Is the new Ford Ranger quicker than the outgoing V6 Volkswagen Amarok? We lined them up, side-by-side, to find out.
Ford Ranger vs Volkswagen Amarok Comparison
How they stack...
- Cyber Orange looks tough
- Clever rear racking system is genuinely useful
- Meaningful suspension upgrades for a reasonable price
- Interior upgrades are limited
- 2.0-litre power only
- Suspension upgrades come at a cost in town
- Interesting interior finishes
- Balance of ride and handling
- Undercuts Aventura by $5000
- Tech has fallen further behind Ranger
- Doesn't go as far as some off-road rivals
- More expensive than key rivals
|Apple CarPlay and Android Auto|
|Wireless phone charger|
|Rear air vents|
|Adaptive cruise control|
|Autonomous emergency braking|
- Prestige Paint (+$700)
- Electric Brake Controller (+$499)
- Metallic Paint (+$990)
Ford is giving its gen-two Ranger and Ranger Raptor a handful of colours including some brilliant bright colours for the alter, including one exclusive to the flagship ute.
However, if you like 50 shades of grey – or, in this case, three – you’ll still have some options that’ll suit.
The colour palette comprises the following:
- Absolute Black
- Arctic White
- Blue Lightning
- Meteor Grey
- Sedona Orange
- Luxe Yellow (Wildtrak only)
- Code Orange (Raptor only)
- Conquer Grey (Raptor only)
While options and pricing haven’t been confirmed yet, we know the Amarok will be available in eight exterior colours including one colour unique to VW.
- Frozen White
- Agate Black metallic
- Blue Lightning metallic
- Carbonised Grey metallic
- Lucid Red metallic
- Moondust Silver metallic
- Diffused Silver metallic
- Moroccan Blue metallic (unique to Volkswagen)
The Ford Ranger Wildtrak X has touched down to fill yet another niche in the booming dual-cab ute space in Australia.
With a nice blend of on- and off-road ability, rugged looks, and V6 turbo-diesel power, the Amarok PanAmericana is an appealing ute.
|TURBO CDI, BI TURBO CDI, TWIN TURBO DIR F/INJ||TURBO DIRECT F/INJ, TURBO CDI, BI TURBO CDI|
|1996 - 2990||1996 - 2993|
|2.0L, 3.0L||2.3L, 2.0L, 3.0L|
|DIESEL TURBO 4, DIESEL TURBO V6, BI TURBO DIESEL 4, DIESEL TWIN TURBO 4, TWIN TURBO V6||TURBO 4, DIESEL TURBO 4, DIESEL TURBO V6, BI TURBO DIESEL 4|
|DUAL OVERHEAD CAM, VARIABLE DOUBLE OVERHEAD CAM||VARIABLE DOUBLE OVERHEAD CAM, DUAL OVERHEAD CAM|
|Valves/Ports per Cylinder|
|16||12 - 24|
|125kW - 292kW||125kW - 222kW|
|3250 - 5650||3250 - 5900|
|405Nm - 600Nm||405Nm - 600Nm|
|1750||1750 - 3350|
|15.8 - 16.3||10 - 16.5|