The turbocharged Subaru Outback XT will be in showrooms before the end of 2022.
Two trims will be offered with the more powerful 2.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine in Australia: the Sport XT and the Touring XT.
Pricing for the turbocharged Outback kicks off at $52,190 before on-road costs, and stretches to $55,990 before on-roads. Turbocharged models are differentiated from naturally-aspirated models with dual exhaust pipes, an XT badge, and LED fog lights.
The front and rear dampers, along with the front springs, have been tweaked on the turbocharged Outback as well.
The wider range now kicks off at $42,690 before on-roads, up $1200.
Along with the turbocharged engine option, the 2023 Outback range has gained wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It also features a reworked touchscreen layout, a cleaner steering wheel design, and a faster USB-C port in place of the existing USB-A up front.
The voice command system can now control the driver assists, among other vehicle functions.
- 2023 Subaru Outback AWD: $42,690 (+$1200)
- 2023 Subaru Outback AWD Sport: $47,190 (+$1200)
- 2023 Subaru Outback AWD Touring: $50,990 (+$1200)
- 2023 Subaru Outback AWD Sport XT: $52,190
- 2023 Subaru Outback AWD Touring XT: $55,990
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The Outback is powered by a naturally-aspirated 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine at the base level, producing 138kW of power and 245Nm of torque. It’s mated to a continuously-variable transmission and all-wheel drive.
The Outback XT picks up a 2.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine, pumping out 183kW of power and 350Nm of torque. It’s mated to a continuously-variable transmission and all-wheel drive.
Claimed combined fuel economy for the naturally-aspirated Subaru Outback is 7.3L/100km. The turbocharged model drinks a claimed 9.0L/100km.
The car drinks regular 91 RON unleaded petrol, and has a 63 litre fuel tank.
The 2023 Subaru Outback measures 4870mm long, 1875mm wide, and 1675mm tall with the AWD and Touring’s roof rails fixed.
The car’s wheelbase is 2745mm, and the boot space is 522L with the rear seats in place and 1267L with them folded.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 12,500km in the Outback, and Subaru offers five years of capped-price servicing.
The Subaru Outback has a five-star ANCAP safety rating, based on testing conducted in 2021.
It received an adult occupant protection score of 88 per cent, a child occupant protection score of 91 per cent, a vulnerable road user protection score of 84 per cent, and a safety assist score of 96 per cent.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- AEB (forward and reverse) with pedestrian/cyclist/junction assist
- Autonomous emergency steering
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Driver attention monitoring
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Traffic sign recognition
The base Outback AWD gets:
- 11.6-inch vertical touchscreen infotainment system
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (new)
- 4.2-inch trip computer
- DAB+ digital radio
- Cloth upholstery
- Body-coloured mirrors
- Roof rails with integrated cross bars
- Grey 18-inch alloy wheels
- Dual-zone climate control
- Paddle shifters
- Six-speaker sound system
- Four cargo hooks in the boot
- Automatic windscreen wipers
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Opting for the Outback AWD Sport and Outback AWD Sport XT will add over the base model:
- Water repellent sports seat trim
- Heated front seats
- Heated rear outboard seats
- Front- and side-view cameras
- Black exterior highlights
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Satellite navigation
- Dark metallic 18-inch alloy wheels
The Outback AWD Touring and Outback AWD Touring XT drop the black exterior highlights but adds:
- Nine-speaker Harman Kardon sound system with CD player
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Ventilated front seats
- Manually-adjustable driver’s seat thigh support extender
- Electric sunroof
- Heated steering wheel
- Silver roof rails with integrated cross bars
- Gloss finish 18-inch alloy wheels
- Black or Ivory/Black interior
The Outback is available in the following colours:
- Sapphire Blue Pearl
- Brilliant Bronze Metallic
- Autumn Green Metallic
- Crimson Red Pearl
- Crystal White Pearl
- Ice Silver Metallic
- Storm Grey Metallic
- Magnetic Grey Metallic
- Crystal Black Silica