GWM Australia finally has a cab-chassis version of its popular ute, with the first examples of the new Ute Cannon-CC already in the country.
The brand says they’ll arrive in showrooms shortly. Notably, they’ll have no direct competition from fellow challenger brands, with the SsangYong Musso and LDV T60 not available in factory cab-chassis guise.
The regular ute’s tub is swapped out for an aluminium tray, which measures 1730mm long, 1855mm wide and 235mm deep. The tray also extends the GWM’s overall length by 101mm.
Payload is 1130kg across the cab-chassis range.
Cab-chassis variants cost an extra $1000 over their ute counterparts.
There are three variants available: a base model in either 4×2 or 4×4 guise, and a Cannon-L. No cab-chassis version of the regular ute’s Cannon-X range-topper is available.
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC 4×2: $36,990
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC 4×4: $39,990
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-L CC 4×4: $43,490
GWM Australia has also published the following prices for ABN holders.
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC 4×2: $35,490
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC 4×4: $38,490
- 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-L CC 4×4: $41,990
All prices are drive-away.
The 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC uses a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine producing 120kW of power and 400Nm of torque. It’s mated with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
It’s available with either rear- or four-wheel drive.
The 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC uses 8.4L/100km on the combined cycle in 4×2 guise – 0.1L/100km more than the corresponding ute – and 9.4L/100km as a 4×4, the latter being identical to its ute counterpart.
The 2023 GWM Ute Cannon-CC measures 5511mm long, 1934mm wide and 1886mm tall on a 3230mm wheelbase.
The tray itself measures 1730mm long, 1855mm wide and 235mm deep.
Braked towing capacity is 3000kg, while payload is 1130kg.
As with the rest of the GWM range, the Ute Cannon-CC is backed by a seven-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty and five years of roadside assistance.
There are five years of capped-price servicing, with the first – due at six months or 5,000km – costing $260.
Subsequent services are required at 12-month/10,000km intervals and cost $360 each.
After initially failing to earn a five-star ANCAP rating, the GWM Ute range was modified by the factory.
It was awarded a five-star rating in November 2021, on the condition vehicles built between September 2020 and July 2021 are retroactively upgraded to the same standards as the five-star vehicle tested later in 2021.
These later vehicles scored 86 per cent for adult occupant protection, 87 per cent for child occupant protection, 67 per cent for vulnerable road user protection, and 73 per cent for safety assist.
Standard across all models are:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Seven airbags including a front-centre airbag
- Reverse and passenger-kerbside camera views
- Rear parking sensors
- Lane-departure warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control
- Traffic sign recognition and speed warning
- Tyre-pressure monitoring
The Cannon-L CC gains a surround-view camera and front parking sensors.
The cab-chassis range consists of two trim levels.
The Cannon-CC 4×2 and 4×4 come standard with the following equipment:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic LED headlights and tail lights
- SIde steps
- Hill descent control
- 9.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- 3.5-inch instrument cluster screen
- Comfort-Tek leather upholstery
- Power outlet and USB port for dash cam
- 12V power outlet
- 220V power outlet
- Front USB port x 2
- Rear USB port x 1
- Keyless entry and start
- Paddle shifters
The Cannon-L CC gains:
- Chrome grille, door handles and mirrors
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Power driver’s seat
- Heated front seats
- Automatic climate control
- Automatic anti-glare rear-view mirror
Pearl White is the standard paint finish, with Pittsburgh Silver and Slate Grey being $595 options.
MORE: Everything GWM Ute