The Maserati Ghibli, the only BMW 5 Series rival from Italy, has received an upgraded infotainment system and some styling tweaks for 2021.
Prices have increased by $5000 for all bar the Maserati Ghibli S models, which have had their prices slashed by double that.
A new, frameless 10.1-inch touchscreen Maserati Intelligent Assistant multimedia system has been installed in the Ghibli, running on the Android Automotive operating system and featuring a new-look user interface.
The instrument cluster has seen some minor cosmetic tweaks, with the 7.0-inch information screen’s graphics updated to match the infotainment system.
The Ghibli’s suite of active safety features has been supplemented with Maserati’s Active Driving Assist, an updated version of the existing Highway Assist, which helps keep the vehicle centred in its lane on any well-maintained road at speeds of up to 145km/h if you’ve activated the adaptive cruise control.
Like the 2021 Levante and Quattroporte, the Ghibli has a restyled front grille and tail light graphics, which have a boomerang shape Maserati says is inspired by the 3200 GT. They’re not quite as dramatic as that Maserati’s, however.
GranLusso and GranSport models continue to be distinguished from each other via subtle styling tweaks, like the interior finishes, colour of the brake calipers, the design of the alloy wheels, the finish of the grille and the detail of the front bumpers – if you like chrome, the GranLusso is for you, while lovers of sportier black trim will prefer the GranSport.
Maserati offers both the Ghibli and Ghibli S in GranLusso and GranSport trims, with the trims priced identically. A standard Ghibli opens the range.
This year will see the Ghibli range expand to include a 48V mild-hybrid model with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, as well as the antithesis to that – a snarling, twin-turbocharged V8 flagship called the Trofeo.
- 2021 Maserati Ghibli: $144,990
- 2021 Maserati Ghibli GranLusso: $168,990
- 2021 Maserati Ghibli GranSport: $168,990
- 2021 Maserati Ghibli S GranLusso: $175,000
- 2021 Maserati Ghibli S GranSport: $175,000
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2021 Maserati Ghibli currently offers a choice of two twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 petrol engines.
Ghibli models produce 257kW of power and 500Nm of torque and do the 0-100km/h sprint in 5.5 seconds while Ghibli S models produce 316kW of power and 580Nm of torque and quote a 0-100km/h time of 4.9 seconds.
All models use an eight-speed automatic transmission.
The Hybrid, arriving later this year, features a turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol four-cylinder engine with a 48V mild-hybrid system. Peak power is 246kW, with a 0-100km/h time of 5.7 seconds.
The Trofeo will use a twin-turbocharged 3.8-litre petrol V8 engine with 433kW of power and 730Nm of torque, and a 0-100km/h time of 4.3 seconds.
The 2021 Maserati Ghibli consumes 11.0L/100km to 11.1L/100km on the combined cycle in both Ghibli and Ghibli S models.
All Ghibli models have an 80L fuel tank and require 98 RON premium unleaded fuel.
The 2021 Maserati Ghibli measures 4971mm long, 1461mm tall and 1945mm wide (2128mm including the mirrors) with a 2998mm wheelbase.
It has 500L of luggage space and a kerb weight of 1810kg.
Maserati offers a three-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty and a choice of two prepaid three-year servicing plans for the Ghibli.
The Premium package covers all inspections and replacements of consumables and costs $2750, while the Premium Plus includes replacement front and rear brake pads, front and rear brake discs, and wiper blades and costs $5320.
The Ghibli requires servicing every 12 months or 20,000km, whichever comes first.
The Maserati Ghibli has a five-star safety rating from ANCAP with a 2014 date stamp. It received a frontal offset score of 15.47 out of 16, a side impact score of 16 out of 16, and whiplash and pedestrian protection ratings of Good and Acceptable, for a total score of 36.47 out of 37.
All 2021 Maserati Ghibli models come standard with the following safety features:
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane-keeping assist
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Traffic sign recognition
- Active Driving Assist
- Front and side airbags for the first row
- Curtain airbags for the first and second row
- Driver’s knee airbag
The 2021 Maserati Ghibli comes standard with the following features:
- 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system with satellite navigation and wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- DAB+ digital radio
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Surround-view camera
- Paddle shifters
- Power front seats with driver’s memory
- Leather upholstery
- Reversing camera with front and rear parking sensors
- Ambient lighting
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Dual-zone climate control
- Eight-speaker sound system
- Automatic bi-xenon headlights with washers
- Heated washer jets
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- Power-adjustable steering column
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Rear limited-slip differential
- Four-piston Brembo front brakes
The GranLusso adds:
- 20-inch alloy wheels (GranLusso S)
- Matrix LED headlights
- Ermenegildo Zegna Silk interior
- Soft-close doors
- Front bumper with chrome inserts
- Black-painted brake calipers
- Six-piston Brembo front brakes
Over the standard Ghibli, the GranSport adds:
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Matrix LED headlights
- Front bumper with gloss black inserts
- Red-painted brake calipers
- Sports steering wheel
- Six-piston Brembo front brakes
Ghibli options include:
- 10-speaker 900W Harman Kardon sound system
- 15-speaker 1280W Bowers & Wilkins sound system
- Power rear sunblind
- Heated and ventilated front seats
- Heated rear seats
- Remote start
- Wireless charging
- Laminated rear glass
- Power sunroof