A new plug-in hybrid model sits atop the Range Rover Velar range for 2023, while there’s been a reshuffling of diesels.
First deliveries of 2023 Velar models are set to begin in the fourth quarter of 2022.
The plug-in hybrid P400e has already been on sale for some time in markets like Europe, but it’s never been available in Australia.
The P400e mates a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine with a 105kW electric motor and a 19.2kWh lithium-ion battery.
Total system outputs are 297kW of power and 640Nm of torque, while claimed electric-only range on the WLTP cycle is 53km.
The four-cylinder D200 is dead for 2023, and instead there’s a six-cylinder D300 available only in a new special edition model called, appropriately enough, the Edition.
The new Edition returns a six-cylinder diesel to the Velar line, which was available until 2019 with a 3.0-litre twin-turbo V6 diesel in D300 guise. Now, the D300 is powered by a 3.0-litre inline-six turbo-diesel.
The Edition D300 is based on the mid-range R-Dynamic SE spec but builds on it with gloss black exterior detailing, a black roof, plus various standard inclusions like a panoramic sunroof.
The 3.0-litre inline-six turbo-diesel features an identical 221kW output to the old twin-turbo V6 diesel, though it has 50Nm less torque (for 650Nm in total) and is 0.2L/100km thirstier on the combined cycle (7.0L/100km).
All Velar models gain Amazon Alexa connectivity as this filters throughout the Jaguar Land Rover line-up.
The model line-up is otherwise unchanged, though prices are up by as much as $4538.
- 2023 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic S P250: $96,600 (+$3890)
- 2023 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE P250: $98,900 (+$2217)
- 2023 Range Rover Velar Edition D300: $122,900 (new)
- 2023 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE P400: $125,200 (+$4538)
- 2023 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic HSE P400: $136,700 (+$3296)
- 2023 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic HSE P400e: $138,800 (new)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2023 Range Rover Velar is offered with a choice of petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid powertrains.
P250 models use a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine producing 184kW of power and 365Nm of torque.
P400 models use a turbocharged 3.0-litre inline-six producing 294kW and 550Nm and the D300 uses a 3.0-litre turbo-diesel inline-six producing 221kW and 650Nm.
All the above powertrains feature 48V mild-hybrid technology.
Finally, the P400e mates a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine with a 105kW electric motor and a 19.2kWh lithium-ion battery. Total system outputs are 297kW of power and 640Nm of torque.
All Velars feature all-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Claimed 0-100km/h times are as follows:
- P250: 7.5 seconds
- P400: 5.5 seconds
- P400e: 5.4 seconds
- D300: 6.5 seconds
The 2023 Range Rover Velar has the following claimed combined cycle fuel economy:
- P250: 7.8L/100km
- P400: 8.7L/100km
- P400e: 2.7L/100km
- D300: 7.0L/100km
The P400e has a claimed 53km of electric-only range on the WLTP standard.
Land Rover says the battery can be charged to 80 per cent in 30 minutes using a 50kW DC rapid charger, or in 1 hour 40 minutes using a 7kW AC wallbox.
The 2023 Range Rover Velar measures 4797mm long, 2041mm wide and 1683mm tall on a 2874mm wheelbase.
It has 748L of boot space, expanding to 1811L with the second-row dropped.
The 2023 Range Rover Velar is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Land Rover offers a five-year/102,000km service plan for all Velars. Prices for these are as follows:
- P250: $1950
- P400: $2250
- D300: $2650
- P400e: $1950
The Range Rover Velar has a five-star rating from ANCAP, based on testing conducted by Euro NCAP in 2017.
It scored 93 per cent for adult occupant and 85 per cent for child occupant protection, with 74 per cent for vulnerable road users and 72 per cent for safety assist systems.
Standard safety equipment across the range includes:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-keep assist
- Adaptive cruise control with steering assist
- Driver fatigue monitoring
- Traffic sign recognition
- Reversing camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
The R-Dynamic S comes standard with the following equipment:
- Pivi Pro touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Touch Pro Duo
- DAB digital radio
- 12-speaker 400W Meridian sound system
- Power tailgate
- Keyless entry and start
- 14-way power front seats with driver memory
- Ambient lighting
- Metal pedals
- Dual-zone climate control
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Paddle shifters
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- LED headlights
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Automatic headlights
- Automatic high-beam
- Single-speed transfer case
- All Terrain Progress Control
- Terrain Response with Dynamic Program
- Hill descent control
The R-Dynamic SE adds:
- Matrix LED headlights
- Adaptive suspension (P400)
The R-Dynamic HSE adds:
- 20-way heated and ventilated front seats with massage and driver memory
- Power-adjustable steering column
- Extended Leather Upgrade
- 16-speaker 750W Meridian 3D sound system
- Digital instrument cluster (P400e)
- 21-inch alloy wheels
Over the R-Dynamic SE, the Edition includes:
- Sliding panoramic roof
- Black contrast roof
- R-Dynamic Black Pack
- Privacy glass
- Front fog lights
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Cabin Air Purification Plus
- 20-inch gloss black alloy wheels
The optional Convenience Pack (excludes Edition) costs $1790 and adds:
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Rear seat remote release levers
- Activity Key
The Technology Pack ($6270-9380, depending on the variant) adds:
- Matrix-laser LED headlights
- Headlight power washers
- Head-up display
- Digital instrument cluster
The $2060 Park Assist Pack adds:
- Surround-view camera
- Semi-automatic parking assist
The Cold Climate Plus Pack (not available on P400e) costs $4500 and adds:
- Heated windscreen
- Headlight power washers
- Heated steering wheel
- Cabin pre-conditioning
Standalone options across the range include:
- Sliding panoramic roof: $4420
- Matrix-laser LED headlights: $3900 ($6670 on R-Dynamic S)
- Fixed panoramic roof: $3570 (excludes Edition)
- Head-up display: $2420
- Air suspension: $2110 (excludes P400e)
- 3D surround-view camera: $1650
- Tow hitch receiver: $1000
- Configurable Dynamics: $940
- Privacy glass: $890
- Digital instrument cluster: $890
- Advanced tow assist: $850
- Additional ambient lighting: $540
- Heated steering wheel: $530
- Headlight power washers: $494
- Terrain Response 2 with Dynamic Program: $430
- Front fog lights: $403
- Rear seat remote release levers: $300
- Fixed rear recovery eye: $286
Some features may not currently be available due to supply chain shortages. We recommend discussing with a Land Rover dealer if you’re ordering a Velar.
As is typical of a Jaguar Land Rover product, you can also add features to lower-spec models found in up-spec models. There’s also a wide range of wheel and trim options, plus a range of different seat options. We recommend consulting the Land Rover website for further information.
The Velar is available in Fuji White solid paint, plus the following metallic finishes:
- Santorini Black
- Firenze Red
- Byron Blue
- Eiger Grey
- Portofino Blue
- Lantau Bronze
- Hakuba Silver
- Ostuni Pearl White
Carpathian Grey and Charente Grey are $1780 options, while there are a range of more expensive SVO finishes available.