The GWM Ute range has grown considerably this year, with a trio of cab-chassis variants announced in April and a new off-road flagship revealed this week.
The new Cannon-XSR swaps the standard full-time four-wheel drive system for a part-time system, and gains a locking front differential in addition to the standard one at the rear.
It also gains a new crawl mode, as well as a system that brakes the inside wheels to allow you to turn tighter on loose surfaces. Other changes include a new underbody bash plate, steel bumpers front and rear, a new grille, and 265/65 all-terrain tyres.
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon 4×2: $35,990
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC 4×2: $36,990
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon 4×4: $38,990
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC 4×4: $39,990
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-L 4×4: $42,490
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-L CC 4×4: $43,490
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-X: $45,490
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon Vanta 4×4: $46,490
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-XSR 4×4: $52,990
All prices are drive-away.
The 2023 GWM Ute uses a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel producing 120kW of power and 400Nm of torque. It’s mated with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
It’s available with either rear- or four-wheel drive.
Four-wheel drive models use a full-time system with selectable low-range gearing and a locking rear differential, except for the Cannon-XSR which features a part-time system with selectable low-range gearing and locking front and rear differentials.
The Cannon-XSR also features a crawl mode and Turn Assist By Braking.
The 2023 GWM Ute Cannon uses 8.3L/100km on the combined cycle in 4×2 ute guise and 8.4L/100km as a 4×2 cab-chassis, while both body styles with four-wheel drive have a claim of 9.4L/100km.
A fuel economy figure for the Cannon-XSR isn’t yet available.
The 2023 GWM Ute Cannon measures 5410mm long, 1886mm wide and 1934mm tall, riding on a 3230mm wheelbase.
The Cannon-CC measures 5511mm long, 1934mm wide and 1886mm tall on a 3230mm wheelbase. The tray itself measures 1730mm long, 1855mm wide and 235mm deep.
Braked towing capacity is 3000kg, while payload is 1130kg.
As with the rest of the GWM range, the Ute Cannon-CC is backed by a seven-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty and five years of roadside assistance.
There are five years of capped-price servicing, with the first – due at six months or 5,000km – costing $260.
Subsequent services are required at 12-month/10,000km intervals and cost $360 each.
After initially failing to earn a five-star ANCAP rating, the GWM Ute range was modified by the factory.
It was awarded a five-star rating in November 2021, on the condition vehicles built between September 2020 and July 2021 are retroactively upgraded to the same standards as the five-star vehicle tested later in 2021.
These later vehicles scored 86 per cent for adult occupant protection, 87 per cent for child occupant protection, 67 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 73 per cent for safety assist.
Standard across all models are:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian, cyclist detection
- 7 airbags including a front-centre airbag
- Reverse and passenger-kerbside camera views
- Rear parking sensors
- Lane departure warning
- Lane keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control
- Speed warning
- Traffic sign recognition
- Tyre-pressure monitoring
The Cannon-L CC gains a surround-view camera and front parking sensors, while the Cannon-X gains safe exit warning.
There are five different trim levels in total.
The base Cannon and Cannon-CC 4×2 and 4×4 come standard with the following equipment:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic LED headlights and tail lights
- SIde steps
- Hill descent control
- 9.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
- 3.5-inch instrument cluster screen
- Comfort-Tek leather upholstery
- Power outlet and USB port for dash cam
- 12V power outlet
- 220V power outlet
- Front USB port x 2
- Rear USB port x 1
- Keyless entry and start
- Paddle shifters
The Cannon-L ute and cab-chassis gain:
- Chrome grille, door handles and mirrors
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Power driver’s seat
- Heated front seats
- Automatic climate control
- Automatic anti-glare rear-view mirror
The Cannon-X adds:
- 7.0-inch digital instrument cluster
- Wireless phone charger
- Leather upholstery
- Steering modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport)
- 60:40 split/fold rear seats
- Second-row armrest
- Voice recognition
- Tilt/slide steering wheel adjustment
The Cannon Vanta adds:
- 18-inch black-finish alloy wheels
- Black grille, sports bar, mirrors and door handles
The Cannon-XSR adds:
- Steel front and rear bumpers
- Unique grille and sports bar
- Black-finish 18-inch alloy wheels in 265/65 R18 all-terrain tyres
- Full underbody chassis guard
- Locking front and rear differentials
Pearl White is standard, with the following finishes a $595 option:
- Sapphire Blue (utes only)
- Crystal Black
- Pittsburgh Silver
- Scarlet Red (utes only)
MORE: Everything GWM Ute