Ford has issued a recall for its 2017 Transit and 2017-19 Transit Custom vans to fix engine cooling issues.
“The electronic Run-on Water Pump (ROWP) fitted to certain Transit and Transit Custom vehicles aids cooling after the engine has been stopped,” the company says in its recall notice.
“Vehicles have been built with a 15A fuse to protect the ROWP in case of failure. If the ROWP fails, the 15A fuse will not prevent the ROWP from overheating.”
Ford says if the ROWP fails, it could cause localised melting of the pump body and wiring. This puts affected vans at risk of an engine compartment fire.
- A total of 2775 Ford Transit Custom models from model years 2017 to 2019 are affected, built from 23 November 2016 through 27 May 2019.
- A total of 347 Ford Transit models from model year 2017, built from 23 January 2017 through 23 July 2017, are affected.
- The VIN list for the Transit Custom is attached here.
- The VIN list for the Transit is attached here.
- The original recall notice is attached here.
Ford will contact owners of all affected vans to arrange an inspection and repair.
For more information, call the Ford Customer Relationship Centre on 1800 503 672.