The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE is available with three drivetrains with pricing ranging from $99,900 before on-road costs for the AMG GLE300d 4Matic to $166,700 before on-road costs for the GLE43.
The fourth-generation GLE (formerly known as the ML) went on sale in 2019. As with the preceding generation it will be available as both regular crossover and a more aggressively styled, less practical coupe. At the time of writing only the wagon is on sale in Australia.
UPDATE, 22/7/20 3:55pm: Pricing and specifications for the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe have been announced, ahead of first arrivals in September. Get all the details here.
In the large luxury SUV segment, the GLE and GLE Coupe account for just shy of 20 per cent of sales, ahead of BMW X5 and X6 (15.2 per cent), Range Rover Sport (12.8 per cent), and Audi Q7 (12.4 per cent).
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE300d 4Matic: $99,900
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE450 4Matic: $111,700
- 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE400d 4Matic: $118,500
- 2020 Mercedes-AMG GLE53 4Matic+: $166,700
All prices exclude on-road costs
The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE is available with three drivetrains, with Mercedes-AMG models set to join the range in the near future.
The GLE300d, with a 180kW/500Nm 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel, serves as the entry point to the range.
For diesel fans the step-up model is a GLE400d, which has a 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six engine with 243kW and 700Nm.
The sole petrol option is the GLE450, powered by a 3.0-litre turbo straight-six engine with 270kW and 500Nm. It is assisted by the 48V EQ Boost mild hybrid system, which can add 16kW and 250Nm for short bursts.
Finally, the range-topping GLE53 AMG draws on a 3.0-litre inline-six petrol engine backed by a 48V mild-hybrid system.
The petrol engine outputs 320kW of power and 520Nm of torque on its own, backed by an extra 16kW and 250Nm from the 48V EQ Boost mild-hybrid system when the driver buries the throttle
All models are fitted with all-wheel drive and a nine-speed automatic transmission.
The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE300d uses 6.9L/100km on the combined cycle, and the six-cylinder GLE400d drinks 7.7L/100km.
The petrol-powered GLE450 requires 9.1L/100km on the combined cycle, and must be fed 98RON petrol.
The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE measures 4924mm long, 1772mm to 1797mm tall, 1947mm to 2022mm wide, and has a 2995mm wheelbase.
The Mercedes-Benz GLE has an ANCAP safety rating of five stars, with scores of 91 per cent in adult occupant protection, 92 per cent in child occupant protection, 78 per cent in vulnerable road user protection, and 79 per cent in safety assist.
All GLE models are fitted with autonomous emergency braking, traffic sign recognition, blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, active parking assistance, and traffic sign recognition.
The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE300d, GLE400d, and GLE450 all have the following items as standard:
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Aluminium roof rails
- Illuminated running boards
- Keyless entry and push button start
- Puddle lights with the Mercedes-Benz logo
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Artico faux leather trim
- Heated front seats
- Climate control
- Nappa leather steering wheel
- Anthracite oak wood trim
- Auto-dimming mirrors
- Velour floor mats
- 12.3-inch digital instrumentation display
- 12.3-inch MBUX touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- DAB+ digital radio
- Satellite navigation
- Head-up display
- Electric tailgate
- Ambient lighting with 64 colours
- Active parking assistant
- Adaptive cruise control
- Autonomous emergency braking with cross-traffic stop
- Blind spot assist
- Lane change assist
- Steering assist
- Traffic sign recognition
There are a number of option packages for the GLE range, below is an abbreviated list of major ones.
Seven-Seat Package ($3900)
- Third row of seats
- Electric adjustment for the second row
AMG Sport Package ($9900)
- 21-inch alloy wheels
- AMG bumpers and exterior design
- Privacy glass
- Diamond grille with chrome studs
- Flared wheel arches
- Rear diffuser-style insert
- Panoramic sunroof
- Leather-appointed interior
- Electric front seat adjustment with memory settings
- Wireless smartphone charging
Comfort Package ($2300):
- Rear electric sun blinds
- Temperature-controlled front cupholders
- Power door closers
Night Package ($4800)
- 22-inch wheels in black
- Gloss black intakes, mirror caps, window highlights, and front and rear apron
- Airmatic air suspension
- Matte black roof rails
Vision Package ($4200):
- Panoramic sliding sunroof
- 13-speaker Burmester 590W surround sound system
- Wireless smartphone charging
Energising Package Plus ($6200):
- Heated and massaging front seats with heated arm rests
- MBUX upgrade
- Air Balance fragrance system
The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE range has capped-price servicing set at $850, $1200 and $1250 for the first three services.
Services are required every year or 25,000km, whichever comes first.