) in conjunction with the above Premium plus pack. This brings:
- Sport front seats with S embossing
- Alcantara/leatherette upholstery
- Black cloth headliner
- Silver grey inlays, diamond finish
- S line sport steering wheel with flat bottom and paddle shifters
- Stainless steel pedals and footrest
- Structure grey, quartz finish accents
The Audi A1 can be had in a range of exterior paint finishes, too. Metallic and pearl finishes ask for an additional $990 while the Tioman Green and Turbo Blue solid finishes are $490.
Should you want a contrasting roof in Mythos black, that’s a further $890.
The Audi A1 is covered by the brand’s three-year, unlimited kilometre warranty with roadside assistance for the same period.
Scheduled maintenance is required every 12 months or 15,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
Audi offers Genuine Care service plans that can be purchased up front covering the first five years of maintenance. In the case of the A1, it’s priced at $2030 – averaging $406 per annum.