Hyundai Australia has bolstered its electric range with the introduction of two additional Kona Electric variants with a smaller battery, bringing the price of entry down by $7500.
The Kona Electric Standard Range joins the existing 64kWh ‘Extended Range’ versions, with a 327-volt, 39.2kWh lithium-ion battery pack and less powerful 100kW/395Nm e-motor (down from 150kW) on the front axle – all for a $6000 saving compared to the equivalent Extended Range variant.
Officially, the Standard Range offers up to 305km (WLTP) of zero emissions driving, down from the Extended Range’s 484 kilometres. Hyundai is yet to disclose charge times for the shorter-range versions.
Priced from $54,500 for the Elite and $58,000 for the Highlander, both before on-road costs, the Kona Electric Standard Range effectively mirrors the specification of the 64kWh versions in terms of equipment. See below for more.
The 39.2kWh Kona Electric is priced a bit higher than the $41,990 MG ZS EV and the $49,990 Nissan Leaf, both of which sport bigger battery packs. However, the lower-spec Kona Electric offers more range than both – the ZS EV claims 263km and the Leaf 270km.
The Kona’s torque figure of 395Nm also outpunches the MG (353Nm) and Nissan (320Nm).
However the larger Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus looms as a $59,900 plus on-roads proposition, boasting a 54kWh battery good for 448km of WLTP-certified range.
Beyond the addition of the new Standard Range models, the Elite and Highlander versions of the Kona Electric Extended Range have received price cuts of $1500 and $2000 respectively. See below for the full price list.
Kona Electric Elite
- Dusk-sensing headlights (halogen projector-type)
- LED daytime running lights
- 17-inch alloys with Michelin Primacy 4 tyres
- Leather-appointed upholstery
- Keyless entry/start
- Climate control with auto defog
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear privacy glass
- 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster
- 10.25-inch infotainment system
- Satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (wired)
- 8-speaker Harman Kardon audio system
- Heated/power-folding side mirrors
- Reversing camera
- Rear parking sensors
- Hyundai SmartSense
- AEB with pedestrian/cyclist detection
- Blind-spot assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Lane-keep assist
- Lane Following Assist (active lane centring)
- Driver attention alert
- Rear occupant alert
- Safe Exit Warning
Kona Electric Highlander adds:
- LED headlights/tail lights
- High Beam Assist (auto high-beam)
- Front parking sensors
- Head-up display
- Powered glass sunroof
- Heated/ventilated front seats
- Heated rear outboard seats
- Power front seat adjustment
- Electrochromatic rear-view mirror
- Heated steering wheel
- Ambient interior lighting
- Two-tone roof option (deletes sunroof)
Kona Electric Standard Range (39.2kWh)
- 2021 Hyundai Kona Elite Standard Range: $54,500
- 2021 Hyundai Kona Highlander Standard Range: $58,000
Kona Electric Extended Range (64kWh)
- 2021 Hyundai Kona Elite Extended Range: $60,500 (-$1500)
- 2021 Hyundai Kona Highlander Extended Range: $64,000 (-$2000)
- Premium paint: $595 (all models)
- Black/Grey leather interior: $295 (all models)
- Phantom Black two-tone roof: $NCO (Highlander, deletes sunroof)
Click the images for the full gallery
MORE: Everything Hyundai Kona