Mercedes-Benz Australia has announced pricing and specifications for the all-new GLA compact SUV, with the Audi Q3 and Volvo XC40 rival to kick off from $55,100 plus on-road costs.
The price of entry is up by around $10,000 compared to the previous model, though the three-pointed star promises more space, performance and features with its new model.
Four variants will be offered at launch, starting with the GLA200 and topping out with the hi-po AMG GLA45 S 4Matic – which eclipses the $100,000 barrier for the first time.
The new GLA is available to order now with Benz-badged models arriving in August, and AMG models due in the fourth quarter.
- GLA200: $55,100
- GLA250 4Matic: $66,500
- AMG GLA35 4Matic: $82,935
- AMG GLA45 S 4Matic+: $107,035
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The new GLA family is exclusively powered by turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engines.
GLA200 models are powered by a 1.3-litre turbo four co-developed with the Renault-Nissan Alliance, developing 120kW of power and 250Nm. Drive is sent to the front wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch auto.
The GLA250 4Matic gets a larger 2.0-litre turbo making 165kW and 350Nm, driving all four wheels via a new eight-speed dual-clutch automatic.
Opting for the AMG GLA35 (above) gets an even more powerful version of the GLA250’s 2.0-litre turbo, boosted to 225kW and 400Nm. Drive in the GLA35 is channelled through an AMG-tuned eight-speed dual-clutch transmission.
The GLA35 completes the 0-100 sprint in a claimed 5.1 seconds.
Finally, the flagship AMG GLA45 S gets a model-specific 2.0-litre turbo four outputting a hefty 310kW and 500Nm.
The powertrain is married to an eight-speed DCT with Race Start (launch control) and 4Matic+ variable all-wheel drive.
Mercedes-AMG claims a 4.3-second sprint from 0-100 for the GLA45 S, making it 0.2 seconds quicker than arch rival Audi’s new RSQ3 and RSQ3 Sportback.
Mercedes-Benz Australia is yet to quote local fuel consumption figures for our market, though overseas figures are as follows:
- GLA200: 5.7-6.0L/100km
- GLA250 4Matic: 6.9-7.1L/100km
- AMG GLA35 4Matic: 7.4-7.5L/100km
- AMG GLA45 S 4Matic+: N/A
Note: The variations in global fuel consumption data is based on the effects of different specifications on the more realistic WLTP test cycle i.e. certain wheel/tyre packages will perform differently in official testing
The new-generation Mercedes-Benz GLA is as yet untested by ANCAP or Euro NCAP.
It’s worth noting, however, that all the GLA’s platform mates – i.e. the A-Class, B-Class, CLA and GLB – have all achieved five stars with strong results across the board.
All models come as standard with autonomous emergency braking, blind-spot assist, exit warning assistant, active lane keep assist, nine airbags, an active bonnet, cross-wind assist, Pre-Safe accident anticipatory systems, and traffic sign assist.
At 4417mm long, 1834mm wide and 1616mm tall with a 2729mm wheelbase, the new GLA is 14mm shorter, 30mm wider and 122mm taller than the previous model according to Mercedes-Benz, with an extra 30mm between the axles as well.
There’s 435L of boot space with the rear seats up – an improvement of 14L compared to the outgoing model – which expands to 1430L with the back row folded, an increase of nearly 200L.
GLA200 standard features include:
- Comfort Seats in Artico leatherette upholstery
- Keyless-Go with powered tailgate
- Thermotronic climate control
- MBUX infotainment with dual 10.25-inch displays
- Satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Selectable drive modes
- 64-colour ambient interior lighting
- Rain-sensing wipers
- DAB+ radio
- Active Parking Assist with Parktronic sensors
- LED fixed headlight with Adaptive High Beam Assist
- 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels
- Progressive Equipment Line (styling)
The GLA250 4Matic adds:
- Panoramic electric sunroof
- Front seats with heating, electric adjustment and memory
- Lowered comfort suspension
- Sports-direct steering
- Off-Road Engineering Package
- Remote engine start via Mercedes Me Connect app
- 19-inch five-spoke alloys
The AMG GLA35 4Matic adds:
- AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather
- Steering-mounted AMG Drive Unit
- AMG Ride Control sports suspension
- AMG high-performance brakes
- AMG exhaust
- AMG speed-sensitive power steering
- AMG Night Package
- AMG-specific body styling
- Comfort Sport Seats in Lugano leather
- 20-inch AMG five-twin-spoke alloys
The AMG GLA45 S 4Matic+ adds:
- AMG Driver’s Package (top speed lifted to 265km/h)
- AMG Performance steering wheel in Dinamica microfibre with contrast stitching
- Comfort Sports seats in ‘Yellow Cut’ leather with contrast stitching
- AMG Track Pace
- Burmester surround sound system
- Driving Assistance Package Plus including:
- Active Distance Assist ‘Distronic’ (adaptive cruise control)
- Front cross-traffic assist
- Lane Change Assist
- Route-based speed adaptation
- Parking Package with 360-degree cameras
- Multibeam LED headlights
- AMG-specific body styling with roof-mounted spoiler lip and AMG rear apron with specific diffuser
- AMG exhaust system
- AMG brakes (360 x 36mm perforated front discs and 330 x 22mm perforated rears)
- Six-piston fixed front calipers and one-piston floating rear calipers
- 4Matic+ all-wheel drive with AMG Torque Control
- Body shell stiffening
- AMG-specific front steering knuckles and rear axle sub-frame
The GLA200 and GLA250 will be available for a limited time with the exclusive Edition 1 Package ($6990/$5990 for GLA200/GLA250) which brings the following enhancements:
- Electric and heated front seats with memory (GLA200)
- Comfort Sport seats in black/Red Cut Artico/Dinamica trim with contrast red stitching
- Carbon Structure trim with Edition lettering
- AMG floor mats in red/black with Edition lettering
- AMG exterior body styling
- Black highlights including window tint
- Edition badging
- 20-inch AMG multi-spoke alloy wheels in black with red flange
- Multibeam LED headlights
- Panoramic glass electric sunroof (GLA200)
- Lowered comfort suspension (GLA200)
- Parking Package with 360-degree camera
- Five paint colour choices:
- Polar White
- Night Black
- Cosmos Black Metallic
- Digital White Metallic
- Mountain Grey Metallic
We’re waiting to hear back from Mercedes-Benz Australia regarding service pricing for the new GLA range.
Stay tuned for an update with those details.