The 2020 Mazda CX-8 is available in eight variants with pricing ranging from $46,910 before on-road costs for the front-wheel drive petrol Sport to $65,440 before on-roads for the all-wheel drive diesel Asaki.
The current CX-8 sits between the CX-5 and CX-9. In the large SUV segment below $70,000, the CX-8 accounts for around 2.4 per cent of sales.
That’s around a third as many as the larger CX-9 (6.8 per cent), and well behind the Toyota Kluger (12.7 per cent).
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 Sport petrol FWD: $39,910
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 Touring petrol FWD: $46,590
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 Sport diesel AWD: $46,910
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 Touring diesel AWD: $53,590
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 GT diesel FWD: $57,900
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 Asaki diesel FWD: $61,440
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 GT diesel AWD: $61,900
- 2020 Mazda CX-8 Asaki diesel AWD: $65,440
The 2020 Mazda CX-8 is available with a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine making 140kW and 252Nm. The base engine is a front-wheel drive only proposition.
There’s also a 2.2-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel with 140kW and 450Nm. This motor is available with either front- or all-wheel drive.
Both engines are fitted with a six-speed automatic transmission.
The 2020 Mazda CX-8 petrol uses 8.1L/100km on the combined cycle.
The diesel CX-8 drinks 5.9L/100km in front-wheel drive guise, while the all-wheel drive model is rated at 6.0L/100km.
The 2020 Mazda CX-8 measures 4900mm long, 1725mm tall and 1840mm wide, with a 2930mm wheelbase.
The petrol Mazda CX-8 tips the scales 1782kg, while the turbo-diesel weighs 1899kg in front-drive form, and between 1931kg and 1971kg with all-wheel drive model.
The boot has a luggage capacity, including the underfloor storage area, of 242L with all three seating rows up and 775L when the third row is flat.
These figures include underfloor storage and are measured to the ceiling.
The CX-8 has an ANCAP safety rating of five stars, with scores of 96 per cent in adult occupant protection, 87 per cent in child occupant protection, 72 per cent in vulnerable road user protection, and 73 per cent in safety assist.
All CX-8s come standard with autonomous emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, lane-keeping assist, rear parking sensors, adaptive cruise control and speed limiting.
Higher-end models have front parking sensors, and adaptive headlights.
The base model Mazda CX-8 Sport comes with the following standard features:
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/65 tyres
- Dusk-sensing LED headlights
- Heated electric wing mirrors with auto-folding mechanism
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Head-up display
- Three-zone climate control
- Self-dimming rear view mirror
- Leather steering wheel and gear shifter
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- DAB+ digital radio
- Six-speaker sound system
- Blind spot monitoring
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Automatic high beam
- Adaptive cruise control
- Adaptive speed limiter with traffic sign recognition
- Lane keeping assist
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Autonomous emergency braking
Moving up to the Mazda CX-8 Touring brings:
- LED fog lights
- Front parking sensors
- Keyless entry
- Black leather seat trim
- Heated front seats
- Eight-way electric driver’s seat
- Six-way electric passenger’s seat
- USB ports for second row centre arm rest
The Mazda CX-8 GT adds:
- 19-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Adaptive headlights
- Electric tilt-and-slide sunroof
- Electric tailgate
- 10-way electric driver’s seat
- Memory settings for front seats
- LED daytime running lights
- 10-speaker Bose sound system with subwoofer, 273W amplifier
- Heated second row seats (outboard only)
- USB charging ports for third row
- Chrome highlights
The range-topping Mazda CX-8 Asaki also features:
- 19-inch dark alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Surround view monitor
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Ventilated front seats
- Nappa leather seats (dark russet or pure white)
- Heated steering wheel
- 7.0-inch multi-information display
- Wood interior trim
- Frameless rear view mirror
- LED interior ambient lighting
- Premium steering wheel stitching
- Unique overhead console
The 2020 Mazda CX-8 services are priced between $329 and $416.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 10,000km, whichever comes first.