The Mazda CX-8 has followed in its bigger brother’s footsteps for 2021.
There’s a new Asaki LE sitting atop the range with a six-seat layout, along with nicer Nappa leather trim in unique colours.
Also new is a sporty-looking Touring SP, available with a choice of petrol or diesel engines.
On the outside the Touring SP has black metallic 19-inch alloy wheels, along with a smattering of gloss black trim highlights.
Inside, there’s red contrast stitching, black trim, and a powered driver’s seat.
There’s more to the 2021 CX-8 than the two new models. A range of tweaks have been made across the range, headlined by a new 10.25-inch screen running the new Mazda Connect infotainment system in CX-8 GT models and above.
A full breakdown of specifications is below. The 2021 Mazda CX-8 is on sale in Australia now.
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Sport petrol FWD: $39,990
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Touring petrol FWD: $46,790
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Sport diesel AWD: $46,990
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Touring SP petrol FWD: $47,790
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Touring diesel AWD: $53,790
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Touring SP diesel AWD: $54,790
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 GT diesel FWD: $59,290
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Asaki diesel FWD: $62,790
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 GT diesel AWD: $63,290
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Asaki diesel AWD: $66,790
- 2021 Mazda CX-8 Asaki LE diesel AWD: $69,290
All prices exclude on-road costs. New models are highlighted in bold.
If you’re looking for a more accurate idea of price, head over to the Mazda CX-8 price and specs page to get more relevant pricing. Alternatively you use the official Mazda CX-8 configurator to build and price one in your own specification.
The 2021 Mazda CX-8 is available with a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine making 140kW of power and 252Nm of torque.
The base engine is a front-wheel drive only proposition.
There’s also a 2.2-litre four-cylinder twin-turbo diesel with 140kW of power and 450Nm of torque. This motor is available with either front- or all-wheel drive.
Both engines are fitted with a six-speed automatic transmission as standard.
Full engine and drive train specifications can be found on the Mazda CX-8 specs page.
The 2021 Mazda CX-8 petrol uses 8.1L/100km on the combined cycle.
The diesel CX-8 drinks 5.9L/100km in front-wheel drive guise, while the all-wheel drive model is rated at 6.0L/100km.
The 2021 Mazda CX-8 measures 4900mm long, 1725mm tall and 1840mm wide, with a 2930mm wheelbase.
The petrol CX-8 tips the scales 1782kg, while the turbo-diesel weighs 1899kg in front-drive form, and between 1931kg and 1971kg with all-wheel drive.
The boot has a luggage capacity, including the underfloor storage area, of 242L with all three seating rows up and 775L when the third row is flat.
These figures include underfloor storage and are measured to the ceiling.
You can find detailed exterior and interior dimensions via the Mazda CX-8 specifications page.
The CX-8 has an ANCAP safety rating of five stars based on testing carried out in 2018.
It scored 96 per cent in adult occupant protection, 87 per cent in child occupant protection, 72 per cent in vulnerable road user protection, and 73 per cent in safety assist.
All Mazda CX-8 models come standard with:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-keep assist
- Rear parking sensors
- Adaptive cruise control
Higher-end models have front parking sensors and adaptive headlights.
The 2021 Mazda CX-8 is backed by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 10,000km.
Capped-price service costs for the petrol front-wheel drive over the first five years total $1757.
The diesel all-wheel and front-wheel drive cost a combined $1885 over five years.
The base model Mazda CX-8 Sport comes with the following standard features:
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/65 tyres
- Dusk-sensing LED headlights
- Heated electric wing mirrors with auto-folding mechanism
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Head-up display
- Three-zone climate control
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Leather steering wheel and gear shifter
- 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with satellite navigation
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- DAB+ digital radio
- Six-speaker sound system
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
Moving up to the Mazda CX-8 Touring brings:
- LED fog lights
- Front parking sensors
- Keyless entry
- Black leather seat trim
- Heated front seats
- Eight-way electric driver’s seat
- Six-way electric passenger’s seat
- USB ports for second row centre arm rest
- Paddle shifters
The new Touring SP gains:
- 19-inch black metallic alloy wheels
- Black front grille, mirror caps
- Black honeycomb interior highlights
- Suede-like seat trim
- Red interior stitching
- 10-way powered driver’s seat
- Heated outboard second-row seats
The Mazda CX-8 GT adds:
- 10.25-inch infotainment system with satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless phone charging
- Burgundy or black leather trim
- 19-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Gloss black front grille
- Adaptive headlights
- Electric tilt-and-slide sunroof
- Electric tailgate
- LED daytime running lights
- 10-speaker Bose sound system with subwoofer, 273W amplifier
- Heated second row seats (outboard only)
- USB charging ports for third row
- Chrome highlights
The Mazda CX-8 Asaki also features:
- 19-inch dark alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Gun metallic front grille
- Chroma Brown nappa leather seats with quilting
- Surround view monitor
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Ventilated front seats
- Nappa leather seats (dark russet or pure white)
- Heated steering wheel
- 7.0-inch multi-information display
- Wood interior trim
- Frameless rear view mirror
- LED interior ambient lighting
- Premium steering wheel stitching
- Unique overhead console
The range-topping CX-8 Asaki LE packs:
- Six-seat interior with powered, heated, ventilated second-row captain’s chairs
- Second row centre console with cupholders and USB charging
- Chroma Brown or Pure White leather with quilting
Mazda have a configurator tool on the official website you can use to build one of these to your own specifications.