The current, fourth generation of Jeep Grand Cherokee has entered its swan-song year with a pared-down range.
Gone are the Limited, Overland, Summit and SRT trims for 2021.
There are, however, still four different engines used across the range with both petrol and diesel options available. Pricing is unchanged.
A new generation of Grand Cherokee has been revealed in new, seven-seat L guise. It’s set to touch down in Australia by the end of 2021.
Jeep has confirmed the new, fifth-generation model won’t offer a diesel. Instead, a plug-in hybrid powertrain will be introduced in 2022.
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Night Eagle petrol V6: $59,950
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Night Eagle diesel V6: $65,950
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Limited petrol V8: $72,950
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Limited diesel V6: $72,950
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk diesel V6: $75,950
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Overland diesel V6: $82,950
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: $139,950
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Night Eagle comes standard with a naturally-aspirated 3.6-litre petrol V6 producing 213kW of power and 347Nm of torque.
Optional on the Night Eagle and S-Limited and standard on the Trailhawk and S-Overland is a 3.0-litre turbo-diesel V6 producing 184kW of power and 570Nm of torque.
The S-Limited is also available at the same price with a naturally-aspirated 5.7-litre petrol V8 producing 259kW of power and 520Nm of torque.
The Trackhawk uses a supercharged 6.2-litre V8 producing 522kW of power and 868Nm of torque.
All 2021 Grand Cherokee models use an eight-speed torque-converter automatic transmission and four-wheel drive.
The Grand Cherokee Night Eagle and S-Limited use Jeep’s Quadra-Trac II four-wheel drive system that comes with a two-speed transfer case.
Trailhawk and S-Overland trims come with Jeep’s Quadra-Drive II four-wheel drive system with Quadra-Lift air suspension and a rear electronic limited-slip differential. They also include a two-speed transfer case.
The Trackhawk uses the Quadra-Trac Active on-demand four-wheel drive system with a rear e-LSD.
Jeep claims a 0-100km/h time of 8.3 seconds with the petrol V6, 8.2 seconds for the diesel V6 and 3.7 seconds for the Trackhawk.
The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee consumes 10L/100km on the combined cycle with the V6 petrol, 7.5L/100km combined with the V6 diesel, 13L/100km with the 5.7-litre V8 and 16.8L/100km in the Trackhawk.
The petrol V6 and 5.7-litre V8 consume 91RON regular unleaded, whereas the Trackhawk requires 98 RON premium unleaded.
All have a 93L fuel tank.
All 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee exterior dimensions differ depending on the variant.
It measures 4828mm long in all variants except the Trackhawk, which measures 4846mm.
The Grand Cherokee measures 1802mm tall in Night Eagle and S-Limited trims, 1792mm in Trailhawk and S-Overland trims, and 1749mm in the Trackhawk.
It measures 1943mm wide in all trims except the Trackhawk that measures 1954mm wide.
Night Eagle and S-Limited variants have an approach angle of 26 degrees, a breakover angle of 19 degrees, and a departure angle of 24 degrees. With their air suspension set to off-road mode, the Trailhawk and S-Overland have approach, breakover and departure angles of 36, 22 and 37 degrees, respectively.
Wading depth is 508mm in all bar the Trackhawk.
Tare weight ranges from 2084kg for the Night Eagle petrol to 2399kg for the Trackhawk.
The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee comes with a five-year/100,000km warranty.
Servicing is required every 12 months or 12,000km in the petrol variants and 12 months or 20,000km in the diesel variants.
Jeep offers five years of capped-price servicing, with diesel models costing $599 per service and all petrol models bar the Trackhawk costing $399. The Trackhawk’s services are $799 each.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee has a five-star rating from ANCAP based on testing conducted in 2014. The rating applies only to V6 petrol and diesel models, with V8 models untested.
That rating was based on a frontal offset score of 14.09 out of 16 and a side impact score of 16 out of 16. Whiplash and pedestrian protection were rated Good and Marginal, respectively.
All 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee models come standard with the following safety features:
- Full-speed autonomous emergency braking
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keeping assist
- Seven airbags
- Reversing camera with front and rear parking sensors
All bar the Night Eagle also include blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and rear cross-traffic alert.
Standard in the Night Eagle are the following:
- 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment display
- 7.0-inch digital instrument cluster
- Satellite navigation
- Wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- DAB+ digital radio
- Six-speaker sound system
- 20-inch black alloy wheels
- ‘Capri Black’ leather seats with perforated suede inserts
- Bi-Xenon headlights
- Headlight washers
- Keyless entry and start
- Eight-way power front seats
- Heated front seats
- Dual-zone climate control
- Automatic headlights with automatic high-beam
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Paddle shifters
The S-Limited adds:
- 20-inch gloss black alloy wheels
- ‘Heritage’ leather seats
- LED fog lights
- Nine-speaker sound system
- Adaptive cruise control
- Semi-autonomous parking assist
- Power tailgate
- Privacy glass
- Heated steering wheel
- Radio, driver seat and mirror memory
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Rear USB
- Power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
- Remote start
The Trailhawk adds:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- All-terrain tyres
- Nappa leather seats with suede inserts
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated rear seats
The Trailhawk also includes unique off-road enhancements like underbody skid plates and two front tow hooks.
A single-pane sunroof is optional on the Night Eagle, while a panoramic sunroof is optional on the S-Limited and Trailhawk.
The S-Overland adds the following:
- 20-inch granite crystal aluminium wheels
- SRT seats with black Nappa leather upholstery with black suede inserts
- Leather-wrapped instrument panel and centre console
- Panoramic sunroof
- Ventilated front seats
- 19-speaker Harman Kardon sound system
The Trackhawk adds:
- 20-inch forged alloy wheels
- Adaptive HID headlights
- Laguna leather seats
- Yellow Brembo brake calipers
- Quad exhaust tips
- Nappa leather door trim
- Launch control
- Adaptive suspension