The Audi A4 family has been refreshed for 2020, with updated models now available in local showrooms.
The range has been rejigged, with a turbo-diesel returning to the A4 Allroad line after a brief absence and the mid-range 40TFSI disappearing.
35 TFSI and 45TFSI models now feature 12V mild-hybrid systems claimed to improve efficiency.
Visual tweaks include a wider, flatter grille with a new honeycomb insert within and ventilation slots above. The sedan and Avant both have grown 24mm longer and 5mm wider, while the allroad features wider wheel arches.
Inside, there’s a larger, 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system with the latest version of Audi’s MMI interface.
Prices have actually decreased slightly, with the entry price for the range down $200 to $55,900 before on-road costs.
- 2020 Audi A4 35 TFSI: $55,900
- 2020 Audi A4 35 TFSI S Line: $59,900
- 2020 Audi A4 45 TFSI quattro S Line: $68,900
- 2020 Audi A4 Allroad 40 TDI quattro: $69,900
- 2020 Audi A4 Avant 45 TFSI quattro S Line: $71,400
- 2020 Audi A4 Allroad 45 TFSI quattro: $72,900
All prices exclude on-road costs.
Audi A4 35 TFSI models feature a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine with a 12V mild-hybrid system and a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. It produces 110kW of power and 270Nm of torque and is available only with front-wheel drive.
Audi claims a 0-100km/h time of 8.6 seconds.
The A4 45 TFSI also features a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine, a 12V mild-hybrid system and a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, but is available only with quattro all-wheel drive. In this model, the 2.0-litre produces 183kW of power and 370Nm of torque.
Audi claims a 0-100km/h time of 5.8 seconds for the sedan, 6.0 seconds for the Avant, and 6.1 seconds for the allroad.
A 2.0-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine is available only in the all-wheel drive A4 Allroad.
Also mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic, it produces 140kW of power and 400Nm of torque and does the 0-100km/h dash in 7.9 seconds.
On the ADR combined cycle, the A4 35 TFSI consumes 6.1L/100km. The 45 TFSI consumes 7.1L/100km in the sedan, 7.3L/100km in the Avant and 7.4L/100km in the allroad, while the 40TDI sips only 5.2L/100km.
The 2020 Audi A4 sedan and Avant measure 4762mm long, 1431mm tall (1435mm in the Avant) and 1847mm wide, excluding the mirrors.
Luggage space is 460L in the sedan and 495L in the Avant and Allroad, expanding to 1495L in the wagon models with the second row folded.
The Audi A4 has an ANCAP rating of five stars, based on Euro NCAP testing conducted in 2015.
The five-star rating was based on an adult occupant protection score of 89 per cent, child occupant protection score of 87 per cent, vulnerable road user protection score of 75 per cent and a safety assist score of 75 per cent.
All 2020 Audi A4 models come standard with autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection, as well as an exit warning system, rear cross-traffic alert, blind-spot monitoring, and front, side and curtain airbags.
The A4 35 TFSI comes standard with the following features:
- 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, DAB+ digital radio and satellite navigation
- Eight-speaker sound system
- Audi Connect Plus navigation, security and assistance services
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Cruise control
- Reversing camera with front and rear parking sensors
- Automatic headlights
- Rain-sensing wipers
- LED headlights
- Proximity entry with push-button start
- Power driver’s seat
- Leather upholstery
- Ambient lighting
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Qi wireless phone charging
- 40:20:40 split-folding rear seat
An optional Assistance Package adds:
- Adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go and traffic jam assist
- Lane-keeping assist
- Adaptive high beam
- Turn assist
- Audi pre-sense front
- Collision avoidance assist
Over the 35 TFSI’s standard equipment, the 35 TFSI S Line and 40 TDI allroad add:
- Power-adjustable front sport seats
- 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit digital instrument cluster
- Power-folding exterior mirrors
- Auto-dimming interior mirror
- Paddle shifters
All allroad models feature 18-inch alloy wheels as standard.
The 45 TFSI adds:
- 10-speaker sound system
- Sport steering wheel
Matrix LED headlights and a 19-speaker Bang & Olfsen premium surround sound system are optional on 45 TFSI models only. A black and carbon appearance package is available only on the 45 TFSI sedan.
Optional on all bar the base 35 TFSI is the Assistance Plus package, which includes the features of the Assistance package as well as:
- Head-up display
- Semi-autonomous parking assist
- 360-degree camera
An S Line package is available on 45 TFSI models and includes:
- Nappa leather upholstery
- Stainless steel pedals
- Colour-adjustable ambient lighting
- Contrasting stitching
- Perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- Brushed aluminium interior trim
Standalone options include a sunroof (panoramic in wagon models) and heated front seats.
Audi offers both a three-year and a five-year servicing plan, priced at $1710 and $2720, respectively. The allroad 40 TDI is more expensive to service, with its three- and five-year plans costing $2050 and $3190.