The Volkswagen Passat range has expanded from just two variants to six, with the Alltrack wagon returning and a sporty 206TSI R-Line wagon capping the range.
The expanded range goes on sale in April 2021, though the R-Line flagship will arrive later in the second quarter of next year.
It’s a petrol-only line-up, with turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engines available across the range in three different states of tune.
New technology for the facelifted Passat includes the availability of matrix LED headlights, as well as the latest MIB3 infotainment system with standard wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Prices start at $46,590 before on-road costs for the one carryover model from 2020, the base 140TSI Business sedan.
The 140TSI Business wagon has been removed from the range as a technical change requires it to be re-homologated. Volkswagen plans to re-introduce it at a later date.
In the interim, the cheapest wagon is the high-riding Alltrack 162TSI. It packs a more powerful engine than the 140TSI Business sedan and costs only $500 more, though it foregoes some niceties like leather upholstery.
The Passat range was reduced to just two models for 2020 as production delays pushed back the launch of the expanded range. While the range will once again feature in an array of variants, it won’t include any diesel engines.
- 2021 Volkswagen Passat 140TSI Business sedan: $46,590
- 2021 Volkswagen Passat Alltrack 162TSI: $46,990
- 2021 Volkswagen Passat 162TSI Elegance sedan: $51,790
- 2021 Volkswagen Passat 162TSI Elegance wagon: $53,790
- 2021 Volkswagen Passat Alltrack 162TSI Premium: $58,790
- 2021 Volkswagen Passat 206TSI R-Line wagon: $63,790
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Metallic and pearl paint costs $800.
The Passat 140TSI is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol four-cylinder engine making 140kW of power and 320Nm of torque. It’s mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
162TSI models also have a turbocharged 2.0-litre engine, albeit with 162kW of power and 350Nm of torque. They use a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission except for the Alltrack models, which use a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
The 206TSI uses a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine producing 206kW of power and 400Nm of torque, mated to a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
The 2021 Volkswagen Passat consumes 6.4L/100km on the combined cycle in the 140TSI, 6.9L/100km in the 162TSI sedan, 7.2L/100km in the 162TSI wagon and 8.1L/100km in the Alltrack and 206TSI.
All Passats require 95RON premium unleaded fuel.
The 2021 Volkswagen Passat measures 4775mm long, 1835mm wide and 1457mm tall as a sedan and 4777mm long, 1832mm wide and 1477mm tall as a wagon.
The Alltrack shares the wagon’s dimensions except it’s 1506mm tall.
Luggage space in the sedan measures 586L, expanding to 1152L with the rear seats folded. The wagon has 650L and 1780L, respectively.
Volkswagen offers a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty and three- and five-year servicing plans for the Passat, which requires servicing every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first.
We’ve contacted Volkswagen Australia to confirm servicing costs for the 2021 range.
The Volkswagen Passat has a five-star rating from ANCAP based on testing conducted in 2015, where it received an overall score of 35.89 out of 37.
All 2021 Volkswagen Passat models come standard with the following safety features:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Blind-spot assist
- Lane-keeping assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Driver attention monitoring
The Alltrack comes standard with the following features:
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with gesture control, satellite navigation and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Tri-zone climate control with rear controls
- LED headlights
- Cloth upholstery
- Reversing camera with front and rear parking sensors
- Semi-autonomous parking assist
- Adaptive cruise control
The 140TSI Business comes standard with the following features:
- Heated, power-adjustable front seats with memory and driver massage
- Leather upholstery
The 162TSI Elegance adds:
- 9.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with gesture control, satellite navigation and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Digital Cockpit digital instrument cluster
- Surround-view camera
- Matrix LED headlights
- Ambient lighting
- Power boot lid/tailgate
- Heated, ventilated and power-adjustable front seats with memory and driver massage
- Panoramic sunroof
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Harman Kardon sound system
A $3000 R-Line package is optional.
The Alltrack Premium adds colour-adjustable ambient lighting
The 206TSI R-Line adds the 162TSI Elegance’s optional R-Line package, which includes:
- Stainless steel pedals
- R-Line exterior package
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Rear spoiler
- Privacy glass